Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
That's one of the reasons that I took to posting up snippets instead of full workouts, because my journal is handwritten, I can't just copy and paste and writing the entire thing up twice is just tedious.
Besides using excel, and journal entries in One Note, I generally like to hand write my diet and workout contents, and take the notebook with me to work. My notebook looks like this:

Each day during the month, I write down my total calories and macros and where applicable -/+ from approximated MT-Line, and whether a workout was performed that day. In another log, I write down what the actual food content is.

Leaves no guess work. If I run into a problem, I have data to make educated changes from.

In addition, it has the workout sheet from one workout to the next, and progression or improvement status, etc. Again, this leaves no guess work. If I run into a problem, I have data to make educated changes from where applicable.

In one note, I write down how I felt, how the workout went, where I need improvement, etc, etc. I have another calender in which indicates the workout schedule. Excel is where I make the workout sheets. These are older pics, but its the same notebook I am using now.

I have a pretty good setup, and have been doing this for a few years now with great success.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #62
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Continuing from above post.

Having a caloric/macro-nutrient log, personal feelings log (just for yourself), and weight training log have extra-ordinary benefits:

1. You can pinpoint exactly when a progression plateau develops in your training routine, and you know the corresponding rest periods given at this time (between sets of exercises, AND between workouts).

You also know what type of training you have been doing.

2. You can then look at your diet (with a KNOWLEDEABLE EYE) within this period--because you have a very CLOSE approximation of what you had been consuming up to the point of the problem.

3. You also have a history of how you felt leading up to your problem. In addition, you will have a log on your strengths achieved from your training and any physical improvements.

Now, lets say one embarks on "active" learning toward, weight training, diet, and mental factors associated with what they are doing (Is trying to learn all he/she can while exercising at the same time).

One can take this foundation, make applicable changes, and will not be guessing as to prior history and will have something SOLID to work with.

Additionally, if one decides to get a trainer........this information is absolutely PRICELESS.

Its been my opinion, that one needs to learn how to "master their self" within the confinement of the types of bodily feedback (psychological, biological, etc) that one WILL receive when deficit dieting or surplus dieting.

We deal with motivation issues while living life, and meet and exceed our goals, and pay so little attention to the VERY ISSUE that is the motivation killer in diet and fitness.

ONE MUST TRAIN THEIR MIND and while in development, you will have the tools to work with to deal with psychological, biological, etc, that WILL COME your way. Be not surprised.

This WILL NOT BE THE FIRST TIME nor the last.

It should be no surprise that if you "diet", that the body is going to kick in some psychological and biological defenses to compel you to eat or if one is in surplus, cause barriers in eating enough. And, it should be no surprise that the body can (and could) adjust "metabolically" as you deficit diet/surplus diet, and learning how to adapt along with it (by using knowledge to IMPROVE IT), will assist you.

In addition, it should be no surprise that parts of ones personality (likes and dislikes, etc) can be a inhibitor. We can spend so much time on the basics on diet and fitness, and lose focus on one of the PRIMARY functions that can cause failure: Psychological and biological feed back of the body. Give TIME to gain knowledge on how to deal with them.

Then learn how to apply what you have learned--you WILL NOT be sorry for the time or effort sacrificed.

This is my opinion anyway.

Peace and happiness, too all Mabers.

Chillen

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #63
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Now that is impressive. I thought Coming back to re-read this after a few errands.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #64
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Now that is impressive. I thought Coming back to re-read this after a few errands.
Thank you, Steve. I am just in the opinion (referring to myself), that I do not want to be left "holding my penis" (so-to-speak), when a problem comes up in training or diet. If I am making sacrifices to fit certain criteria of fitness into my life, and making a heart-felt effort in the gym, then I WANT some data to help me help myself--when a problem develops (and they do). You know, they never a wrote a book for each of us individually, we have to write it ourselves.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #65
Chillen
Max Brawn

My beloved tomato plants grown inside the last two months in 25 gallon blue laundry baskets (the same ones I used last year):

They are already huge. Setting them outside (or at least my son is while I am at work, lol), during the day, it frosted this morning, but the plants were a toasty 70 degrees in the garage with lights. And, no I do not prune. I get a good yield, normally without doing so. In the baskets they normally get to about 5 to 6 feet in height.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #66
Chillen
Max Brawn

My son caught this (along with about 20 other smaller crappie) yesterday evening when he went fishing, lol:

Nice size Crappie...(Sent by phone).

I'm jealous, LOL.

He is going to bring a few fillets for me tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,

He had better!!!!

Chillen

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #67
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

C-man. I, for one would love to see the spreadsheets you work from? I am a bit geekish and that turns my crank. Nice fish. Good eating?
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #68
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
C-man. I, for one would love to see the spreadsheets you work from? I am a bit geekish and that turns my crank. Nice fish. Good eating?
I will post all of them up today. If can help you, then I am happy, Bam.

No problem.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #69
Chillen
Max Brawn

The way I cook Crappie: The only time I eat Cheez-it crackers, is when I make a batter with crushed Cheez-it, and Parmesan, and then dip the crappie fillets in, and then bake.

It is really good. Other then the crappie....he, he, cheez-it, its pretty healthy.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #70
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Keep you the good work lads. Chillen, your attention to detail is astounding and a credit to you.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote