BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I agree with you on OHP, Josh! Deserves it's own day. Still, there you go. If you want to give your delts a bit of a break, maybe push press instead of OHP? I know that first drive off the bottom in OHP is what kills my delts. The lockout isn't so bad.

Don't know if this helps either, but when I did DB bench. I put both dumbells down on floor, picked them up hammer grip and cleaned them to the front of my shoulders (one knob of DB was resting on shoulders), then sat down on bench and leaned back, pushing them up off my shoulders just before lying completely down. That was my first rep too! I counted it as I wanted that exercise over as soon as possible. This actualy works even better for inclines, but I can't imagine anything working well with OHP. Just a thought.

Great stuff as usual!
Thanks mike! I might try the push presses. I've actually never used them. Now might be a great time.
As for cleaning the dbs on to the shoulders, I may do that with some lighter weights, but there is no way I'm going to try to throw those heavy bastards up. I just don't think it's going to happen. Not because the idea is bad, but because I don't think I'm strong enough.
Thanks as always for the feedback.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #42
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default 2/21/12

Front Squat
185x3x3

Back Squat
225x8x3

Romanian Deadlift
215x8x3

Leg Press
270x12x3

Overall Workout Grade: B+

Notes:
Front squats went a lot better this time. After reading an article or 2 and getting some tips from MaBers, they felt much much better. I decided to go with low rep ranges and try to progress forward. I used the "clean grip" technique with only 2 or 3 fingers under the bar. Really puffed out my chest and kept my elbows upward and inward. It felt great, secure and relatively pain free. However, there was an issue with discomfort/pain in my wrist. I think this is due to a lack of tricep flexibility, forcing my wrists to be in a less than optimal position. All in all, i'm looking forward to continuing to work with, develop, and utilize this movement.

Back squats felt great. I'll bump up the weight next week. I'm really focusing on tightening the hell out of everything before I drop down into the whole. I've been reading Pavel, and this is one of the things he suggests. Don't know how big of a difference it is making, but I feel like it is making a difference.

RDLs felt muy bueno. I'll bump them up next week.

Leg press was just icing on the cake.
Didn't work my calves again (directly) this week. Oh well.

Another interesting note, I am out of my intra workout BCAAs. (Currently dymatzie recoup). And I went straight from work to the gym, which means no full meal before my workout, just a banana. Well, I don't know if it was mental or not, but I felt a noticeable difference.
The water just didn't seem like enough for one.
And the biggest thing I noticed was that I had a harder time recovering between sets.
Was it all in my head or was there an actual difference. Don't know for sure.....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #43
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 2/24/12

Deads
335x5x3
Pendlay Rows
170x6x3
Lat Pulldown
160x8,8,7
Seated Cable Row
145x10x3
DB Curls
40x8,8,7
EZ Bar Preacher Curl
55x10x3
DB Shrugs
120x8x3 PR
Incline Crunch
BW+10x6,4 (See Notes)
Planks BWx60,51 (seconds)

Overall Workout Grade A-

Notes:
It's all good in the hood. This workout went well.
Still creeping my deads back up. They are feeling challenging, yet smooth bar speed and no grinding them out or slowing down. Looking forward to getting back to 4 PPS sooner than later.
Rows felt strong.
Lat pulldown went good. I really have neglected the vertical pulling plane. I need to man up and do pull ups. Just with my bodyweight right now it is quite difficult.
Cable rows felt good. I've used these many times in the past so it's not like they are new to me, but from my current perspective, I can't help but think these are an underrated movement.
Db curls felt like curls.
DB shrug PR!! I think I've actually been breaking my DB shrug PR for quite a few weeks, but I looked at 120 as a milestone. I'll probably reset them back and work back up.

Which brings me to a rant/epiphany. I am going to step up my game, workout smarter and utilize what (I believe) is called wave cycling. I'm sure many of you guys are familiar with it. It's basically working up and progressing and periodically reseting and working back up. That's probably a pretty crappy description. Look at it like taking a step or 2 back to take many steps forward. Anywho, I think if I would have used this on my last routine I would have been much more successful.
Anyway, I'll be trying to implement it from here on out. I think as a lifter it's what I need to make progress.

Did weighted crunches as wendler recommends with the weight behind my head. If you guys aren't doing your weighted crunches this way you should try, because it is legit. I used to do weight crunches holding the plate or plates straight up towards the ceiling. I could do this with more than 3 times more weight than I can with the plate behind my head.

Threw in some planks since I couldn't hit all 3 sets of weighted crunches.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 02-25-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #44
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default Here is a picture represtentation of wave cycling, along with linear and step.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #45
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Nice session josh..when I do my crunches I usually hold the weight across my chest...I got t-Rex arms though....LOL

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Another interesting note, I am out of my intra workout BCAAs. (Currently dymatzie recoup). And I went straight from work to the gym, which means no full meal before my workout, just a banana. Well, I don't know if it was mental or not, but I felt a noticeable difference.
The water just didn't seem like enough for one.
And the biggest thing I noticed was that I had a harder time recovering between sets.
Was it all in my head or was there an actual difference. Don't know for sure.....
I feel the same if I don't have BCAAs or protein in water during a workout. Some would same it's mental, and perhaps it is, but I like to stay on the cautious side.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #47
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Which brings me to a rant/epiphany. I am going to step up my game, workout smarter and utilize what (I believe) is called wave cycling. I'm sure many of you guys are familiar with it. It's basically working up and progressing and periodically reseting and working back up. That's probably a pretty crappy description.
I know what you mean. Fazc and I were talking about it this week with regards to transitions. I like the staggered approaches because they allow for yearly progression even though you are moving around a bit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #48
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Nice session josh..when I do my crunches I usually hold the weight across my chest...I got t-Rex arms though....LOL

Silverback Barbell
Thatnks Silverback. Try them with the plate behind your head if you are feeling froggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I feel the same if I don't have BCAAs or protein in water during a workout. Some would same it's mental, and perhaps it is, but I like to stay on the cautious side.
I had my first workout session with BCAAs. I went 2 workouts without. I didn't think anything of it until I saw this post.
When I compare this workout w/ bcaas compared to the other 2 without, there is a noticeable, significant difference.
i want to stress, that I didn't think anything of it until just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I know what you mean. Fazc and I were talking about it this week with regards to transitions. I like the staggered approaches because they allow for yearly progression even though you are moving around a bit.
The staggered approach or wave cycling is like a preemptive strike against stalling. I'm not going to be scientific about it, it's going to be more of a feel thing. Meaning I'm going to play it by ear on a lift by lift basis and when a.) I hit certain goals or b.) progress slows I will reset back.
It's more of a commitment to reset when needed instead of pushing through and grinding it out.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #49
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 2/26/12

DB Bench press
110x5,5,4

Incline BB Bench
140x8x3

Cable crossovers
25x12x3

OHP
110x8x3

DB seated lateral raise
25x10,10,8

Lying Tricep extension
95x8,7,4

Cable Pushdown (straight Bar)
130x12x3

Reverse Pec Deck
115x10x3

Overall Workout Grade:A-

Notes:
Hit 1 more rep on my db bench press. Hopefully I'll hit my rep goal next week, jump up to 120 the week after that and then reset back to 105. That's the plan right now.

Incline press felt good. I'll bump them up another 5lbs next week.

OHP felt good. Starting to adapt to doing them after all the bench pressing. Hopefully they will continue to progress.

Bumped up my lying tricep extensions by 5 lbs. Failed pretty hard on set 3. I'm thinking things will improve next week.

Cable pushdowns felt good. Really destroyed my triceps.
This routine overall is an absolute tricep destroyer. Good day in the gym. I'm looking forward to leg day.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #50
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Nice pressing! Glad to see this routine is treating you well.