BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Definitely not! The fact that you tried 3 different grip variations speaks for itself.

If you have access to kettlebells, you could try a KB front squat, but the weightload would have to be way low as they are, for some reason, harder, according to some powerlifters that can press huge numbers with the barbell but are humbled with the KBs.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice 5kg. I can't say I've ever used kettlebells. That is somethign I'll look into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well I probably wouldn't do more than one rest-pause per day while also doing strength. For example, if I were to use this for squat strength and leg size I might do:

--Squats 531
--Leg Press 7 rest pause sets
--Then whatever else you want for hammies, lower back, abs, whatever.

--Dealifts 531
--Rows 7 rest pause sets
--Then whatever else you want for posterior chain, biceptzors, abs, whatever.
Thank you jedi master. wendler actually has a 5/3/1 variation for rest pause that is very similar. I think I might end up just sticking with what I'm doing for a few weeks and go from there. I am definitely going to use rest pause down the road, just not sure when yet.
Thanks again.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Choose your Jedi Master, Padawn.

I pick chewbacca.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Here's a couple things that helped me with Front squats that I don't believe are in SS. These are for using clean grip, as I don't like either the straps or crossgrip for the same reasons you didn't like them.
1. Stretch your triceps as much as your wrists. Turns out your wrists can actually be flexible enough, but your triceps tight and you can't bend enough. As big a bencher as you are, I could see that being an issue. So, really spend a few minutes stretching your triceps before FS, and I also stretch them pretty seriously after benching too.
2. Only put 2-3 fingers under the bar to start. It seems to work better than having them ping off one by one while you are doing your reps. And it can just be fingertips if necc. As long as your elbows are perpendicular to the floor or higher, the bar won't move. Oh, and also try a wider grip, sometimes that can help, esp. if you have longish arms.
3. Jam the bar into your throat, and take a big breath concentrating on pushing your chest up to your chin and hold it. Hold that breath the whole way, and look up during your reps.
4. Think chest up off the bottom as opposed to hips up, but also try to force your elbows up too, sort of lead up with them and your chest.
5. Only do sets of 3 or less until you get more comfortable with the movement.

That has helped me. Hope some of that is useful to you, buddy! Don't be too hard on yourself, well unless it helps you get better by being hard on yourself. Then by all means flog yourself silly.
Very Good post mike!!!! Thanks for the information man. I'll apply these tips next leg day!!.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 2/17/12 Squat rack curler F**K YOU!!!!

Deadlift
325x5x3

Pendlay Rows
165x6x3

Lat Pulldown
160x8,8,6

Seated Cable Row
140x10x3

DB Curls
35x8x3

Preacher Curls
55x8x3

DB Shrugs
115x8x3

Overall Workout Grade: A

Notes:
Good workout this evening!
Deads felt very strong.
Rows felt strong. Hell everything felt good tonight.
Taking it easy on progression, started out with manageable weights. Using a bit more volume. Feeling great.

So, when I got to the gym there was this out of shape lame d bag who does nothing but bench press light weight, do tricep kick backs and curl 85lbs in the squat rack. He also wheres a weight belt under his fat gut the whole time he is working out. Literally under his gut. It is doing absolutely nothing. Oh and he grunts every time he does a rep or even grabs a barbell or dumbell. Real winner.
Anywho, he was curling in the squat rack as always. I say curling, but it was more of a full body thrust. So, I kindly told him that it was bad gym etiquette to curl in the squat rack. He said, "yeah, I've been told and I don't care".
I couldn't help but think 2 things, 1) I want to punch you in the parking lot and 2.) You are a double mcdouchel with cheese.
I just laughed it off and went about my business. A lop like that will never get any respect from other men in the gym. And I can't help but to think how that must suck.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
So, when I got to the gym there was this out of shape lame d bag who does nothing but bench press light weight, do tricep kick backs and curl 85lbs in the squat rack.
We was just doing the program in the bro manual. Stop picking on him.

Quote:
Anywho, he was curling in the squat rack as always. I say curling, but it was more of a full body thrust.
Preparing his love muscle for an important mission.

Quote:
So, I kindly told him that it was bad gym etiquette to curl in the squat rack. He said, "yeah, I've been told and I don't care".
I bet that attitude works well with his boss.

Oh, and nice workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
UncleSlam
Brawn
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Heavy as possible
Fav Supp: Raw Beef
UncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality posts

I hate it when people do that. The Afghans are notorious for this but we have to let them in our gym. But they will bench press 55lbs (Yes I mean 55lbs including the bar) with horrible form and just sit there on it for like 2 hours.That and they will also use the squat rack for curls and half presses. It infuriates me to no end.

I actually organized a one day class on weightlifting for them and took over 3 hours to go over everything. They of course didn't pay attention and do the same weight for the past months with the same garbage form.
UncleSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Nice job Josh, keep it up! I've got those guys in my gym too, and all I can do is laugh and shake my head. He'll probably get bored with the lack of progress and quit.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #28
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
We was just doing the program in the bro manual. Stop picking on him.

Preparing his love muscle for an important mission.

I bet that attitude works well with his boss.

Oh, and nice workout.
HAHA. Great post. I'm sure his love muscle hasn't been on any missions for quite a while.
He probably has a miserable life.

Thanks BtB.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSlam View Post
I hate it when people do that. The Afghans are notorious for this but we have to let them in our gym. But they will bench press 55lbs (Yes I mean 55lbs including the bar) with horrible form and just sit there on it for like 2 hours.That and they will also use the squat rack for curls and half presses. It infuriates me to no end.

I actually organized a one day class on weightlifting for them and took over 3 hours to go over everything. They of course didn't pay attention and do the same weight for the past months with the same garbage form.
With the squat rack curls and half presses it sounds no different from a commercial gym here in the states!

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Nice job Josh, keep it up! I've got those guys in my gym too, and all I can do is laugh and shake my head. He'll probably get bored with the lack of progress and quit.
Thanks t-bone.
I try to laugh, but when they get in the way it is annoying.
And I've been hoping he goes away...

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.