Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #451
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
It will be quality for a bean pole like me. I am finding it interesting that I am in the midst of seeing some of my best strength and size gains in a long time. I think the back ailment has caused me to really focus more on what I am doing. Earlier in the summer I was just lifting weights. Now there is a purpose to each exercise, more thought to the why's and hows and this, in turn, has moved me from working out into training. This McCallum hybrid with my lumbar work arounds is a blessing in disguise.
Well 135 for 3x5 is no weak sauce.

Keep that back healthy.

Did you make this hybrid or find it somewhere?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #452
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well 135 for 3x5 is no weak sauce.

Keep that back healthy.

Did you make this hybrid or find it somewhere?
McCallums growth routine is a 4 day body part spilt. I tweaked it into a three day Fullbody routine, using the concept of McCallum's "pump sets" on one or two body parts each day. At present since my legs are further along, I have been focusing the "pump sets" on my upper body. Because of my back issues, I have been working to find the movements that will let me optimize the best growth with the least amount of stress on the L5-S1. That said, this is still a work in progress.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #453
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Finding the things that excite us in the weight room keeps us motivated. Having them be productive is even more exiting. Keep smashing it Bama.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #454
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Finding the things that excite us in the weight room keeps us motivated. Having them be productive is even more exiting. Keep smashing it Bama.
Thanks man. See today's session.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #455
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Default 10/12/12 Dog House Training

McCallum Hybrid

WARMUP
foam rolling of legs, glutes and back
5 minutes Bike
Inversion time
Step ups
BW lunges
Plate rotations
Shoulder Dislocates

WORKING SETS

Leg Curls
5 x 50
5 x 60
5 x 70
5 x 75
5 x 75
Good Morning Pump Sets
10 x 8 x 65

Hip Thrusters
3 x 8 x 45

Vertical Leg Press
5 x 150
5 x 170
5 x 190
5 x 200
5 x 200

Bench Press
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 151 PR
PUMP SETS
10 x 8 x 75

Kroc Rows
5 x 50
4 x 5 x 60
PUMP SETS
5 x 8 x 35

Glass OHP
5 x 8 x 40 PWO

NOTES
Friday's are nice, when I don't have Band stuff to do. I was able to take my time and work myself.
Leg Curls - A ham torture that puts little stress on the lumbar region. Working on weak area, hams and glutes.
Good Mornings - shoulder width stance, push butt back, hinge at the hips and work the hamstrings. A closer stance hits me more in the back.
Hip Thrusters - working those glutes
Vertical Leg Press - Still getting used to this machine. It is not the smoothest ride up and down, so I need to do some tweaking. Still seeking the optimal foot position.
Bench Press - Why 151? I wanted to better my previous best not tie it. Struggled a bit with last rep, it was ugly, but I got it up. Chest was burning after Pump sets. As I sat down to start the set of 151, Pandora starts playing "Eye of the Tiger." As the pump sets start, "Theme from Superman." Gets you a bit fired up.
Kroc Rows - I was worn out after set number 5 of the pump sets. Was not sure I could pull another set of 8 so I shut it down to finish my routine
Glass Style OHP - Nice and smooth. A good finisher.

Great day. Started with my homemade pre-workout. Was focused and moved as fast as possible, but still had time to throw the ball for Cleveland between sets. A few days of rest and back at it on Monday.

30 Minutes on the Bike yesterday. Hoping to make that a frequent practice.

Have my first private training session with a couple from my Fit For the King ministry in the morning. Pray for me.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #456
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Have my first private training session with a couple from my Fit For the King ministry in the morning. Pray for me.
Hope it goes well

Quote:
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 151 PR
Bam! No, Bama!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #457
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hope it goes well

Bam! No, Bama!
Thanks birthday boy. You have a great day!

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #458
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks hombre. Go Badgers!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #459
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Default 10/15/12 Dog House Training

McCalllum Hybrid

WARMUP
5 minute bike
Inversion
Step ups
Lunges
Shoulder rotations
Tube work

Working Sets

Leg Curls
8 x 45
8 x 60
8 x 70
Glute Ham Raises
3 x 10 x BW - slow down, slight push to start back up

Behind the Neck Press
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135 - ugly
5 x 135 - uglier
3 x 135 - ugliest
Pump Sets
10 x 8 x 75

Smith Machine Pendlay Rows
8 x 50 Plate Weight ONLY
4 x 8 x 70 PWO

Pushup/Dip superset
10 /10
10 / 6
10 / 5

NOTES
Today was measurement day. While within my own margin of error. Thigh up .5", Fore arm and Bicep up .25" from one month ago. I am not getting overly excited as there are too many factors that can cause this miniscule increase to happen. I have backed off of Squats and quad work and have focused on hamstrings and glutes a bit more. This could have a slight affect on the leg measurement. At any rate, weight is up 3 lbs, though I am not trying to gain or lose. I am going to continue to eat as I am through the holidays. January 1, 2013 will start a new journey, to get below 10% BF for the first time. Will be tough with all that will be happening in our household throughout the spring, but I am going to make it happen.

In the Dog House today. I am fighting some sort of allergy or sinus thing. I am praying it is not the start of the upper respiratory ailment that is running through the church, as it hits hard and has folks out for a week or two.

Leg Curls - Hams tight, this was more to loosen them up than anything.
GHR - Figured out a workable set up using the smith bar. Today felt the best so far. Now to achieve the goal of at least one rep down and up with absolutely no help.
BHNP - Heavy weight stayed the same, but felt uber heavy today. I still need to work on set up. It is amazing how a few millimeters can make anything seem hard. The last three sets were not pretty, but I did achieve full ROM.
Smith Machine Pendlays - Been trying to figure out a way to hit back with a little more weight and less stress on the lumbar. May not sound Kosher, but for me the Pendlay stance puts less stress on my back than a regular bent row does. I played with the Smith a bit and found that my ROM with the Pendlay is fairly straight up and down, working well with the Smith. I am currently feeling these in my back where I wanted to feel them. Good sign.
Pushup/Dips - Today was not chest pump day so I just wanted to finish myself off. These did the job. My triceps were so tight and pumped the dips were ugly and near impossible.

I would give today a B+. Still alot of room for improvement, but very good overall.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #460
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Great to see your bench rocketing upwards. Some serious weights on BTN Presses too.

Just curious, which one do you find easier - military presses, or BTN? And how different do they feel in terms of the muscles hit?
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote