Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97 View Post
Good luck man,

Use the water mixed with fiber powder to help get you between meals, and chew alot of mint gum. When I start dieting I chew so much gum its almost like I just quit smoking..lol

You can do it.
Thanks Mauler. I WILL make this work. I need a diet that allows for massive food on the weekends

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Thanks Mauler. I WILL make this work. I need a diet that allows for massive food on the weekends
Good luck MAB, I know you will do great and just look forward to those saturdays!

And how are you tracking your calories? Are you using a website or keeping track by hand??
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

You can do it. Once you settle into it, it will be easier, and you will probably get to feel better on the low cal days.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Good luck MAB, I know you will do great and just look forward to those saturdays!

And how are you tracking your calories? Are you using a website or keeping track by hand??
Thanks guys.

I track them in my brain. I've been counting calories for over 20 years...it seems like second nature. I know just about every calorie of every food.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #15
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I'll be following this one. Question though. How did you determine your daily calories? I think I remember seeing something related to a person's BMR in a different thread, but I can't seem to find it. Good luck, I'm very interested.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I'll be following this one. Question though. How did you determine your daily calories? I think I remember seeing something related to a person's BMR in a different thread, but I can't seem to find it. Good luck, I'm very interested.
I used:

BMR Calculator

I didn't stick strict to the numbers, but close enough.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

So let me get this straight. On training days you eat at your BMR. On nontraining days you eat below BMR, and once a week you eat BMRx2? That's what I was wondering.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
So let me get this straight. On training days you eat at your BMR. On nontraining days you eat below BMR, and once a week you eat BMRx2? That's what I was wondering.
That's basically it when you're trying to cut.

You can use spike for maintenance and bulking as well, as far as I understand it.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

So for me, a male, age 46, 5'10" 215 lbs. I get to generously consume 1981.65 calories on training days? About 1481.65 on non training days (what should I do AFTER breakfast?)? And about 3963.3 on the spike day?

Sorry to hijack your journal. I just need some clarification. All this talk by you and a few others about cutting has got me motivated.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
So for me, a male, age 46, 5'10" 215 lbs. I get to generously consume 1981.65 calories on training days? About 1481.65 on non training days (what should I do AFTER breakfast?)? And about 3963.3 on the spike day?

Sorry to hijack your journal. I just need some clarification. All this talk by you and a few others about cutting has got me motivated.
NP. Hijack away. That's why this forum is here.

If I remember correctly, you shouldn't go below 2,000 calories on any days. The BMR is more of a guideline then anything. I hold weight around 3300 calories per day, and I will be averaging 2600 per day on the Spike.

If I were you, I'd try 2000 on non-training days, 2500 on training days, and 4500 on Spike days. This would put you close to 2500 per day on the average, which should be a good range for you. I can't see how you wouldn't lose fat at that level. Heck, you're an active guy...you might be able to pull off 5000 on Spike days and lose weight.

I think Mauler, our forum-mate that invented the Spike could provide more feedback. But, with that said, Dr. Squat Fred Hatfield had me zig-zagging long before I heard of the Spike. Though Fred Hatfield's approach is slightly different, the theory is the same.

I think it's best for anyone trying the spike to find their maintenance level, subtract 400 calories per day from that (or 2800 calories per week), and reverse engineer the Spike in that fashion.

Or, just take my template and tweak.