Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
vcjha
New Brawn
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

vcjha is off to a bad start

Week 2 day 2: a bit late but here it is

Nothing special. Didnt feel like I was dragging the workout but didn't seem like I was giving full effort either. Still stuck at 75 for 8 reps for 3 sets on db shoulder press. So I'll just say the weights and reps

BB bench press 185 2 sets 7 reps
DB bench press 95 2 sets 6 reps
BB row 195 3 sets 7 reps
Seated DB shoulder press 75 in each hand 3 sets 7 reps
Close Grip Bench Press 175 3 sets 7 reps
vcjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Still stuck at 75 for 8 reps for 3 sets on db shoulder press.
That's some pretty impressive pressing. For how many workouts have you been stalled here?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #13
vcjha
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's some pretty impressive pressing. For how many workouts have you been stalled here?
Hey, BTB, sorry for the late reply. Wedding lasted the whole day and night....on Black Friday Why thank you. I should probably shoot a video sometime when I get my new phone in April, but I could say form could improve as I know my range of motion is pretty wide, although I stop as soon as my triceps are parallel to the ground. I will say that I do standing BB shoulder press with very good form(I haven't done sitting in a while now due to the fact I feel more "alpha" when I do standing compared to sitting) but I probably can only do 5 reps at 145 lb for two sets.

I also have to say that my forearms are a bit slanted during the whole movement and could be more straight(also the fact I've tweaked both shoulders and now they're rounded). But yes, I see that it's a good achievement. I've been stuck for about three weeks now, and prior to when I got on your routine, I was working out everyday for about three weeks to compensate working each bodypart twice a week at only two bodyparts per workout.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
vcjha
New Brawn

I apologize for long inactivity. But I got sick during my visit to Florida(apparently I got the memo too late that Flo is full of allergens). It intensified to a burning chest cough along with a bloody nose, but today was my first workout back. Yep, I had to skip legs. Along with more thinking, I decided to analyze my lifting deeper, and here's the truth why I've been plateauing: my range of motion is horrible. It's been responsible for some of my failed sets. The second I go below parallel, I can't do another rep. Weights have dropped back down due to the break but I'm sure they'll ramp back up soon.

Deadlifts 255 for 5 reps, Incline Bench Press 80 in each hand for 6 reps. Rows was horrible today after trying to do proper form. My back was nearly straight when doing them in the past. After trying proper form, my ego is hurt realizing I have to go back to 45's on each side. My shoulder press gets so weak after going through all those exercises, but 65's in each hand, for 7 reps. Finally CG bench press went a bit down but still pretty good at 6 reps for 175. Each exercise is still done for 3 sets. I'm thinking about switching deadlift back to lower day but the thought of deadlifting after squatting is a nightmare to me since in the past I could say my leg pain was equal to when I did squats previously during that workout.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Using full range of motion will make you use lighter weights. That's just the way it is. Don't worry, that will make you stronger in the long run. When you do DB overhead presses, come all the way down. I actually touch the dumbells to my shoulders. Same with DB bench press where I actually touch the DB's to my chest. The fact that your DB presses are so high compared to your BB work tells me that you're probably not using enough range of motion. Don't be afraid to go down in weight and do it right. Slight inward angle of the forearms is actually normal on any DB presses, so don't worry about that.

As for rows, there's a reason hardly anyone does them correctly; they're hard and you can use a lot more weight if you do it wrong. Stick to your guns. Flat back, just a little body movement, pull with your elbows and squeeze your back at the top.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
vcjha
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Using full range of motion will make you use lighter weights. That's just the way it is. Don't worry, that will make you stronger in the long run. When you do DB overhead presses, come all the way down. I actually touch the dumbells to my shoulders. Same with DB bench press where I actually touch the DB's to my chest. The fact that your DB presses are so high compared to your BB work tells me that you're probably not using enough range of motion. Don't be afraid to go down in weight and do it right. Slight inward angle of the forearms is actually normal on any DB presses, so don't worry about that.

As for rows, there's a reason hardly anyone does them correctly; they're hard and you can use a lot more weight if you do it wrong. Stick to your guns. Flat back, just a little body movement, pull with your elbows and squeeze your back at the top.
Yep, better now than later. I do have to say it makes DB shoulder presses feel weird to do. But I remember when dips and deadlifts felt weird to do too :P. Yep, my DB is so much higher than barbell but I have a feeling even after I conquer the range of motion, it still will be higher than BB.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Some nice work in here mate, hope to see you make some beastly progress.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
vcjha
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Some nice work in here mate, hope to see you make some beastly progress.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
vcjha
New Brawn

Really hectic schedule now that it's December. Work has really picked up so at times and family has been really adamant about spending time. So, upper body was done on Friday, and I really wasn't paying attention and did dumbbell bench press first. Felt pretty solid, especially now going with full range, I ended up doing 85 lb in each hand, 5 reps for 2 sets. After I finished my last set, I realized I had to do deadlifts next. Really suffered as I ended up only being able to do 225 lb 5 reps for 2 sets. Even worse was bb rows next, which I now realized was supposed to be pull-ups. Ended up only doing 155 on the rows this time for 7 reps on each set when I normally do 175. Next was shoulder press, and 70's felt heavy today only being able to do 5 reps for 2 sets. Last of course was dips, and this time I couldn't even finish at 80 lb for 3 reps. I had to bump back down to 70 lb which I only was able to do for 7 reps at 2 sets. I switched to two sets and am probably going to stay there because I have a tendency to go to full failure, meaning I won't stop til I literally can't lift the weight up anymore, using proper form. Oh yeah, curls felt strong though, at 70 lb for two sets, FINALLY at 7 reps. I don't swing at all doing curls, but I feel like if I did, I could probably hit biceps better. I lay Sat's leg workout tomorrow. Too tired today
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

A little swinging on curls is really no big deal. Honestly, form on isolation movements isn't as important as most make it out to be, but it's far MORE important on compound movements than most make it out to be.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote