BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traphouse86 View Post
Strong work bigJ
Thanks Man!!
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #252
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Great work Josh. Definitely get a video up of those squats, some of these well informed guys can fix you up, if there needs fixing.

Also maybe consider trying squats as the second lift of the session. Most may not agree, but I personally always squat better (stronger, controlled, quicker) after I've already moved some decent weight on an upper body lift. Obviously not a direct warm up, but seems to wake up the CNS, get the blood flowing, and I'm usually more focused since I have been lifting for 20-30 minutes and didn't just walk into the gym still carrying my mental baggage.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #253
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I'm still progressing along, but I would be interested in checking out your method.
I call them bulldozer laterals. You start with the dumbbell in a static position on the opposite leg, explode it up, then return it to a static position on the opposite leg. I usually catch it with my off hand. They start around 3:22

Quote:
2.) Where will he play?
Minnesota? Dome.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #254
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Great lifting Josh. Your bench is really something, and the squats aren't shabby either. Nice work!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #255
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Great work Josh. Definitely get a video up of those squats, some of these well informed guys can fix you up, if there needs fixing.

Also maybe consider trying squats as the second lift of the session. Most may not agree, but I personally always squat better (stronger, controlled, quicker) after I've already moved some decent weight on an upper body lift. Obviously not a direct warm up, but seems to wake up the CNS, get the blood flowing, and I'm usually more focused since I have been lifting for 20-30 minutes and didn't just walk into the gym still carrying my mental baggage.
I agree with this as I have experienced the same thing. I always not only squat better after deadlifting, but I enjoy it alot more as a result. They always feel better than when I do my 531 sets first on squat day. Big Al also once suggested to me that I warm up more on squat day with lighter weight to get warmer.

I also agree that bench seems to be your signature lift
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #256
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post

I actually really like this idea. There definitely is a focus and mentality transition period when I hit the gym. I think I am going to try this. Thanks.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #257
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I call them bulldozer laterals. You start with the dumbbell in a static position on the opposite leg, explode it up, then return it to a static position on the opposite leg. I usually catch it with my off hand. They start around 3:22

Seated BTN Press 05/18/2010 - YouTube

Minnesota? Dome.
Very cool. I will keep these in mind when I'm ready to give something else a try. Makes it more of a "power" movement.

I hope he doesn't go to an always fail franchise like the vikings....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #258
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Great lifting Josh. Your bench is really something, and the squats aren't shabby either. Nice work!
Thanks Brute. My bench is ok, but I still don't consider myself a big bencher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I agree with this as I have experienced the same thing. I always not only squat better after deadlifting, but I enjoy it alot more as a result. They always feel better than when I do my 531 sets first on squat day. Big Al also once suggested to me that I warm up more on squat day with lighter weight to get warmer.

I also agree that bench seems to be your signature lift
Thanks Squatter. I appreciate the advice.
If I could choose my deadlift would be my signature lift!!! However, I guess I'll take what I can get. At least I have a signature lift.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #259
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 2/3/12

Romanian Deadlifts
295x6,6,6 PR
OHP
145x6,6,6
T-bar rows
155x8,8,8
DE Bench Press
205x3x8
DB Curls
35x8,8,8
DB shrugs
105x8,8,8
Reverse Pectoral Deck
115x10,10,10
Capatain Of Crush numero uno
decline crunches
bw+40x8,8,6

Overall Workout Grade:B+

Notes:
This was a great session! Everything seemed to go well.
RDLs were heavy but I nailed them. I love a movement that allows me to move heavy ass weight.

Still working back from the reset with OHP. Feeling very solid and smooth.

T-bar row continues to progress. this movement destroys my upper back. I can feel it the next day for sure.

I've been considering changing up routines. I know I'm going to have to eventually. But this routine has been working so well for me I just can't bring myself to change it. I've experienced and continue to experience awesome gains in both muscle in strength. I know this routine is simple, but it works, well. I've stalled a bit on some lifts and it is difficult to recover from at times, but there is so much more going right with this routine than there is going wrong.

Thanks for the continued feedback, encouragement and advice from everyone!

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #260
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

It's interesting that you have just decided that you may need to switch routines because I have been thinking the same thing. Abbreviated routines work well for beginners but I think you're at a level now where you need more stimulus.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote