BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default 12/2/11

Squats
265x6,6,5
Bench Press
255x6,5,4
DB Rows
95x8,8,8
DB laterals
22.5x8,8,8
CGBP
190x8,8,8
Reverse Pec Deck
85x10,10,19
Propped External Rotator
12.5x10,10,10
Decline Crunches
bw+25x8,8,8

Overall Workout Grade: B+

Notes:
Gentlemen, I am in need of your opinions and advice!!!! My Barbell Bench Press is Stuck like a Mother Duck! It is truly plateaued and I don't really know wtf to do.
As of right now, the best idea I can come up with is to use Dumbells instead of the barbell. I've read posts in the past where guys claim this works for breaking through a bench press plateau. Another option, all be it a more complicated one, is too bench press after I deadlift as opposed to after I squat. It is a long shot that this will make any difference and I'll have to screw around with re arranging my routine, which is something I would rather avoid.
What do you guys think?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #52
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Notes:
Gentlemen, I am in need of your opinions and advice!!!! My Barbell Bench Press is Stuck like a Mother Duck! It is truly plateaued and I don't really know wtf to do.
As of right now, the best idea I can come up with is to use Dumbells instead of the barbell. I've read posts in the past where guys claim this works for breaking through a bench press plateau. Another option, all be it a more complicated one, is too bench press after I deadlift as opposed to after I squat. It is a long shot that this will make any difference and I'll have to screw around with re arranging my routine, which is something I would rather avoid.
What do you guys think?
Maybe it's time you tried Fazc's approach. Doing the 5 singles and a 5x5.

Or maybe we could restructure it and get you hammering hard on lower rep CGS and bench one week, then more volume the next.

I have used dumbbells, inclines and OHPs to help my numbers creep up. Dumbbells are a great tricep smasher. A 3-5x10 after benching would be a good destruction plan.

For me benches suffer when I do too little. Maybe it's time to start doing more low rep work. If this is too muddles, start up a thread. We can all toss ideas your way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #53
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Thanks for taking the time to respond BTB. It is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Maybe it's time you tried Fazc's approach. Doing the 5 singles and a 5x5.
Is this 5 singles one workout and then 5x5 the next. So alternating workouts?
Or is this 5x1 and a 5x5 all in the same workout? And what percentage (approx.) would one use for the singles?
Quote:
Or maybe we could restructure it and get you hammering hard on lower rep CGS and bench one week, then more volume the next.
This seems like an interesting idea.
Lower rep one week, volume the next. How would this work? Would I go for the lower rep work on the week I bench twice or once?
Also, this maybe a dumb question, but what is CGS?
Quote:
I have used dumbbells, inclines and OHPs to help my numbers creep up. Dumbbells are a great tricep smasher. A 3-5x10 after benching would be a good destruction plan.
I Close Grip bench on the same day as my regular low rep bench, would adding dumbell bench also to this day be too much?
Quote:
For me benches suffer when I do too little. Maybe it's time to start doing more low rep work. If this is too muddles, start up a thread. We can all toss ideas your way.
This idea of adding more work is interesting to me, because I usual opt for less work. I wonder if techniques like rest pause or supersets would be of any use in this situation?

Thanks again BtB, your help is greatly appreciated.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #54
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 12/5/11

Deadlifts
395x3,3,1
OHP
140x6,6,4
T-bar Row
145x8,8,8
DB Incline Bench Press
85x8,8,5
DB curls
40x8,8,8

Overall workout Grade: A

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #55
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sorry for the delayed response.

Quote:
Is this 5 singles one workout and then 5x5 the next. So alternating workouts?

Or is this 5x1 and a 5x5 all in the same workout? And what percentage (approx.) would one use for the singles?
Check out this thread. It explains things better than I could. Feel free to leave Fazc some questions. I know Spartigus is using this.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-your-1rm.html

Quote:
Lower rep one week, volume the next. How would this work? Would I go for the lower rep work on the week I bench twice or once?
Also, this maybe a dumb question, but what is CGS?
You could bench either once or twice a week. I would say twice would probably work better. Bench one day, close grips the next.

You could do low rep bench and close grips week one, high volume week two. Or alternate....low rep bench, high rep close grips, high rep bench, low rep close grips.

Quote:
I Close Grip bench on the same day as my regular low rep bench, would adding dumbell bench also to this day be too much?
Might be better to have 2 pressing days at that point. I think 2 days with appropriate volume would be better than one day with huge volume. Mileage may vary though.

Quote:
I wonder if techniques like rest pause or supersets would be of any use in this situation?
Rest pause, when applied correctly, could be a good tool. You could use an 8 set x 3 rep with one minute rest between sets. This is heavy and brutal. Gaspers did a 10x3 like this tonight. It's a beat down.

T-Bone is on a similar plan....my density and strength workout. It cycles between heavy, low rep sets and rest pause sets that use a little light weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #56
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default Update, sorry for getting behind.

12/7/11
Squats
265x6,5,3
Bench 255x5,5,5
DB Rows
95x8,8,8
Db Laterals
25x8,8,8
CGBP
190x8,8,7
Decline Crunches
BWx15,15,7

Notes:
Sorry about the delay in posting.
I had a bad squat night. I didn't have my belt, so I was a bit worried about my back. It was all mental, but I kind of wimped out a bit. LtL, feel free to hold me accountable for this wimp out.
I changed my Bench Press rep range from 6 to 5. Because of the stall in my bench progress I decided this would be a good idea. Having had a few discussions with BendTheBar about the matter, I will be throwing in Dynamic Effort bench on the workout opposite of this one. More on that later...
DB rows continuing to feel strong.
So are my CGBP.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #57
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default Still Playing Catch up

12/9/11
Deads
395x3,3,3
OHP
140x6,6,5
T-bar row
145x8,8,8
Dynamic Effort Bench press
145x3x8
DB curl
140x8,8,8
Rev Peck Deck
90x10,10,10

Overall Workout Grade:A

Notes:
This was a good workout. I was really happy about the deadlifts. I may be smashing 405 before 2012 after all.
OHP felt great. I didn't hit my mark on the last set, but oh well. I'm loving this lift.
T-bar Row is feeling strong. My pulls really are coming along.
I replaced my incline DB press with Dynamic Effort barbell bench presss. As I mentioned in a previous post, after a few discussions with Steve about my bench, I've decided to try some speed work for my bench press.
BendTheBar and Fazc both took the time to give me some guidance on DE form and technique. It was very helpful and I thank you both for sharing your knowledge with me.
The DE bench didn't feel as natural as I had assumed it would. It isn't just a matter of lowering the weight being used and just speeding up the reps. It was generating speed as opposed to generating force. I was really suprised by how challenging it was technique wise. Looking forward to getting better at it as time goes on.
Curls are fun. I like them.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #58
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
12/9/11 It isn't just a matter of lowering the weight being used and just speeding up the reps. It was generating speed as opposed to generating force.
Nice deads, you'll be hitting 405 before you can blink. You're beast.

More importantly for all of us mortals, can you explain the quoted statement? "It was generating speed as opposed to generating force"??????
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #59
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Nice deads, you'll be hitting 405 before you can blink. You're beast.

More importantly for all of us mortals, can you explain the quoted statement? "It was generating speed as opposed to generating force"??????
Thanks Mike!!! I appreciate the encouragement good sir!

I'll try to explain what I meant.
I used 55% of my current calculated 1 rep max. I say calculated because the calculators say my 1 rep max is 295ish, however if you look back in my Madcow log, I peaked at 295x3, therefore I think my 1rm is higher. But i digress....
so, I'm using a relatively light weight, 145lbs. 145 is what I would consider pretty light.
I was advised by Fazc that I need to focus on doing 3 reps, in 3 seconds. I don't know if you've ever tried doing 3 reps in 3 seconds, but it's pretty freaking fast.
So I was using a relatively light weight, and I was trying to move it at a pace of 1 rep per second and I was trying to do it in a controlled manner using tip top form.
So if you take all that into consideration, the focus when doing DE bench is on speed or pace rather than trying to move heavy ass weight.

I hope that makes some bit of sense. And just so it's clear, I've only done these once and I'm not at all trying to pretend to be some sort of experienced dynamic effort expert. These are just my initial thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #60
BigJosh
Max Brawn

This may be kind of cheesy, but....
I really appreciate MaB. I'll start with that.
Weightlifting is a huge part of my life and who I am. It's what I do. It's my thing. A lot of you guys here have become a part of my weightlifting. Whether it's with encouragement or by sharing your knowledge and experience.
As a result I think of a lot of you guys as acquaintances and even as friends. So, even though it may be considered kind of corny, I figured I'd post up a picture of me and my family. Just to share who I am and my life besides weightlifting.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.