MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Have you tried planks for your core stuff? I hate abs as much as the next lifter, and I did a lot of weighted situps, etc. but when I started planks, I knew I had found just the right torture mechanism.

Just a thought.

And you're killing it buddy! Deadlifts are sick and your press is as good as anybody. Just keep on keeping on.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #242
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Stick with us Josh, we'll continue to remind you that growing old, grey hair and senility is part of the game as well!
HAHA. Weightlifters are like wine, they get better with age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Have you tried planks for your core stuff? I hate abs as much as the next lifter, and I did a lot of weighted situps, etc. but when I started planks, I knew I had found just the right torture mechanism.

Just a thought.

And you're killing it buddy! Deadlifts are sick and your press is as good as anybody. Just keep on keeping on.
Great advice Mike. I've thought about giving planks a try. I may give them a shot instead of bw crunches.

Thanks for the encouragement!
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #243
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I'm still coming to terms with the idea that this is something I will deal with more and more as I advance as a lifter.
You guys continue to remind me that it is just part of the game.
Jst remember that you're training more than the muscles.

CNS. Tendons. Ligaments. Mind.

Every workout something is improving.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #244
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Jst remember that you're training more than the muscles.

CNS. Tendons. Ligaments. Mind.

Every workout something is improving.
Great words of wisdom. Thanks BtB.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #245
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 1/31/12

Watching Peyton Manning interview on espn, Peyton COME BACK!!!!! I don't think it matters if you are a Colts fan or not, he was/is a great quarterback, athlete and role model.

Squats (still climbing back from reset)
265x6,6,6

Bench
280x5,5,5

DB rows
105x8,8,6

Db Lateral Raises
27.5x10,10,6

CGBP
200x8,8,7

Overall Workout Grade:B

Still climbing back up from my reset on the squats. They felt hard. I don't know what the deal is with my squats. I'm at a loss. I am probably doing something wrong. I say this, but i know it is up to me to get a video posted up so I can get feedback from you guys. So until then, I guess I will continue to struggle. Maybe I'm just a vag and squating exposes that.

Bench press, YYYYEEEAAAHHHH BUDDDDYYYYY! Not a weight PR but definitely a volume at weight PR. The last rep on the last set was a slow mo grinder, but my form did not break down and I locked it out. So it counts in my book. On word and upward.

DB row felt great. I'm going to continue to use straps. Increased reps, which equals progression, which equals success in my book.

DB lateral raise, increased reps. These are like the bicep curls of shoulder movements. Nothing wrong with throwing them in, however they aren't anything to brag about.

CGBP starting to be stuck. Been here a few weeks. I'll probably give it one last shot before pulling the ol' reset.

I am a slacker so I didn't do any other assistance work. After I left I thought to myself "I should have thrown in some shrugs". Oh well.....

On another note, based on a discussion we were having in the forum today, I decided not to take any preworkout caffeine. I am pretty conservative about the amount I take, when I do take it. I wasn't quite as energetic in the gym. however, I didn't really notice a direct performance difference. I progressed on 3 out of 5 lifts. I don't really have a point or know what to make of it, but just figured I would throw it out there.

Last edited by BigJosh; 02-01-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #246
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
DB lateral raise...These are like the bicep curls of shoulder movements. Nothing wrong with throwing them in, however they aren't anything to brag about.
Ha...That's awesome and quote worthy.

We all have a particular lift that we are good at. Your's is obviously the bench press. I can see you doing good things with that lift.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #247
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
DB lateral raise, increased reps. These are like the bicep curls of shoulder movements. Nothing wrong with throwing them in, however they aren't anything to brag about.
I'll teach you my method if interested. A bit more explosive.

Quote:
Watching Peyton Manning interview on espn, Peyton COME BACK!!!!! I don't think it matters if you are a Colts fan or not, he was/is a great quarterback, athlete and role model.
I would like to see him play another year or two. See what he has left.

Quote:
Still climbing back up from my reset on the squats. They felt hard. I don't know what the deal is with my squats. I'm at a loss. I am probably doing something wrong. I say this, but i know it is up to me to get a video posted up so I can get feedback from you guys.
Would love to take a look.

I assume your rest is decent. Are you cutting at all or restricting calories?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #248
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Strong work bigJ

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #249
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Ha...That's awesome and quote worthy.

We all have a particular lift that we are good at. Your's is obviously the bench press. I can see you doing good things with that lift.
Thanks Off Road!!! I don't think of myself as a big bencher. But It isn't bad I guess. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #250
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'll teach you my method if interested. A bit more explosive.
I'm still progressing along, but I would be interested in checking out your method.

Quote:
I would like to see him play another year or two. See what he has left.
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. 1.) Will he play, if so when?
2.) Where will he play?
I think his days with the Colts are done. They are rebuilding and the sad reality is it would be in there best interest to let him go. Good thing is we will know my early march because that is when the 28 million dollar option to extend his contract is due.
Quote:

Would love to take a look.

I assume your rest is decent. Are you cutting at all or restricting calories?
Thanks BtB. Fazc has also mentioned to me that he would take a look. I just need to get someone to go the gym with me and record me. Sooner or later I'll get it done.

My rest is decent. I take as much as I need. With squats it's usally around 4 minutes or so.
Cutting or restricting calories? What is that?
No, I'm not on a calorie restricted diet. I'm still eating like a horse.