Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #111
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post

I am open to doing singles. What protocol would you recommend?
I've done a little google browsing this evening and found a "DE" deadlift protocol of 10x2. The westside barbell template doesn't seem to use Dynamic effort deads, so I am kind of just guessing on what to do. I could use the box squat protocol that westide utilizes, which is 10x2 at a varying percentage of 1rm.
Well you could do a higher volume, like an 8x2...T-Bone is using something like this right now.

Or you could do rest pause singles, which is a fun method. You basically pick a weight and do as many singles as you can in 10 minutes. When you can do 12-15 with a given weight, you add weight.

You basically do a rep, reset, prepare yourself, and do another when you are ready. This can take your brain off the grind and onto beating your last workout by one rep. And if you have a bad week, eh, so what.

This style of deadlifting looks like, but I usually rest a bit longer between reps:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #112
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Westside recommends 8 singles after speed squats for speed pulls. All done with minimal rest around a minute. I have been doing these more recently and they are helping my technique. Plus you can use your new bands to decrease bar weight and up accommodating resistance.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 AM   #113
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well you could do a higher volume, like an 8x2...T-Bone is using something like this right now.

Or you could do rest pause singles, which is a fun method. You basically pick a weight and do as many singles as you can in 10 minutes. When you can do 12-15 with a given weight, you add weight.

You basically do a rep, reset, prepare yourself, and do another when you are ready. This can take your brain off the grind and onto beating your last workout by one rep. And if you have a bad week, eh, so what.

This style of deadlifting looks like, but I usually rest a bit longer between reps:

St. Wilhelm's, Member 00001, Detroit, 405x30 Deadlift - YouTube
Very interesting Idea.
Here is what I was thinking programming wise in regards to the 8x2.
I was thinking about doing them DE style with maybe 65%ish of my 1rm. And I would do this every other deadlift session. The other session being max effort 3x3 like I'm currently doing.

As far as the singles technique you described, I have 2 questions:
1.) as far as programming is concerned, is this something that I would do every deadlift session; or would the singles be rotated with the max effort 3x3 every other deadlift session.
2.) At around what percentage of 1rm should I perform the singles at?

As always, thanks for the help Steve.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #114
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Westside recommends 8 singles after speed squats for speed pulls. All done with minimal rest around a minute. I have been doing these more recently and they are helping my technique. Plus you can use your new bands to decrease bar weight and up accommodating resistance.

LtL
Thanks for the advice LtL.
This sounds very similar to what steve is referring to. I'm assuming this is something I could do every other deadlift session?
And at what percentage of 1rm should the singles be done?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #115
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Very interesting Idea.
Here is what I was thinking programming wise in regards to the 8x2.
I was thinking about doing them DE style with maybe 65%ish of my 1rm. And I would do this every other deadlift session. The other session being max effort 3x3 like I'm currently doing.
That sounds reasonable. The only caveat with speed work is that it is recommended you generally only perform reps as long as you are able to keep the same speed. if you find your speed deteriorating you might want to stop. This might happen on an 8x2. I don't know. I have never performed more than 8 speed singles.

Quote:
As far as the singles technique you described, I have 2 questions:
1.) as far as programming is concerned, is this something that I would do every deadlift session; or would the singles be rotated with the max effort 3x3 every other deadlift session.
2.) At around what percentage of 1rm should I perform the singles at?

As always, thanks for the help Steve.
1) Well, I am still learning from Fazc about the implementation of singles, but yes, he has a lifter perform them on every heavy session.

You certainly could do singles and then a 3x3. Some of us are doing our heavy singles and then dropping down for heavy doubles and/or heavy triples.

2) I would start about 85% the first week as a tester, then move up as needed each week. The goal being to add weight when possible.

Fazc might be better equipped to handle the frequency of weight addition on singles. We have a good thread here that is worth a read:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-your-1rm.html

Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #116
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 12/31/11

Squats
275x6,6,6
Bench
265x5,5,5
DB Rows
100x8,8,8
DB lateral raises
27.5 x8,8,6
CGBP
200x8,8,6

Overall workout grade: A

Notes:
Great workout today. I either progressed in weight or progressed in reps on all my lifts.

My Squat really felt solid. However, I feel like my torso is leaning over too much on later reps/set. May or may not be a problem, I don't know. But it is noticeable. I had a like minded lifter at the gym watch my form. I am indeed going well below parallel and my back is not rounding.

Bench went very well. Hit my goal. Felt strong.

DB Rows felt strong. Last time I did db rows my grip was giving before my pulling strength and based on MaB members suggestions I intended on using straps. So, I figured I would pull my first set without straps and go from there. In short I ended up pulling all 3 sets without straps. Yahhhh me.

CGBP is feeling really good. It continues to be a winner for me.
No additional work today. I wanted to get home to the family.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #117
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That sounds reasonable. The only caveat with speed work is that it is recommended you generally only perform reps as long as you are able to keep the same speed. if you find your speed deteriorating you might want to stop. This might happen on an 8x2. I don't know. I have never performed more than 8 speed singles.

1) Well, I am still learning from Fazc about the implementation of singles, but yes, he has a lifter perform them on every heavy session.

You certainly could do singles and then a 3x3. Some of us are doing our heavy singles and then dropping down for heavy doubles and/or heavy triples.

2) I would start about 85% the first week as a tester, then move up as needed each week. The goal being to add weight when possible.

Fazc might be better equipped to handle the frequency of weight addition on singles. We have a good thread here that is worth a read:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-your-1rm.html
BtB, thanks for taking the time to respond. My next deadlift session is Monday and as of know I don't have a plan on what I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards the singles idea. However, I still need to mull it over a bit. Thanks again, your insight is invaluable.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #118
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

This may sound like a too simple solution, but my spud belt has really helped me WRT my leaning forward issues. It really help me keep my chest up and core stable & solid, especially on my heavy working sets.

WRT your grip of steel on the rows. Maybe it was a mental issue
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #119
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Strong squatting. Any videos for a form check?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #120
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Glad to help. Destroy it in 2012.