BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just take a work of advice from a geezer...that is a good and normal part of getting a strong back. You want your ability to pull to overshadow your grip at some point.
So using straps may be a good idea? I am open to the idea.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #102
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
So using straps may be a good idea? I am open to the idea.
Yes, absolutely. My one arm dumbbell rows are 215x10 and my Pendlays are 365x5. No way I could do that without straps. Beyond that, slipping grip with heavier weight can get a big dangerous.

I don't want to push you on this but I do want you to know that strap use is perfectly fine. The only time I go strapless is when I am testing my deadlift 1RM.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #103
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Not to side track Josh's log again, but yes, combine the logs... completely forgot 'full body' existed on here and spent way to long looking for this.

Upon recent discovery I had to do some back tracking.

1) Josh, I'm still relatively "new" to this forum, but will agree with your comments in regard to this closeness of this forum and friendships (post about 2 weeks ago?). It is a small forum when you compare it to others out there, but it is one that is in may ways, closely knit. Not cheesey at all. And BTW, a great looking family you have.

2) Awesome work, through and through. Good to see your lifts improving, especially that squat!
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #104
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd agree with Steve on straps except I don't use them for deadlifts. I do use them for all heavy rows and rack pulls though.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #105
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Nice to see you get that 5 lbs progression on squats Big J. Even if you can eke out 1 rep every week or 2 that would be big.

If you decide to start using straps, go for the versagripps. I think if you use them wisely, your grip will still improve.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #106
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Not to side track Josh's log again, but yes, combine the logs... completely forgot 'full body' existed on here and spent way to long looking for this.

Upon recent discovery I had to do some back tracking.

1) Josh, I'm still relatively "new" to this forum, but will agree with your comments in regard to this closeness of this forum and friendships (post about 2 weeks ago?). It is a small forum when you compare it to others out there, but it is one that is in may ways, closely knit. Not cheesey at all. And BTW, a great looking family you have.

2) Awesome work, through and through. Good to see your lifts improving, especially that squat!
Thanks for stopping by my log Pull!
1.) MaB is a really cool place to be. And thanks about my family.
2.) Thanks again! I'm driving hard to get my squat up to 3 pps.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #107
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I'd agree with Steve on straps except I don't use them for deadlifts. I do use them for all heavy rows and rack pulls though.

LtL
Thanks LtL. As of now based on your guys recommendations I will use them with db rows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Nice to see you get that 5 lbs progression on squats Big J. Even if you can eke out 1 rep every week or 2 that would be big.

If you decide to start using straps, go for the versagripps. I think if you use them wisely, your grip will still improve.
Thanks squatter. I'm really trying hard on those squats. I want to squat like you!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #108
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 12/29/11

Deads
405x2, 385x2, 365x1
OHP
145x6,6,6
T-bar Row
150x8,8,8
DE Bench
190x3x8
Db Curl
45x8,8,6
Db Shrugs (why not?)
105x8,8,8
rev pec deck
100x10,10,10
Propped external Rotator
15x10,10,10
COC #1 Grippers
3x5

Overall Workout Grade:B
WTF is up with my deadlift!! Since nailing 405 for 2 sets of 3, I have had 2 workouts in a row where I struggled with 405. Hell, I struggled with 385 and 365. I had told myself I was going to go light, but after an extra days rest and only one bad workout I thought I would be able to return to form. Not exactly sure where to go from here, but something needs to change. whether it's a reset or throwing in DE deadlift work every other workout or some other option.

The rest of the workout went great.
Hit my goal on OHP and T-bar rows. Both of these felt great. They have both progressed nicely.
DE Bench felt good. Very fun to be doing something new and different.
DB curls are progressing along nicely. I don't think my biceps have ever been this strong.
Threw in some DB shrugs just for kicks. Also hit my reverse pec deck and RC work. All 3 went well.
Finished with the COC grippers. Still struggling to close them on all the reps. those things are tough!!!
All in all it was a great workout, deadlift aside.

On another note, I had a sample of Muscle Pharm Assault that I tried. I'm not a big fan of pre-workout drinks. I prefer a thermogenic pill, usually GNC thermogenic rush. However, I was pleasantly surprised my Muscle Pharm Assault. Very clean energy. I felt great. And there was no "crash" whatsoever. I may just found another supp to spend money on!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #109
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Is your upper back feeling weak at all?

Maybe it's time to drop the weight a bit and work on some singles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #110
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Is your upper back feeling weak at all?

Maybe it's time to drop the weight a bit and work on some singles.
My upper back feels very strong.
It feels like the weak link these last two deadlift workouts is my lowerback. I can get the bar off of the ground and to my knees, I am just really struggling to bring my hips forward. I just don't have the power right now.

I am open to doing singles. What protocol would you recommend?
I've done a little google browsing this evening and found a "DE" deadlift protocol of 10x2. The westside barbell template doesn't seem to use Dynamic effort deads, so I am kind of just guessing on what to do. I could use the box squat protocol that westide utilizes, which is 10x2 at a varying percentage of 1rm.