Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #1161
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Nice!!!
Trying to catch up with you big swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work! PR and then a monster doing dead challenge! !!!!!!!!!
Thanks H, it was a good day for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I am just stunned that you were able to massacre that deadlift challenge like nobody's business after setting a huge PR and some fine pull-ups. Wow - nice Xmas gift from your body! Merry Christmas to you as well Alan.
Dunno about massacre jim, but i gave it a good shot, pity i didnt get to 80,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
WTF ... you just moved an small island of Ireland towards north ... it totals 24244lbs *faint* ... this is crazy lifting ...
Haha! Nice one Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great push press. You just lapped me on that exercise.
I wish! Hopefully the OHP work will help my bench out......i remember you saying it should to someone else, so ill pinch that advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
The push press PR is just sexy work

You seem to be healing alright when you can do 76 reps for the challenge, defeating my valiant effort That's one awesome session of win.
Yeah big win that the knee was fine......i actually did this session in my powerperfect II , so we are now friends again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Congratz on the big push press PR!! I hope to hit 2 wheels early in 2013

Impressive showing in the deadlift challenge
Make it happen KD,
I will say, it took me AGES to inch my way up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Congrats on the press PR,as well as the awesome deads.
Thanks Elite, im happier with that PR than i expected i would be.

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #1162
markievicz
Max Brawn

markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member
Default Back in business

Today was the first proper session I have had in the gym since 7th December when I bollixed up my knee.

The last month or so has been tough because I love squatting , for those of you that didn’t notice , I was actually having a second run at smolov and I was beginning to get back to where I was in the summer, but at almost 10kgs lighter… I was really hopeful for a 200kg squat at the single lifts at the end of this month,
As things worked out I have no chance of making that meet and am now further back than I was after the break from squats for the last meet.

So what have I learned?
2012 thought me that I need to be squatting 2 or 3 times a week.
It also thought me that I need to be more patient and I need to work on my form rather than chasing numbers on an excel sheet.
So with that said ill most likely be bombarding you guys with a lot more squat , bench , DL and push press vids …
Please feel free to tear my form apart and point me in the right direction!

As soon as I was injured ,I pencilled in today as my comeback day , provided that I didn’t need surgery and thankfully I didn’t so I went in cautiously today to start back at the squats and also to start my new program (more on that in a minute)
It looks like Santa called by the gym during December as the whole place was all moved about , more priority is now given to the weights area and there are a few additional machines… which I don’t really care for , BUT there is now a hyper extension machine which is great cause I have a pretty shitty lower back that gives me a lot of trouble. Something to work with now for sure!
Also there is a decent floor in there now which should help my deadlifting ….as one of the guys said to me .,… its starting to look like a gym now!

So now to my new plan….
Im going back to basics and to what I know works for me.
Ive decided to combine two great minds of weightlifting Bill Starr and Steve Shaw

Im gonna do the 5*5 program for squats and pressing as per the Novice to Intermediate Lifters spreadsheet , drop the backwork from this, and for my back work use the program that Steve posted a while back for Rob Mori ( I think) , I had started to use this program before I injured my knee and liked it so ill restart and go from there,
i would also say that Steve has previously provided me with a deadlift program for my last meet and it got me a PR so ill follow any advise he can throw my way

Anyway, enough of this long post.

Cliff notes
-injured knee in December , no squatting
-knee feeling better today – start squatting
-new program starts today
-bring on 2013

Last edited by markievicz; 01-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #1163
markievicz
Max Brawn

Wednesday 2 Jan. 2013

Squats
70kg x 5
85kg x 5
100kg x 5
100kg x 5

Push Press
60kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
85kg x 5

Pull Ups
BW x 5 - 6 sets – Total 30

DB Pullover
28kgx 10 - 3 sets

Hanging Straight Leg Raise
BW x 10 - 4 sets – Total 40

Hyper Extensions
BW x 10 - 3 sets – Total 30

Notes
Starting very light with the squats and will be building up very slowly over the next few weeks,
Just glad to be able to squat again. Knee felt ok , not great but felt stable so that’s the main thing.
Have also decided to do a minimum of 30 pull ups per session from now on.
May decide in time to do these weighted , we will see!

Last edited by markievicz; 01-02-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #1164
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good stuff markie, speedy recovery and a happy new year to you. PBs in 2013!!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #1165
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

How did you bollox your knee?

I can guess it was squatting, but what exactly about squatting caused it?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #1166
markievicz
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
How did you bollox your knee?

I can guess it was squatting, but what exactly about squatting caused it?
piss poor form i reckon.
week prior to injury i did 130kg x 3 , 10 sets
then week later jumped to 150kg - stupid stupid stupid.

I remember the rep that probably caused it , i think my knee tracked inwards and I went forward on my toes , cut the squat short (in order to make all 3)and didnt go properly deep, rather than get pinned I bullied up the bar in the ugliest squat I have ever done. I was too stubborn there, should have dumped the bar or only done 2 reps.
stupid chasing numbers rather than working at getting stronger and thinking of the big picture.
ill get a video on friday and post it up , would be really interested to hear how you think it looks and what i can do to improve it,
what angle is best for analysis?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #1167
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what actually happened, which is good. Although I'd say it was probably a cumulative thing, just one rep rarely fucks someone over unless it's REALLY bad!

Head on angle would be good if it's a knee issue. And side on is always helpful too.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #1168
markievicz
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Sounds like you have a good grasp of what actually happened, which is good. Although I'd say it was probably a cumulative thing, just one rep rarely fucks someone over unless it's REALLY bad!

Head on angle would be good if it's a knee issue. And side on is always helpful too.
good point - i tend to agree here...
i also just switched my footware over from converse to a pair of power perfects II and wondered if the foot angle caused anything here too.
maybe im over thinking it,
ill take one from both angles , and you can take a look see when you have time.

thanks Fazc

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #1169
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Glad you are back at it. Be patient man, you will be above and beyond where you were in no time. Great point btw about chasing numbers on a spreedsheet. I myself have been guilty of that and is something I could us work on.
Looking forward to seeing your new routine. Best of luck in 2013.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #1170
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Wednesday 2 Jan. 2013

Squats
70kg x 5 85kg x 5 100kg x 5 100kg x 5

Push Press
60kg x 5 60kg x 5 70kg x 5 85kg x 5

Pull Ups
BW x 5 - 6 sets – Total 30

DB Pullover
28kgx 10 - 3 sets

Notes
Starting very light with the squats and will be building up very slowly over the next few weeks, Just glad to be able to squat again. Knee felt ok , not great but felt stable so that’s the main thing. Have also decided to do a minimum of 30 pull ups per session from now on.
May decide in time to do these weighted , we will see!
Glad that you are back ... one step at a time and you will be at your 100% sooner than you expected. ... Slow and steady because INJURIES sucks ... great come back session Alan ...