Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #471
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

12/04/12 - Bench 8x4/Deadlift Singles

Bench
40kg x 5
60kg x 3
75kg x 2

85kg x 4 x 8

Deadlift
RDL warm up - 60kg x 5 x 2

60kg x 3, 90kg x 2, 120kg x 1, 150kg x 1

180kg x 1
210kg x 1 +5kg PB
217.5kg x F

Ab Rollout/Sidebends
BW Knees/22kg x 20/20 x 3

Bench was fast and felt good.

Last dead session in the garage for a while and just wanted to have a go at lifting all the plates I have and played around with bigger jumps in weight. Little disappointed but I just need to put more work in. Need to program my deadlifts and stick to it.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #472
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Strong PB there. You back in the real gym now?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #473
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Strong PB there. You back in the real gym now?

LtL
Cheers LtL. 2 sessions left this weekend and then back to the crazy world of commercial gyms as of Monday. Wouldn't mind it so much if there was anyone that trained properly there.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #474
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good work on that dead. You started with hips a bit high, so I think you have more in you. You basically SLDLifted it. Don't get discouraged. Better leverage and you'll be nailing much more very soon. The sets before that your hips weren't as high, but they were rising.

Watch your progression...you started aggressive and low, and with each set you became more tentative prior to the lift, and the hips started to creep up. Approach every set like those 60kgs...plenty of speed, pop, and explosiveness.

Don't be tentative.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #475
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good work on that dead. You started with hips a bit high, so I think you have more in you. You basically SLDLifted it. Don't get discouraged. Better leverage and you'll be nailing much more very soon. The sets before that your hips weren't as high, but they were rising.

Watch your progression...you started aggressive and low, and with each set you became more tentative prior to the lift, and the hips started to creep up. Approach every set like those 60kgs...plenty of speed, pop, and explosiveness.

Don't be tentative.
Thanks for the feedback BtB, really helps. SLDLing has been my biggest problem when it gets heavy, struggle to keep the hips down.

I think one problem with my deadlift, and squat really, is that there's a big gap where I've done minimal reps from jumping into singles. With deadlift, between 165 and 210 I've only hit singles infrequently and I think getting some reps in here will really help. I might be wrong but the next few weeks will tell.

My plan for now is to use Prilepins and work 70% for 4x5, 80% for 6x3 and 90% for 6x2 over a 3 week cycle starting with a 200kg max and then adding 5kg to each weight for the next 3 week cycle. This should let me get some good reps in working up towards 200kg.

I've thought about doing some kind of speed work as I think it would benefit me but assistance is minimal for now and I need to avoid overthinking things.

Feel free anyone to jump in and critique and make suggestions, I'm just trying to keep things simple. Also bear in mind I've just returned from a meal at my nan and grandads and I've consumed too much wine and whiskey and this may well all be nonsesne.

*EDIT* - Or to keep things even simpler, maybe stick with 5/3/1 for squat and deads but use numbers closer to my max. Basically a choice between straight sets or ramping sets.

Last edited by JTurner; 04-13-2012 at 06:06 AM.
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #476
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Thanks for the feedback BtB, really helps. SLDLing has been my biggest problem when it gets heavy, struggle to keep the hips down.
Well you're doing good, and overall it wasn't really too bad until that last rep.

Quote:
I've thought about doing some kind of speed work as I think it would benefit me but assistance is minimal for now and I need to avoid overthinking things.
I think this is a good thing. As long as your progressing keep the assistance simple.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #477
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Or to keep things even simpler, maybe stick with 5/3/1 for squat and deads but use numbers closer to my max. Basically a choice between straight sets or ramping sets.
Straight 531 or 531 for powerlifting?

I could probably work with straight 531 deads, but for squats I would have to add more squat work in. Not trying to sway you. I just don't like 531 squats and bench unless it has some extra work.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #478
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

J, I'll leave you to hammer out the specifics once our Bench collaboration is over, unless you want my specific input, but here are some general comments:

1) I think the overall theme of increasing how frequently you hit the lift is a good idea. You really did need some volume on the Bench to help solidify form. That was the goal here, and you will have that by the time you finish this last block.

2) Once that's done I'd suggest working each lift, including variations, 3 x weekly. So for example, and don't get hung up on the exercises here as you will choose your own, but an example Squat schedule:

Monday: Squat, the works, belt etc.

Wednesday: Front Squats

Friday: Speed Squats or Pause Squats.

3) Sets/reps are of course something you have to consider but they're not really as important as is sometimes suggested. Essentially you want to train close to how you would like to display your strength. This could be the 'daily max' thing that I do, or 'daily max with back offs' or it could be 6 triples, 5 doubles... whatever! Just *close* to how you need to display your strength when it counts.

Something to think about with your wine
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #479
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Straight 531 or 531 for powerlifting?

I could probably work with straight 531 deads, but for squats I would have to add more squat work in. Not trying to sway you. I just don't like 531 squats and bench unless it has some extra work.
It would be powerlifting so with the added singles. It's more a case of me having no clue when it comes to programming and so sticking to 531.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
J, I'll leave you to hammer out the specifics once our Bench collaboration is over, unless you want my specific input, but here are some general comments:

1) I think the overall theme of increasing how frequently you hit the lift is a good idea. You really did need some volume on the Bench to help solidify form. That was the goal here, and you will have that by the time you finish this last block.

2) Once that's done I'd suggest working each lift, including variations, 3 x weekly. So for example, and don't get hung up on the exercises here as you will choose your own, but an example Squat schedule:

Monday: Squat, the works, belt etc.

Wednesday: Front Squats

Friday: Speed Squats or Pause Squats.

3) Sets/reps are of course something you have to consider but they're not really as important as is sometimes suggested. Essentially you want to train close to how you would like to display your strength. This could be the 'daily max' thing that I do, or 'daily max with back offs' or it could be 6 triples, 5 doubles... whatever! Just *close* to how you need to display your strength when it counts.

Something to think about with your wine
A lot to think about. I like the idea of increased frequency with all the lifts and I'd really appreciate your input on how to put everything together once the last block of bench is over. I think with the increased frequency I'd be happier working with singles for the main movements as volume can be added with the variations throughout the week. Also the front and pause squats are 2 things I've been wanting to add in for a while now so that schedule would probably be close to reality.

It makes sense to get through the bench program before making any major changes but hopefully by the time it's finished I'll have a plan.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #480
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Interesting thoghts in here, but leaving aside the programming issue, more importantly, how can we wangle an invite to Nan's house for dinner!

Nice form on those bench too! Looked rock solid, you picked that up quick!

Cheers!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote