Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #261
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I had 12 months of hell with squats. My elbows and shoulders were killing me. I had to buy a special bar just so I could have a very wide hand spacing and relieve the pressure.

I'm with Fazc...I would only do as much squatting as your body can take, and fill in the gaps with other potent lifts.

I wish I had done more paused benching over the years.
Yup, squatting as assistance is out for now, it's not worth it. I'm going to try and keep the pauses in regular and see how it treats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Know how you feel with elbow sleeves, makes it much harder to clean a bar but my elbows feel so much healthier.
Yup, made a big difference this week, worth the hassle.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #262
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

18/02/12 - Squat 3x5

Squats
60kg x 5
70kg x 5
80kg x 3

95kg x 5
110kg x 5
125kg x 5 PB

Goodmornings
60kg x 6,6,6,6,6

Hanging Leg Raises

Not a bad session. Deep heat and elbow sleeve with pressure strap around forearm helped a lot. Experimented with bar/hand position and got through pain free. My grip was already quite wide from recent shoulder problems but I managed to bring it in about an inch either side which let me really tighten my upper back and also placed the bar just a touch higher. This took a lot of strain off my shoulder and the elbow got through with no problems.

Squats just kept getting lighter, 125kg 3 months ago crushed me and now it feels like nothing when I unrack it, really got my tightness and breathing on form at the minute. Was tempted to push for reps or some heavy singles today but I'd rather walk out with a small PB and the ability to squat heavy again asap. Hitting a good point on 5/3/1, setting rep PB's without pushing for extra reps and knowing I have have more in me.

Goodmornings were OK but I need to get a more constant form with these. Hanging leg raises was the first ab/core work I've done in a while so surprised they went pretty well, nice forearm pump too. Mobility work and stretching is going well and I feel the best so far this year with loose hips and returning shoulder mobility.

And finally , for the second time in 2.5 years of being at my term time commercial gym, someone spoke to me, the first I almost beat with a dumbbell but that's another story. He worked in with squats and tried to keep up, his first few reps were quarter squats getting gradually higher until he barely even broke vertical. After my heavy set he asked if he was hitting depth and said how I looked way lower so I got him to take the weight way down, open his knees and get his ass back. Breaking parallel by the second rep. Also got him to goblet squat to emphasise form. I never normally give pointers to people because they usually get thrown back in my face but he seemed genuinely thankful. Hopefully it sticks.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #263
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Strong work buddy. Squats and elbow pain are troublesome. Stay healthy!

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #264
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Squats just kept getting lighter, 125kg 3 months ago crushed me and now it feels like nothing when I unrack it, really got my tightness and breathing on form at the minute.
Good good. You're so close to 3 wheels right now, and that's a sort of magical happy land nice place to be for strength (and muscle) building.

Quote:
And finally , for the second time in 2.5 years of being at my term time commercial gym, someone spoke to me, the first I almost beat with a dumbbell but that's another story. He worked in with squats and tried to keep up, his first few reps were quarter squats getting gradually higher until he barely even broke vertical. After my heavy set he asked if he was hitting depth and said how I looked way lower so I got him to take the weight way down, open his knees and get his ass back. Breaking parallel by the second rep. Also got him to goblet squat to emphasise form. I never normally give pointers to people because they usually get thrown back in my face but he seemed genuinely thankful. Hopefully it sticks.
The ass back part is something I often forget to tell people. Who knows, maybe you've made a convert...or a stalker.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #265
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Strong work buddy. Squats and elbow pain are troublesome. Stay healthy!

LtL
Thanks LtL, no lagging pain today so fingers crossed I'm on the up!

Quote:
Good good. You're so close to 3 wheels right now, and that's a sort of magical happy land nice place to be for strength (and muscle) building.

The ass back part is something I often forget to tell people. Who knows, maybe you've made a convert...or a stalker.
Can't wait to rep 3 plates, I still find it weird that I've never repped anything above 127.5 for more than a single yet my max lies around 165-170. Really can't wait to get through the next few cycles.

Hopefully not the latter, I don't mind helping from time to time but when I'm in the gym I like to be left alone .

Just ridden to town for the weekly food shop, decided to do some sprint intervals and I can't imagine my quads being too happy tomorrow. Put a nice slice through my thumb making lunch number 2 too, fool.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #266
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Great job on the squat PR, and looks like someone made a friend!
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #267
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

You are no longer J Turner, you are Cain, walking the land (or gym) picking up strays who have lost their way

Great work mate
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #268
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Just ridden to town for the weekly food shop, decided to do some sprint intervals and I can't imagine my quads being too happy tomorrow. Put a nice slice through my thumb making lunch number 2 too, fool.
Never use knives after sprinting?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #269
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

nice leg session JT ,

140kg for reps is just around the corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
for the second time in 2.5 years of being at my term time commercial gym, someone spoke to me, .

starting a fan club then eh?

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #270
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Great job on the squat PR, and looks like someone made a friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
You are no longer J Turner, you are Cain, walking the land (or gym) picking up strays who have lost their way

Great work mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
nice leg session JT ,

140kg for reps is just around the corner...

starting a fan club then eh?
Cheers guys, goodmornings hit home, ham cramps have been killing me. We'll see about the "friend" .

Quote:
Never use knives after sprinting?
Words of wisdom .

Trying to decide what to do as assistance tomorrow, squats are out and the gyms useless leg press is at the bottom of my list. Was thinking power cleans as it's something I want to incorporate but might aggravate the arm, maybe sumo's as it's been a while, I'll toss a coin.