Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Looking really strong!!!

With the powercleans, they look pretty good! I cant see your shoulders so I am not sure how you are shrugging while pulling. But as Fazc said with the elbows needing to whip forward faster. From experience (relatively limited), a powerful shrug during the powerclean will whip your elbows under the bar quickly. I also see you are pulling well, getting the double knee bend with the poweclean

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #42
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Just want to leave a few minor suggestions to help you improve leverages and what not.

First...foot placement. You start with your feet too deep under the bar. Your shins are on the bar before you bend to touch it. You want them "about" halfway under the bar from the side before you bend, and the shins should be touching the bar yet.

Second...You are doing the right thing by grabbing the bar before you sink the hips. I always recommend grabbing the bar, then sinking the hips to a good leverage point.

Third, because your shins are upright you are losing the ability to sink your shifts to a quality leverage point, and losing a bit of leverage and drive. This is because of foot position. What happens because of this is as you start to deadlift, it quickly becomes a semi-still leg deadlift, as seen in this picture:

Overall, I think things are really good. Just pull your feet back a hair, and just make sure you sink the hips to a good leverage point before each rep. Power cleans are starting with the same foot issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikeM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3597  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-05-2011 at 07:22 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #43
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Some fine work Mike, strength was definitely there. Deads flew up.

Those push presses looked good too. A suggestion if I may, on singles or last reps, hold the bar overhead for a few seconds. You were a little shaky overhead with those 150's. The holds will build some stability there which will help with heavier loads. Regardless, great work... so keep it up!
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Wow! Talk about a lightbulb moment! That screenshot says a thousand words for sure! Goodness, no wonder Stiff Deadlifts are so easy for me. Apparently, I've been practicing them for months and didn't know it! It also explains why I have the most trouble with deadlifts right at the knee, and why I have trouble with my hamstring "grabbing" sometimes on really heavy deadlifts, my lower back rounding sometimes, etc. etc. All because my feet are too close, eh? Wow!

You know everything I've read says to start with the bar right over the middle of your foot. Well, I wear size 8 shoes, the middle of my foot is pretty much right at my shins. I thought I was setting up perfectly. I will definitly try moving the feet backward and see how it goes! Thanks, BtB!!

Thanks, Pull, I will start holding the bar on those presses. I know I bobble, but it's not a strength problem, it's a balance problem. I really try to get the bar right down the center of my body, but I seem to miss that too far forward which makes me bobble and drop it down. Still, holding the bar will help with balance problem too! Thanks!

I'm really disappointed in those power cleans, though. This is the first time I've ever seen myself do them and they were terrible. I can see I am breaking with my arms and pulling the bar instead of shrugging it up properly. And now I see why that causes me to sort of go out and get the bar, instead of whipping it right onto my shoulders. There's other problems too obviously.

I need to drop that weight back down and go back through the learning progressions again. Jump Shrugs, etc. Man, I know I was better with these before I started to get stronger. Now that I'm stronger, I've fallen into bad habits. Bitter.

Still, there you go. Can't wait to see how bad the Squats will be on Tuesday!

Seriously, thanks everybody!!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #45
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good work Mike!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #46
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks, Swede!

Monday, week 3

Bench:
2x 10x bar, 10x 95
7x 135,
5x 165,
3x 185,
1x 205

5x 1x 230 (PR)

5x 5x 185 (ss w/ 3x3 Pullups)

BB Rows:
5x 10x 125

30 DB Circuit: 20x Goblet Squat, 20 Swings, a few burpees, 30 Jumping Jacks

The bench PR was kind of cool as I'd never done that weight before, but I knew I could do it, so it's maybe not as cool as when I hit 240-245 which what I estimate my actual max is. Still, I'm a big believer in actual maxes as opposed to theoretical!

I used the better foot placement on the rows, and they seemed easier. HOWEVER, I played around with where to put the bar on deadlifts just using the 125, and that seemed much better, more upright. I even paused with the weight at knee height to look in the mirror, and I can see where I have a much more upright back angle, but my legs are still bent. SO, I think that's an improvement. We'll see on Friday.

Oh, and I'm adding in some cardio as I've been slacking with that of late. I like this circuit as it is fast and really works up a monster sweat that lasts a while. I'll build up a bit to get to 2-3 rounds of 25. Might drop out burpees on bench day, goblets on squat day, etc. as those burpees today were brutal.

And I'm throwing in some Pullups, too as I think getting better at those will help me in the long run. Nice timing on that pullups thread today! I can only do 4-5 max, so Al suggested adding in sets of 3 in between other sets, so I'm giving it a whirl.

There you go. Squats tomorrow. Might be a PR there too. We'll see.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #47
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good bench PR mike, good progress!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #48
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Wow! Talk about a lightbulb moment! That screenshot says a thousand words for sure! Goodness, no wonder Stiff Deadlifts are so easy for me. Apparently, I've been practicing them for months and didn't know it! It also explains why I have the most trouble with deadlifts right at the knee, and why I have trouble with my hamstring "grabbing" sometimes on really heavy deadlifts, my lower back rounding sometimes, etc. etc. All because my feet are too close, eh? Wow!

You know everything I've read says to start with the bar right over the middle of your foot. Well, I wear size 8 shoes, the middle of my foot is pretty much right at my shins. I thought I was setting up perfectly. I will definitly try moving the feet backward and see how it goes! Thanks, BtB!!

Seriously, thanks everybody!!
Glad to help.

It's fairly common. Most people RDL a bit until they get a few minor form issues worked out.

Regarding he feet, I actually deadlift with one feel only one third of the way under the bar, but don't tell Rippetoe ...feels better for me that way.

Excellent workout today Mike. Moving that bench up to 300!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #49
MikeM
Max Brawn

Tuesday, week 3 Squat Day

Squat Jumps: 2x 10

Squat:
2x 10x bar, 10x 95
8x 135
6x 175
2x 185
2x 205
1x 225

5x 1x 260 (PR) Kinda ugly, but they got up there.

2x 5x 205, 1x 5x 195, 2x 5x 185* (shifted weights to make some comparisons)

Leg Press: 5x 5x 10 plates
(moved feet up, much easier and kept weight on heels, probably move this weight up next week)

5x 12, each side, Kneeling Cable Chops

The first two are reps with 260. I was very happy with the lifts until I watched them, now I'm not so sure.

So I filmed some other weights to see if they were any better. Still, not sure.

Anyway, there you go. As always a work in progress.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #50
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Anyway, there you go. As always a work in progress.
As are we all Mike.

Quote:
5x 1x 260 (PR) Kinda ugly, but they got up there.
Most of my PRs are ugly. Great job buddy. Just checking the videos...

First rep looks solid. Depth is good and you didn't good morning it. Excellent. Second rep looked more like a grinder but still a lot of good happening.

Looking at this still from the hole, everything is good...depth, knee alignment, you aren't tipping forward. You occasionally have some reps that are a bit high, but we all do. I certainly do. If I was going to show someone a picture of what the hole looked like, this would work well:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mike.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	3617