Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #31
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Good attitude. You do what you have to do to move forward in the gym.

Are you getting the wrists looked at by a doctor?
yeah. minor ligament damage, which should heal up in 2-4 weeks.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #32
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
should also mention that I dont have much experience using DBs for a full routine. So any inputs would be most welcome.
As far as dumbbell overhead presses, my main advice is to not rule out the single arm version if "cleaning" the weight becomes too difficult.

I really like dumbbell presses and rows, almost moreso than the barbell versions. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these lifts.

Can you deadlift? If not you could do halting dumbbell deadlifts or dimel dumbbell deadlifts. I think that would be a good way of keeping your deadlifts strong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #33
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
As far as dumbbell overhead presses, my main advice is to not rule out the single arm version if "cleaning" the weight becomes too difficult.

I really like dumbbell presses and rows, almost moreso than the barbell versions. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these lifts.

Can you deadlift? If not you could do halting dumbbell deadlifts or dimel dumbbell deadlifts. I think that would be a good way of keeping your deadlifts strong.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try them on Friday (the heaviest day for the week). The DB in our gym go up to 100 lbs, so I will probably make it a high rep set, and then go for some good mornings if I have some fuel left by then.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #34
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Default 18th October (Tuesday)

Fuel ...
Breakfast @ 9:00am, milk, oats, apple
Lunch @ 12:30pm, sausage and pepperoni calzone, banana nut muffin
Dinner @ 6:00pm, ramen (with paprika, tabasco, sweet peas), 4 egg omelet stuffed with tomatoes, carrots, beans and cheese. Onions, friend in olive oil, garlic paste, lime, green chillies and sugar
Pre-cardio @ 9:30pm, whey
Post-cardio @ 10:30pm, milk and whey.

Planning to call it an early night. Things got a bit derailed at work, and I called it a day early;, I will need to get back to work early tomorrow and finish up some stuff. Also cut up a couple of whole chickens, plan to make chicken tandoori tomorrow.

Cardio
HIIT: 5 intervals (1 min on, 1 min off) + 20 minutes LISS.

Have to admit that dumbbells seem to tax the system in a different way! The left side is sore, right side is fine. DB work may be a good way to address the imbalances. Sometimes, a drawback can turn out to be an advantage after all
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #35
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

on another note ... down to 187.4 from 188.2 last week. 0.8 lbs lost in a week, without much effort.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #36
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Aha! We are now exactly the same weight. You must be taller than me (barely shy of 5'8").

Good to hear the wrist os coming along. You'll be back crushing in no time.

I used to love dumbells, and I agree with Steve. You can replicate anything, sometimes even better with dumbells. I do think it helps with imbalances, even though I have no proof.

Mmmm.... Tandoori chicken....Yum!

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #37
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Aha! We are now exactly the same weight. You must be taller than me (barely shy of 5'8").

Good to hear the wrist os coming along. You'll be back crushing in no time.

I used to love dumbells, and I agree with Steve. You can replicate anything, sometimes even better with dumbells. I do think it helps with imbalances, even though I have no proof.

Mmmm.... Tandoori chicken....Yum!

yeah, i am starting to appreciate the DBs.

I think I am a bit taller than you, about 1.5 inches or so.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
on another note ... down to 187.4 from 188.2 last week. 0.8 lbs lost in a week, without much effort.
That's excellent. All progress is good progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #39
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Default 19th October (Wednesday)

Thanks BTB!

Fuel ...
Breakfast @ 9:00am, milk and whey
Lunch @ 12:30pm, whey and peanuts
Dinner @ 7:00pm, Tandoori chicken (whole chicken) with garlic bread rolls and pickled onions, washed down with ginger ale and topped up with a few scoops of chocolate icecream
Post-WO @ midnight, milk and whey

Diet is almost back on track. Today was supposed to be a deficit day; it was a deficit day, but what a deficit day. This is almost like a warrior diet, but instead of fasting throughout the day, I just get in some form of proteins (idea stolen from BTB's posts ). The dinner was a big meal, and an awesome one at that. This was probably the best tandoori chicken I have cooked in a long long time and eating was fun

I like this idea of warrior diet - hassle free, since I need to prepare only one meal a day; plus since its one meal, I can put a little more time and make it an awesome and tasty chow.

Corresponding to the deficit day, it was the mid-week light workout

Workout

DB shoulder press
15 x 15
30 x 2 sets x 20

supersetted with

DB Rows
40 x 2 sets x 20

DB Bench
35 x 2 sets x 20

superset with

Seated Rows
120 x 2 sets x 20

Squats
bar x 20
135 x 2 sets x 20

Standing calf raises
140 x 10
215 x 2 sets x 20

triset with

Hammer curls
20 x 2 sets x 20

and

Triceps rope pushdown
75 x 2 sets x 20

Pumped!! 20 reps on each exercise does provide an awesome pump! Lesson learnt - on the light days, it may be better to do barbell squats first up. after the high rep upperbody work, the pump in lats and chest is too high to rotate the scapula back and hold the barbell on the back easily for the squats. The upper body lifts on the other hand can be done seated, so the massive leg pump may not be such a big concern in bringing the other lifts down.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #40
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Congrats on getting things down. I too start the day with a shake. Break fast at noon try to be done with any eating between 8-9 PM.

Good job in the gym too.

Pass on the Tandoori recipe. I am hungry.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote