Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #101
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Great workout Steve. You are a squat machine.
I would be wary of those bulldozer extensions myself. I've heard many stories of great squatters throwing in some leg extensions on a whim and hurting themselves.
Although, I'm sure you know what you're doing.
Anywho, great sess.
Thanks Josh.

I was channeling the mojo of Tom Platz.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #102
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Good training Steve, congrats on the bench PR's and some fine squatting!
Thanks Pull.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #103
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz6682 View Post
Awesome squatting Steve, no wonder you were cooked by the end of that session!
Thanks Gaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Awesome squatting big man.

Friends don't let friends do leg extensions though. They KILL my knees

LtL
I was actually in bed last night and it dawned upon me that I forgot to do goblet squats.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #104
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Gaz.

I was actually in bed last night and it dawned upon me that I forgot to do goblet squats.
I did goblet squats today for the first time. Good recommendation Steve - I could feel them working.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #105
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
But I'm noticing a trend in all you long time lifters in that you seem to warmup way longer than I do with any specific lift, and your intensity seems to increase as the weight goes up.

For example, I warmup for bench with maybe 10 reps with bar, 5 reps with 135, and then off we go at 80% and higher. Squats too, a couple warmup reps of 135, 185, then off to the races. Of course, my max is way lower than you guys, but does that mean the scale structure of workouts is vastly different?
I have to not only warmup my muscles, but also my CNS. I am a big believer in doing what is necessary to engage my CNS, and maximizing muscle recruitment. Even though 285 would seem light for me, it's not as light as it appears. So I still like to build up after 225 by no greater than 40-50 pounds. I often stand with the weight on my back for 5 seconds, and sit in the hole with with 225-285 to stretch.

Basically, the heavier the weight gets, the longer warmups become. Some of it is warming up the CNS, some of it is testing strains.

Quote:
You guys seem to do a lot of very low weigths. for example, if you can do 375x 8, why all the 1 rep sets under that weight?
CNS. And practicing form. I want to have my CNS firing full speed, and my form in a groove when I go heavy for reps.

It also has to do with Prilepin for me...total reps per workout, as opposed to just reps per set.

Quote:
For me, I'm thinking I can squat 225 for 8 reps or so, but I only really need 4 sets of 5 under that, 135, 175, 185, 205, and then bang out my big set.
If I was squatting 225x8 my warmups would be something like:

--Bar x 10
--135 x 5
--185 x 1-2
--225 x 1
--225 x 8

I personally like to have at least one rep under my belt with that first big set's weight before I do reps. I will walk it out and just stand with it for 5-10 seconds to get the CNS engaged. They I do a rep.

Some people need more reps on warmups. As the weight gets over 40% 1RM I prefer singles. Just personal preference. At that point my body is warm, and I am saving my energy for the big sets.

Quote:
Obviously, 375 isn't your "big" set as I know you can do almost 100 pounds do higher, but I'm trying to understand your thinking in choosing less than maximal reps because I'm beginning to think your intensity is maybe higher than mine is or should be.
Even though I am stronger, 375 is still taxing. 375 for a single is challenging. I think the main disconnect is that it's often believed as someone gains strength, the strength curve feels the same.

70-75% of 1RM feels far more challenging than it did when my max was under 300. 375 pounds on my back feels insanely heavy. Though I am stronger, the weight is still heavy. Sure, it feels lighter to me than to you, but it's still 375 pounds if that makes sense. I could do only 375 singles and build strength.

I think some of this can be framed properly by looking at the Prilepin chart, or overall reps at a given percentage of one's 1RM.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...ins-table.html

Optimal reps at 70-80% of 1RM is 18. It's easier when the weight is heavy to do lower rep sets. High rep sets at 75% are just not fun for me, so I limit them.

Last night while squatting I did 18 reps with 375 pounds. Was I thinking about Prilepin? No way. Not even close. But years of experience, lots of reading, and lots of practice has mentally tuned me in with Prilepin, if that makes sense. I know about how many total reps are needed for me to get a good workout in, and oddly enough, they always fall within the Prilepin range.

This wasn't always so when I was an intermediate lifter.

Quote:
I work pretty hard, but I almost always go to max with a 5 rep set that I'm very sure I can do. But, Should I be maxing out more on all days? and therefore be working more regularly at weights I might not make for prescribed reps?
Right now the best thing for you is to find a program you enjoy that has enough volume to be effective, but not too much volume so you get injured, and focus on progression is some form or fashion.

When I was building strength I used 3 squat sets:

--Set 1 - 4 to 6 reps
--Set 2 - 6 to 10 reps
--Set 3 - 10+ reps

I would warmup and go for my heaviest set first, then drop the weight. My focus was always on adding reps. When I got to 6 reps on set one I would add a minimal amount of weight. When I got to 10 reps on set two I would add a minimal amount of weight.

My point is that right now you need just the right amount of volume and a method of progression. No need to worry about training near maximal. I rarely ever train over 80-85%.

Quote:
I've got the system and routine of lifting down. I understand the scope of what I am doing in the gym pretty much under control. But, am I not lifting intensely enough? Or am I being too impatient? Frankly, what I am doing is tough, I'm pushing it as much as I can I think.
What most people lack is a focus on "one more rep". Adding weight each week works for beginners, but after that point, like where you are at, it's easier to add "one more rep". That is the intensity that will lead you up the ladder to success. Some folks also need to microload a couple pounds instead of 5 pounds when they progress. Nothing wrong with that.

The only intensity you need Mike is "one more rep" than last time. It happens 3 out of 4 weeks...for some 2 out of 4 weeks. And sometimes you get that extra rep months in a row. But over time if you add reps and then weight, you'll beef up your numbers very quickly.

Most people lack a systematic and realistic progression approach. My advice is to create a ruler or guideline...when I do "this" I add weight. If you do a 5-8 rep set, add weight when you hit 8 reps...or something like that.

Quote:
Are they more intense? What is more intense?
One last thought...as the weight gets heavier, there is a greater need for a lifter to listen to his body and periodize in some form or fashion, even if that periodization can't be discerned by others. The heavier the weight, the heavier the risk. I need to work on form more, not less. Heavy weight exposes form flaws, and makes things more challenging.

The demands of 70% get harder as the weight gets heavier. This concept is called "Losing the middle".

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-19-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #106
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

October 19th, 2011

Workout Time: 62 minutes

Workout Grade: B+

Shoulder and elbows strains are officially gone. Presses were strong. In fact, by my second set of one arm dumbbell presses, I was starting to feel more powerful, and it was more explosive than the first set.

Seated Military Press
45 x 10
45 x 10
135 x 3
185 x 1
185 x 2
185 x 3
185 x 4
185 x 10
155 x 10
135 x 10

Seated One Arm Dumbbell Press
80 x 10
80 x 10

Power Shrugs
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 10
405 x 10
405 x 10

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #107
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Should and elbows strains are officially gone.
Great news! Glad you are feeling healed up. Strong work BtB.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #108
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Great news! Glad you are feeling healed up. Strong work BtB.
Thanks Brute.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #109
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Aches and pains are gone = Time to SMASH!

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #110
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Great news and awesome pressing Steve. Win all round

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote