Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalBeard View Post
What are your guys' thoughts on stretching? How about knees past toes on squats (1"-2")?

Any other suggestions welcome. Squat videos will be posted asap.
I don't care about knees past toes as long as the rest of the form is good. I stay more concerned with everything else and the knees/toe thing takes care of itself.

Stretching...I used to do stretching pre-workout for a number of years. There's some controversy about it but I view that like most things...with a grain of salt. It never held me back at all.

Quote:
Squats - Turned out I was exaggerating the arch of my back. I'll post videos of my before and after once I get them (it's on his phone). He also suggested I don't have my knees go out to the side as much, and even have them go past my toes a bit. I know this is a point of controversy, so input is welcome.
I wouldn't take knees past toes. You want to keep that good alignment. Keep things natural feeling. Sometimes we can turn a natural feeling squat into some clunky mess of a lift and make our form worse. My big thing is keep that toe/knee angle together, keep your back tight, and lead with the head and hips coming out of the hole.

I teach this mental cue for driving out of the hole...ass up, hips forward. Lift your butt up to initiate the squat out of the hole, and thrust your hips forward when grinding out the rep.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
PrimalBeard
Brawn
Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Capsaicin
PrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't care about knees past toes as long as the rest of the form is good.
Quote:
I wouldn't take knees past toes.
I'm confused. I was only talking about squats with the knees going over the toes forward, but it looks like you're answering two different toe situations?

I wish he'd send those videos to me already!
PrimalBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sorry I meant I wouldn't push knees out so that the knee angle is past the toe angle. My mistake!

I don't worry if my knees move forward past my toes if the angle is good and the rest of my form is ok.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-16-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
PrimalBeard
Brawn

PrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributor

Quote:
I don't worry if my knees move forward past my toes if the angle is good and the rest of my form is ok.
Ah so not to the sides, but forward is good. That makes sense! That's what bruteforce originally showed me but he was only here for a week. I must have misinterpreted 'so you think you can squat' videos, because it sounded like my knees should move outwards to the side.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #25
PrimalBeard
Brawn

Default 9/16/11 Friday (PART TWO)

I went back to the gym after work. During training I didn't get to do anything extra and felt incomplete.

I also went to look for the guy with my squat videos and it turned out he had been working with clients non stop, so I couldn't be upset. Seriously though I should have brought my own phone so he would have used mine.

Lat Pull Down
135x10
120x10
120x8

Tricep extension pull downs with rope
60x10
60x10
60x8
Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #26
PrimalBeard
Brawn

Default 9/17/11 Saturday

GPP
Whitewashed adobe brick for an hour and a half, some arm work

Hit the 20 pound mark today on my weight loss. 41 still to lose until I reevaluate how much (if any) I need to lose beyond that.

I'm off to eat a second bowl of meat.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #27
PrimalBeard
Brawn

Arrow Videos from 9/16 squats

Original Form:

Attempting to reduce the arch:

Focusing on knees past the toes:

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Right now you are starting with your hips really far back when you begin the descent and this is causing you to lean forward as you descend. This is contributing to being unable to reach good depth. You are collapsing forward.

Keep working on form and don't get frustrated!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
PrimalBeard
Brawn

GPP

Neighbor asked me to start motivating him to walk a few times a week. We walked a mile tonight.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #30
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Its amazing how much just adding a mile a day can improve CV fitness, especially for desk jockies like myself. Is it mike thats trying to get out and walk?
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote