Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hey soldier...been a while since I went in service. Has the recruiter talked about what bodyweight they expect you to be at once you get into basic?
They do go by weight, but if someone is over weight then they measure bodyfat. They do it by measuring your neck and your waiste and plugging the numbers into a formula. It's completely idoitic, and every person who measures you does it differently. Sometimes I'm 18%, sometimes 22%, depending on who measures me.

Either way, I only have to be under something like 26%, so I'm fine. I have a lot less fat and am in much better shape than a lot of guys going in.

There's good news as far as PT. One of the future soldiers is placed in charge of the whole group. He/she runs PT, choosing what we do for the whole workout. This person is known as the Platoon Sergeant. Our last Platoon Sergeant was this ball-busting chick who kicked our asses, but not in what I consider a positive way. She expected brand new soldiers to know things, and we got dropped when they didn't, even if it was their first day. The new platoon Sergeant is a little less gung-ho, and is more open to suggestions from others, myself included. I plan to apply some of my training knowledge when I get the chance to.

At this point it's almost a certaintly that I'm 2nd or 3rd in line to be the next platoon sergeant, which will be a lot of fun. I've already come up with a few routines that should give everyone a great workout, with scalability for different fitness levels, which is what is missing now.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
They do go by weight, but if someone is over weight then they measure bodyfat. They do it by measuring your neck and your waiste and plugging the numbers into a formula. It's completely idoitic, and every person who measures you does it differently. Sometimes I'm 18%, sometimes 22%, depending on who measures me.

Either way, I only have to be under something like 26%, so I'm fine. I have a lot less fat and am in much better shape than a lot of guys going in.
I'm glad to know they changed this. I was in basic with an ex-Auburn football who weighed 225 and they used to make him run and run and run to lose weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
I'm glad to know they changed this. I was in basic with an ex-Auburn football who weighed 225 and they used to make him run and run and run to lose weight.
Honestly, at this point the Army has no choice. That may change if we really go into peacetime mode, but if they tried to hold high standard with the video game generation they wouldn't have anyone going in.

There are three types of people I've seen going in. There's the scrawny pencil neck video game geeks, the slow, overweight video game geeks, and the athletes who don't have a single issue in PT. Of course, you can't generalize enery single person, but most fall into these categories.

One annoying thing is that they have us do tons of situps, but then if our waistes grow it makes the numbers look like we have more fat. That's why I've been training my neck to counter that affect. You can see in my profile pick that I have a large waiste, with huge hip bones that stick out of my sides. Sure, I've got some fat to lose, but the neck to waiste ratio is just a horrible way to test BF%.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

We had to do flutterkicks thankfully. Not an exercise many know, but after a few thousand reps, quite painful.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
Soldier
Max Brawn

Don't worry BTB, we're carrying on that tradition!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
Soldier
Max Brawn

PT was easy today. Some lunges followed up with some running. All of it really, really hard for some of these pencil neck kids, and really, really easy for big ol' strong me. We did end by doing 190 push ups when people got lots of questions wrong, but we got to go to our knees when we could do no more with good form. I thought about getting out the dragging sled I keep in my car for a few rounds after everyone else left, but I do have that pregnant wife to get home to.

Here's what I ate after I got home from PT;
2 sirloin steaks wrapped in bacon then grilled and covered in cheese,
1 chicken breast split into two pieces, fried in EVOO and covered in cheese,
and 1 beef burger patty with, of course, CHEESE.

I'm getting sick of savory, creamy foods. I really want something sweet, but luckily I have Diet Sierra Mist to tide me over. My wife went shopping, which is never a good thing, and she brought home chocolate soy milk and ice cream.

Thanks baby, I love adding extra temptations to my life!

Of course, she didn't get EGGS, which is the one thing I needed that I'm also completely out of.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
Soldier
Max Brawn

Seeing as PT was so easy today, I'm going to try out my new lower body routine tomorrow, instead of resting as planned. That'll give me an extra day to recouperate thursday if I need it, seeing as this lower body routine is probably going to be tough as hell.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I can't resist ice cream. I need the frig chained.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #29
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
I can't resist ice cream. I need the frig chained.
I hear ya. It's been easier to resist temptation on this diet though, because it's so cut and dry. I can't have sugar. . .simple as that. Having things be so black and white makes it easier to stick to when things get tough, because I can't justify little things here and there. On this diet, if I were to have carbs "here and there", I'd be compeltely screwing myself with the amount of fat I'm taking in.

3 days to carb up time!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #30
Soldier
Max Brawn

First lower body routine is complete!

It was an enlightening experience, especially trying to do squats for time. It didn't work out like I thought it would. I fould myself "saving" myself and had trouble keeping track of time on my own. As I got out my 30th rep with 135 the 2:30 mark passed, and my back was pumping so bad that I called it a day and racked it. Instead of timing it, I think I'm going to go by reps. Today I did 30, next time I'll try for 35, then 40. Once I reach 50 I'll add weight and go back down to 30.

Today's workout;
Warm up- 4:00 walking on steepest incline on treadmill at 2.5 mph. Heart rate was 140 at completion of Warm up.
Squats-
135x5 and 185x3 for warm up.
135x30 for working set.
Leg extensions-
60x20
90x15
Standing single leg curl machine-
25x13
15x18
Calf presses with bar on back, using step.
135x12
225x9
315x5
225x7
135x10

body weight today- 208

Caloric intake is being lowered, mostly because I'm just so over the food I'm eating. I consider this a big positive, because I don't have to fight the urge to eat when I'm just not that excited about what I'm going to be eating. That being said, I haven't had much hunger to deal with, and I feel GREAT. My body is running very well off of fat. Energy is good, waking up in the morning is really easy, even though I have trouble getting to sleep at night which would normally leave me groggy in the morning. This diet is working PERFECTLY for my goals. I can see just a bit more in the abs than I could a week ago. Muscles do look a bit flat, but WHO CARES. I'm trying to get lean and strong, and how my muscles look is definitely in third place behind the other two, even if it's admittedly a close third.

Not sure if I'll rest tomorrow or do something for some cardio. Maybe a little racquetball to get the blood flowing and the heart pumping.

Last edited by Soldier; 09-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.