Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Thanks! My wife will be 8 months preggers when I graduate brom basic training. . .should be an interesting time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to be there for the birth. Gotta love the life of a soldier. :/
I hear you. Not easy, that's for sure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I went out with the in-laws last night. I ate baked salmon with broccoli and asperigus as a side, everything coated in whipped butter. It was the first fiber I'd had in two days. I've gotta find a fiber supplement soon, because the plumbing is definitely not flowing at the moment.

I fell short on my calories.

Yesterday's totals;
calories- 2647
carbs- 44 (-9g fiber for 33 net carbs)
fat- 163
protein- 263

I fell far short on my fat, which is fine because I went over yesterday.

I started to feel sick after my dinner. Everything in my body hurt. My joints, my muscles, my head, my stomach, everything was sick in turn. I came straight home and went to bed instead of drinking a shake or something to get my 3k cals and 200+ grams of fat.

Bodyweight- 209lbs.

This is exactly the same as yesterday, and I think coming up short on cals is being offset by the fact that I'm so backed up and the moment. Once I finally go I'll lose about a lb.

Now excuse me, I've got some baconand eggs to cook!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You feeling better today?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Thanks! My wife will be 8 months preggers when I graduate brom basic training. . .
Quote:
I went out with the in-laws last night.
What branch of the service are you in that you have liberty while in boot camp?

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I ship in January. I've signed all the papers to be a soldier in the US Army, but they have so many people coming in that you have to wait to ship these days. The average wait is 6 months. My wife is only 7 weeks right now, which is why she'll be 8 months when I graduate from basic. Lots of time to go before then, lots of preparation to do to make sure my body is as ready as possible for 10 weeks of physical and mental stress.

I'm feeling better BTB, thanks! The next morning after I went out I still felt exhausted, but I started to feel better through the day, so hopefully I've gotten over the hump and should be good from this point on.

I went to the UF Gators football game last night with my wife, which meant lots of walking and sitting unconfortably squished with lots of other people. After all these power cleans over 3 days my lower back is aching, so much that for today's workout I did something different, focussing on chest and back with a simple super set of bench and bodyweight rows, pulling myself up to the bar on another bench press rack with my feet on the bench.

I'm going to work on a new plan to take some stress off my back and let me hit a couple other things harder, so we'll see how that goes.

today's bodyweight- 208

Yesterday I didn't get my 3k cals again, which is what I credit for the weight loss. I could also be losing some of the mass I got while on the Epistane. I don't mind. At this point muscle mass will just get in my way, and I just want the strength without the bulk to slow me down. My muscles look and feel really flat, which I'm sure is because of the lack of carbs. Yesterday I took jack3d for the first time in over a month and when I trained my muscles filled up like balloons. It was temporary, of course, but still nice to see. I don't forsee any problems getting through this week while sticking to the super low carbs, and then this coming weekend it will be carb up time!

Hopefully I'll drop another lb or 2 this week in preparation for the carb up, when I'm sure I'll gain a little water weight.

By the way, I had the good fortunae to realize that the low-carb tortillas we have contain 32 grams of carbs, but 26 grams of fiber! That means only 6 net carbs, and my daily fiber needs taken care of in one go. This morning I used one to make a breakfast burrito and I feel a lot better for it.

I'm off now to figure out how to tweak this program so it doesn't tweak my back.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn

Ok, the new plan is in place! The focus will be on muscular endurance, with rest periods minimized to also keep the heart rate up for fat loss and cardiovascular endurance. I'll be using an upper/lower split 4 days a week while still allowing time for PT.

Monday- rest

Tuesday- PT (full body workout lasting over 1.5 hours, usually VERY tough with lots of stuff to failure.)

Wednesday- rest

Thursday- Lower body
5:00 jog for warm up
Squats- 135lb done non-stop for time, starting at 3:00, adding :20 each session.
leg extensions- 2x15-20
leg curls- 2x15-20
calf press- 5x10-15

Friday- Upper body 1.
155lb. bench press/bodyweight row super set starting at 8 reps, ramping up to 14, then back down to 8 for a total of 140 reps each.
Abs

Saturday- Repeat lower body.

Sunday- Upper body 2.
dip/chin up superset starting at 4 reps, ramping up to 11, then back down to 4 for a total of 109 reps each.
Abs

I'm realizing that it's very tough to combine high volume with simplicity. When you do just a few moves a bunch of times throughout the week, you get tired in very specific ways that can make you burn out. This plan has a little more variety to it and doesn't nail my lower back like the old plan did. I'll stick to this, then add in things like power cleans when I back on the volume later on.

I got some fish oil to add to my supplements, and fiber powder to start adding to my shakes. Last night a had a shake with heavy cream, eggs, protein powder, creatine, and 8 grams of fiber. Around 500 calories, and a quick 30+ grams each of fat and protein. It was pretty good, but all the creaminess just isn't the same without the sweetness to go along with it.

I'll live though.

bodyweight- 211.2

Bodyweight is up today. I'm sure that the original loss that comes with getting rid of the carbs is over, and hopefully things will even out around 209 this week, then I can slowly move calories down to get the fat coming off.

I've had trouble getting to sleep at night, but I've been so quick to get up in the mornings it hasn't mattered! As soon as that alarm goes off I'm up and ready to go. I've always been ok with mornings, but this diet has made me even better about it. I wouldn't want to sleep past 8 even if I could.

I started taking Erase today as part of my PCT. My test has already been elevated, so I'm interested to see how this will affect me. I've been much quicker to get angry the past week than in the past, and still find my aggression to be elevated. I've even been a little short with my wife, which is completely new. It's not enough to worry though. Who'd have thought I'd have roid rage issues just on elevated natural hormone levels?! Gym sessions are intense, with the only issue being my lower back aches, and I blame that completely on poor foresight on my part when planning this program.

I'm excited about keeping the intensity going with this new plan and hopefully seeing some good results.

Last edited by Soldier; 09-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
I'm realizing that it's very tough to combine high volume with simplicity.
Actually high volume and simplicity go hand in hand. When you train high volume it's best to stick to absolute basic compound movements. No extras at all.

IMPO - leg extension and leg curls are are best for making orthpedic surgeons wealthier. They are supreme meniscus shearing tools!

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

I hear you on the extensions and curls. Honestly, I haven't used either in a long while, but I was inspired to place them in this program. It may be a mistake, but I won't know until I try it. It'll be light weights, working for maximum muscular endurance in specific muscles to compliment the compound movements, which have been and will always be the foundation of any of my training programs.

As for the simplicity, I think we just meant two different things. For me, the programI had was great, but doing it every day with cleans and the other things involved was killing my back. I need to "spread the wealth" and hit some other things, which is what I meant when I said that over simplification wasn't working.

Thanks for your input, and thanks for reading along. I know I can be long winded!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Hey soldier...been a while since I went in service. Has the recruiter talked about what bodyweight they expect you to be at once you get into basic?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Quote:
I hear you on the extensions and curls. Honestly, I haven't used either in a long while, but I was inspired to place them in this program. It may be a mistake, but I won't know until I try it. It'll be light weights, working for maximum muscular endurance in specific muscles
Leg extensions and curls put your knee under stress at the shear point in the ROM. What they do is create almost a meat slicer effect on the meniscus with the chondral cartilage. Not good!

Good luck!