Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #1531
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I wouldn't have been strong enough at 230 to justify such excessive body fat in my opinion.
I tell guys that it's best to look at weight gain over the course of 3-5 years. A lot of lifters gain too much weight during year one. They do these super bulks.

I just wanted to stick my nose in and remind you that when you come off this diet and start eating carbs and more calories, you'll gain 5-10 pounds of water, etc. So don't fear that bounce back gain. It's not fat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #1532
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Super duper start. Bring on the DOMS.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #1533
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I tell guys that it's best to look at weight gain over the course of 3-5 years. A lot of lifters gain too much weight during year one. They do these super bulks.

I just wanted to stick my nose in and remind you that when you come off this diet and start eating carbs and more calories, you'll gain 5-10 pounds of water, etc. So don't fear that bounce back gain. It's not fat.
Thanks Steve Your advice is always welcome.

For the record, what would you recommend for a bulk? Let's say I am at 175-180 at the end of February for example; Is it wise to look for steady weight gain for 10 months, say in the 40 pound region to get towards 220 by year's end or would should a bulk only be sustained for say 4-6 months and 20 pounds a time? I'm jumping the gun a bit since I'm at least 8 weeks (possibly 12) from entering that phase but it would be nice to know.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #1534
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Not Steve, but in my opinion start your bulk when you're already well into PR territory on a consistent basis. Then add in the calories to sustain more PRs for more months.

A lot of guys do it in reverse; they bulk and then the strength comes. No! This is obvious, you bulk and of course you'll get stronger by default that doesn't mean your effort in the gym was upto par. You should already be gaining some strength before you add in more calories. Get a consistent run of PRs under your belt, get comfortable with working hard, do all the work to build up to a consistent flow in the gym THEN add in more calories.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #1535
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Not Steve, but in my opinion start your bulk when you're already well into PR territory on a consistent basis. Then add in the calories to sustain more PRs for more months.

A lot of guys do it in reverse; they bulk and then the strength comes. No! This is obvious, you bulk and of course you'll get stronger by default that doesn't mean your effort in the gym was upto par. You should already be gaining some strength before you add in more calories. Get a consistent run of PRs under your belt, get comfortable with working hard, do all the work to build up to a consistent flow in the gym THEN add in more calories.
Quick and incisive advice Prof, thanks Makes perfect sense.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #1536
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Quick and incisive advice Prof, thanks Makes perfect sense.
No worries.

In regards to your routine and motivation, you've done well if we say this is your first *serious* year. I don't think my numbers were much over yours after a year, my deadlift was perhaps a bit higher but that's it. Your form and depth is probably better as well.

Only further advice I'd give at this point is not to sweat the details. You should have 2 or 3 markers of progression. These are the 3 lifts that you always keep an eye on and will determine whether you're progressing or not. As long as those 3 are moving up over time, you're winning. That's what a lot of guys, me included need to bear in mind. The triples, the assistance, the variation, the high volume, the deloads etc are all tools to enable us to lift more in the big 3. At the end of the month, if they're up then it's a win.

Just always keep that in the back of your mind.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #1537
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
No worries.

In regards to your routine and motivation, you've done well if we say this is your first *serious* year. I don't think my numbers were much over yours after a year, my deadlift was perhaps a bit higher but that's it. Your form and depth is probably better as well.

Only further advice I'd give at this point is not to sweat the details. You should have 2 or 3 markers of progression. These are the 3 lifts that you always keep an eye on and will determine whether you're progressing or not. As long as those 3 are moving up over time, you're winning. That's what a lot of guys, me included need to bear in mind. The triples, the assistance, the variation, the high volume, the deloads etc are all tools to enable us to lift more in the big 3. At the end of the month, if they're up then it's a win.

Just always keep that in the back of your mind.
Thanks again
I have a patchy history with the iron
I first lifted weights in 2000-2001 I think, dumbbells at home and a crappy bench which was rarely used. Lifted VERY infrequently till 2006 which was college (2005 was the first time I'd ever been in an actual gym.) Lifted in college but with no rhyme or reason and consistently took more steps back than forward. Heck, February-March this year was the first time I ever squatted to depth and 2011 was the first time I ever touched the chest with a bench So yeah, I guess this is my first *serious* year

I'm started conservatively with Steve's program but should hit PR territory in a few months. Just need to ensure 2013 is better than 2012 under the iron

Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #1538
Fazc
Max Brawn

Yeah exactly, you've done well to sort those issues out now. I was still squatting sky high well into my second year of serious training and my Bench never reached the dizzying heights of 100kg until 3 years in. So don't worry about that, it's no accurate reflection of your overall potential.

Quote:
I'm started conservatively with Steve's program but should hit PR territory in a few months. Just need to ensure 2013 is better than 2012 under the iron
Unless there's any particular reason why you're starting conservatively, and frankly the only one I can think of is that you've lost your ballsac, I wouldn't take a few months to hit PR territory. I wouldn't even take a few days, I'd smash a PR next time you get to the gym.

Building up, running in, building momentum etc etc are all bogus. You're not trying to jump a wall, so you don't need momentum. You need to get in the gym and smash.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1539
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Yeah exactly, you've done well to sort those issues out now. I was still squatting sky high well into my second year of serious training and my Bench never reached the dizzying heights of 100kg until 3 years in. So don't worry about that, it's no accurate reflection of your overall potential.

Unless there's any particular reason why you're starting conservatively, and frankly the only one I can think of is that you've lost your ballsac, I wouldn't take a few months to hit PR territory. I wouldn't even take a few days, I'd smash a PR next time you get to the gym.

Building up, running in, building momentum etc etc are all bogus. You're not trying to jump a wall, so you don't need momentum. You need to get in the gym and smash.
SUMMARY - Sack up and lift what you're capable of
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #1540
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:

My strength has tailed off in recent months and I'm around 10% off PR range in the big 3. The weight loss has had an effect for sure but I'm acutely aware that mentally I'm not near peak either.
I'll be honest, my confidence under very heavy weights has almost gone. I'm hoping to rebuild it in the next couple of months. These sound like excuses and I know this also needs to change.

I am aiming to hit 50 reps in 30 minutes in the deadlift challenge if that counts