Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #611
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Trust me when I say this I know exactly how you feel with squats, it just seems to go up so very very slow. Just stay with it kuyt every pound counts and they will add up a lot quicker then you think!
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #612
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Squats are a weird one, took me about 6 months of squatting 120-130 before it clicked and they started moving up. Stick with it and it will pay off.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #613
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It never gets easier. But with practice you learn to ignore it. I've been training with 400 squats for 4 years, and it always feels like I am going to get killed.

Keep charging hard.
Will do skipper, thanks Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
You'll get used to the weight mate. It's all about smashing away at it until you feel damn confident taking it out the rack.
Thanks Hazz. Confident is so damned vital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Well I was gonna say!

I was talking to Steve about just this the other day. God knows you're right, when it finally clicks or in my case when you're finally healthy again all you want to do is progress.

I might be accused of being too 'results focused' in training or on forums but it's only because I know, as you do now, that time is not to be wasted and we can accomplish so much if we put our minds to it, or accomplish so little if we don't. Life is too short for mistakes we know we shouldn't be making.
I don't agree that you're too results orientated at all. In your case, you wish to compete so progress is a must or else you'll get planted under the bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Do you know what one of the most common characteristics of winners is??

Persistence

And you def have persistence.

If the squats are feeling once you reach a certain point, then why not try some walk outs with 150kgs or thereabouts , I do this for a time when I feel a certain weight was heavy ,
I may do that Mark, thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Head up, Kuyt! Get some positive mental energy going for you. Squats are my nemesis too. We'll figure them out one day.

Hey I see your boys won the Carling Cup (IIRC) a couple weeks ago. That shouldda cheered you up.
Thanks Mike. They did but lost two games since the bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Trust me when I say this I know exactly how you feel with squats, it just seems to go up so very very slow. Just stay with it kuyt every pound counts and they will add up a lot quicker then you think!
Thanks imp I know 290 odd must have felt heavy for you when you were around 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Squats are a weird one, took me about 6 months of squatting 120-130 before it clicked and they started moving up. Stick with it and it will pay off.
Thanks J. Your squats are excellent technique and weight wise so it's nice to know even you had issues which you have overcome spectacularly.

Tuesday 13 March
Bench
60x5
70x3
85x2
100x1
107.5x1 - Felt about as rough as last week but I said screw it, time to up the ante.
110x1 - Not a technical triumph but it went up and wasn't life and death.

97.5x3x3 - Last rep of last set was 1-2 inches off chest but I will let it slide Better than last week which is always the goal.

Squats
Decided on the classic 5x5 ramping for squat session #2 in the week. Decided to try a wider more PL stance and practiced pushing out with the outsides of the feet. Felt as if there was a shorter ROM overall. Also found the big difference between comfortable squats and hard reps on camera. There were a couple of smooth reps on the top set which was encouraging. Lots of technical improvement needed of course but I felt as if I learned something significant today. Sunday will be the test of course.

60x5
70x5
80x5
90x5
100x5 - Definitely adding 5kg next week. Tragically, this is my heaviest 5 rep set since I adjusted and got parallel!

BTNP
52.5x5
52.5x3
52.5x3 - Not great but I was ultra strict and this is a new exercise for me.

Weighted Dips + 20kg
5,4,4 - Will stick with 20kg till I get 3 x 6 or even 3 x 7

Abs -
Serratus crunch + 10kg dumbbells 12,10,9
supersetted with

Rope pulldowns: Pin 18 - 3 x 12

YES! This really tested my midsection, man it was hard
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #614
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Nice session! Like everybody said once your forms down the squat is going to move fast!
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #615
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Nice benching big man.
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #616
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Ew rope pulldowns kill me. Did I just say ew?

Quote:
110x1 - Not a technical triumph but it went up and wasn't life and death.
Point A to point B. Got it done.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #617
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'm ALL about rope pulldowns, they're amazing!

Can't do them anymore, my one great for a home gym /ssssiiiiiiigggghhhhhhh
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #618
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Did you get the bench press up? Thats all that matters!

Also it wasn't that long ago I couldn't do 275 for reps and 300 was my max, trust me read the very first page of my log! So when I say your squat will start to move fast, again trust me it will.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #619
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That was nice benching. And Benching is a cruel lift too, I've yet to see anyone who nails weights close to their max with a technical triumph too. As BtB once said, ugly lifts turn into pretty over time. Something like that anyway.

Keep plugging away. Maybe if Liverpool would win now and again, you'd be lifting without so much sarcasm.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #620
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Nice session! Like everybody said once your forms down the squat is going to move fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Nice benching big man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ew rope pulldowns kill me. Did I just say ew?

Point A to point B. Got it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I'm ALL about rope pulldowns, they're amazing!

Can't do them anymore, my one great for a home gym /ssssiiiiiiigggghhhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Did you get the bench press up? Thats all that matters!

Also it wasn't that long ago I couldn't do 275 for reps and 300 was my max, trust me read the very first page of my log! So when I say your squat will start to move fast, again trust me it will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That was nice benching. And Benching is a cruel lift too, I've yet to see anyone who nails weights close to their max with a technical triumph too. As BtB once said, ugly lifts turn into pretty over time. Something like that anyway.

Keep plugging away. Maybe if Liverpool would win now and again, you'd be lifting without so much sarcasm.
Thanks fellas! I used to think 300 was a big squat number, now I see it as just a number. 500 on the other hand....

And Liverpool won last night Mike
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote