Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Pushing the envelope is fine but not when you've just got back!

Stop doing all-out max sets so soon, build up to it, there's a process here!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #1672
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Pushing the envelope is fine but not when you've just got back!

Stop doing all-out max sets so soon, build up to it, there's a process here!
140x5 in the deadlift was supposed to be 'easy' for me which is why I am so disappointed. The plan is to get towards PR level in March with lots of good work this month to establish a base.
As always, cheers for your input

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #1673
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
140x5 in the deadlift was supposed to be 'easy' for me which is why I am so disappointed.
Based on... what you did when you were 10kg heavier?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Some discrepancy here, I can't figure out what it is though...
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #1674
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
The plan is to get towards PR level in March with lots of good work this month to establish a base.
Also how is one top set of Deadlifts done once a week going to establish a base?!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #1675
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Based on... what you did when you were 10kg heavier?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Some discrepancy here, I can't figure out what it is though...
To be fair, I was repping 150kg in the middle of my cut as my deadlifts were the last to be affected but I see your point, just allowing frustration to get the best of me.

Quote:
Also how is one top set of Deadlifts done once a week going to establish a base?!
Do you think something like 3 x 3 is a better option?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1676
Fazc
Max Brawn

Yeah, I really think you'd be best off re approaching your training from one step down. So not as an intermediate but as a beginner again. You need more reps, more practice and now this is a perfect time for you to build up your lower back so you can finally solve the lower back issues which have riddled your training (yes I do pay attention to the people I moan at).

So basing this off the premise you're training as a beginner again. If you look at this article here:

Training Frequency and Muscle Building: Huge Gainer Round Table #1 | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

You'll see that it's a popular opinion, train frequently with a small pool of exercises. This is your opportunity to go back and fill in bits of your foundation which were never there in the first place, as is evident with all of your major lifts.

3 x 3 won't cut it either. You need dedicated lower back work for medium-high reps. If you can't do either the squat, bench or deadlift three times a week for moderate volume without pain, then you are a prime candidate for remedial work. You are just that.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #1677
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yeah, I really think you'd be best off re approaching your training from one step down. So not as an intermediate but as a beginner again. You need more reps, more practice and now this is a perfect time for you to build up your lower back so you can finally solve the lower back issues which have riddled your training (yes I do pay attention to the people I moan at).

So basing this off the premise you're training as a beginner again. If you look at this article here:

Training Frequency and Muscle Building: Huge Gainer Round Table #1 | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

You'll see that it's a popular opinion, train frequently with a small pool of exercises. This is your opportunity to go back and fill in bits of your foundation which were never there in the first place, as is evident with all of your major lifts.

3 x 3 won't cut it either. You need dedicated lower back work for medium-high reps. If you can't do either the squat, bench or deadlift three times a week for moderate volume without pain, then you are a prime candidate for remedial work. You are just that.
I laughed at the bit in bold

What can I say? Except thanks! Really appreciate the fact that you're willing to take the time to help a struggling lifter out. People like you and Steve make this forum great!

Nice pic in the article you big poser

So you think that 3x12 for squats, deadlifts, bench, OHP and barbell row should be my training 3 times a week using straight sets at first then ramping with deads? Is there any need to add in chins and dips?
This is a really good opportunity to train without a belt to improve a badly lagging midsection.

Dumb question but where do you think a good place to start is in terms of weights?

Last edited by Kuytrider; 02-03-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #1678
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
This is a really good opportunity to train without a belt to improve a badly lagging midsection.
Exactly.

Do away with aids (lol) for the time being, anything which will bump your poundages up needs to go. So no wraps or belt, no long rest periods, no psyching up. No shallow squats.

Get some reps in, and really fine tune yourself into your body and figure out the best bar paths for you. This might last a month, and at the end you should be significantly more conditioned and can then look at varying the reps somewhat.

In terms of what exercises, you need

A squat
A dead
A bench
An overhead
An upper pull

That's it. I'd say Bench, Squat and maybe SLDL should definitely be there. The rest is up for grabs, though as always my preference is barbell overhead and chins. No need for Dips yet.

Always start with Squat, Bench, Dead in that order and then ideally superset your presses and chins to finish. Work fast-ish.

Absolutely NO max reps for a month. No top sets either, learn the lifts. You have a lifetime to max out, LEARN THE LIFTS.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #1679
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Dumb question but where do you think a good place to start is in terms of weights?
No idea, you don't wanna work hard in the first week anyway, although y9ou will be gassed. Second week should have you at a comfortable pace. Third and fourth week should be challenging but doable.

Don't fuck your form to get reps in, keep it strict.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #1680
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
... then ramping with deads?
Don't even think about ramping with deads just yet.

It'll happen when it happens and it might not. Deadlifts don't inherently need more recovery time, that's just people being unconditioned.