Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I know what you mean Kuyt, I've been there. Trust me, I've been there. I'm not trying to bully you into lifting, and I wouldn't if I didn't believe it wasn't beneficial to you.

However in my experience, the only way to get re-accustomed to heavy lifting and to get that mentality back IS to start lifting heavy again. You won't get accustomed to hard, intense work by not doing it. By the end of the 2-3 months you won't be *primed* or *have momentum*, you'll be detrained and deconditioned. Ill-equipped to lift anything heavy, and out of that mind set for far, far longer.

Our body's are highly adaptive. If there's no stress for a prolonged period, you'll become soft. On the other hand, the harder you play the tougher you'll get both physically and mentally.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #1542
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

There's also more than one way to skin a cat. If you're not confident with max weights, then don't max out at first. Build up reps instead. The 8th rep with 200 is just as hard as the first rep with 260 for example. The only difference is you had those first 7 reps to build up some confidence.

Just buckle up and go after it. You'll get it no question.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1543
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
My strength has tailed off in recent months and I'm around 10% off PR range in the big 3. The weight loss has had an effect for sure but I'm acutely aware that mentally I'm not near peak either.
I'll be honest, my confidence under very heavy weights has almost gone. I'm hoping to rebuild it in the next couple of months. These sound like excuses and I know this also needs to change.

I am aiming to hit 50 reps in 30 minutes in the deadlift challenge if that counts
If I remember right Kuyt you went on a cut and dumped your calories a lot. This is a cutting no-no. Best to slowly pull back than to drop 1000kcals a day, or whatever your jump was.

I didn't want to stick my nose in your business or goals, but this is a common cutting error.

When you are eating, say, 3000 calories and decide to do a cut, drop things very slowly. Dropping calories and adding a lot of cardio is a recipe for tough times. These things should only be done on a cut when they are needed and the status quu is stuck a bit.

Your strength is down because you cut too aggressively.

Again, I am not trying to pound you about this. Many guys do this. Most don't know there is a better way.

Next time you cut drop only 200 calories for 2 weeks and add no cardio. See how things go. Move slowly down from that point only when you need too. Slowly add a little cardio only when you need to.

And don't wait 2 months. That's a waste of lifting time and results. You are working hard right now. Keep that up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-04-2012 at 10:19 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #1544
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Thanks again for the advice guys.

My calories are at 2100-2200 a day on average now. At 207, I was eating in the ballpark of 2600-2700 on average with the activity level of a sloth. So I dropped around 500-600 a day on average and yes, I did drop them within a couple of weeks which was a mistake in hindsight. When I eventually start eating more calories again I'll have to be careful because I gain weight with preposterous ease. My weight loss has been 18 pounds in around 14 weeks.

I've taken your advice on board and will be more aggressive when picking my weights

Getting it done one session at a time.

Last edited by Kuytrider; 12-05-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #1545
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I've taken your advice on board and will be more aggressive when picking my weights

is there any other way

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #1546
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Totally agreed with Steve and Alan ... If I remembered correctly, you were into cutting mode very aggressively as start. And at the same time you were logging of dropping in strength. But since your main motive was cutting down the wt. , it didn't bothered you too much. Don't run but take one step at a time and everything will be smooth pretty soon ...

START LIFTING HEAVY ....
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #1547
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post

is there any other way
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Totally agreed with Steve and Alan ... If I remembered correctly, you were into cutting mode very aggressively as start. And at the same time you were logging of dropping in strength. But since your main motive was cutting down the wt. , it didn't bothered you too much. Don't run but take one step at a time and everything will be smooth pretty soon ...

START LIFTING HEAVY ....
Thanks guys. I'm starting to think forum members on here are obsessed with lifting heavy I've revised my starting numbers for all lifts on the new program thus lifting weights that were scheduled 6-8 weeks away. For example, I was going to program squats at 85 and 100 for the density and strength parts respectively but in hindsight, this is far too low so it will now be 100 and 115 respectively. All other lifts will receive similar increases.

Thurs 6 Dec 2012
Cycle 1 Week 1 Back Density

I was supposed to do Pendlay rows and chins but ended up doing the deadlift challenge and you'll forgive me for not having much left to complete other lifts!

Power Cleans
77.5kg: 5 x singles - Mostly crisp and powerful. This weight is almost 90% of my 1RM so that's a good sign.

December Deadlift Challenge - Think I found my ballsac today
Was supposed to hit 15 singles in 10 minutes but went for the challenge instead. My 1RM is 185kg so 70% is 129.5kg which obviously means 130kg was the weight lifted.

Ended up doing 66 reps in 30 minutes, easily a volume PR
Conditioning is really kicking on, felt fresh at the end with the only issue the tightening lower back. Actually did almost as many reps in the last 10 minutes as the first 10 and was speeding up towards the end. Did almost all triples with the occasional double and 2 sets of 4 thrown in.

On a side note, is it me or are gym rats lazy? Does anyone clean the weight off the floor anymore?

With about 6 minutes left on the challenge, some bro came up to me and asked how much I have left. When he eventually used the power rack, what did himself and his bro partner do? Shoulder presses with 2.5kg on each side followed by 5kg on each side. My point is not the weight lifted, it's the fact that they could have easily performed that exercise in another section of the gym. Just lift the bar off the ground people Rant over.

Getting it done one session at a time.

Last edited by Kuytrider; 12-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #1548
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

66 is monster work Kuyt. Nice job. I'll be lucky to get half that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #1549
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

66 at 130kgs , nicely done.
Not a hope of me getting near this!

As for gym rats not cleaning the weight up to press it….
Don’t be so ridiculous bro , you know that by cleaning the bar up you are wasting energy that could be used to press it

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #1550
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Nice reppage.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote