Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Keep smashing hard , in a few months time you will be warming up with these numbers and complaining your new PRs are too low
Haha! I'm Irish, it's what we do! If I was squatting 4 plates, I'd be moaning that I've not hit 400 yet and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's right. Close, but not close enough.
Not sure what you mean Steve You mean Hobart is close to Chicago?

Tuesday 26 June
My low back has felt a bit shite for the last few weeks. Feels like there's a cold in it, that kind of feeling. Anyway, didn't affect me today.

Squats
60x5
72.5x5
82.5x5
92.5x5
105(231) x 5 - Not easy but much better than last week.

Bench
50x5
60x5
72.5x5
82.5x5
92.5x5 - Last 2 reps were not so easy but in no danger of missing a rep either. Paused bench for first 3 sets

Pendlay Row
45x5
52.5x5
60x5
67.5x5
75(165) x 5 - Felt easy, establishing a rhythm with these.

Weighted Dips + 20kg
2 x 8

Chins B/W
5, 5, 4

Leg Curl pin 9 1 x 8
Pin 10 1 x 8

Weighted declines with 27.5kg DB
2 x 8

Weighted Russian Twist with 15kg plate
2 x 8

Cardio - Yesterday: 45 flights of stairs
Today - 2 x 20 flights, one before, one after the session.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1052
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Workin your ass off Kuyt!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #1053
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Haha! I'm Irish, it's what we do! If I was squatting 4 plates, I'd be moaning that I've not hit 400 yet and so on
As a fellow irishman I know exactly what you mean here

Remind me again where you are from? Old age is catching up with me but I think its out west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUYTRIDER View Post

Tuesday 26 June
My low back has felt a bit shite for the last few weeks. Feels like there's a cold in it, that kind of feeling. Anyway, didn't affect me today.

Squats
60x5
72.5x5
82.5x5
92.5x5
105(231) x 5 - Not easy but much better than last week.

Bench
50x5
60x5
72.5x5
82.5x5
92.5x5 - Last 2 reps were not so easy but in no danger of missing a rep either. Paused bench for first 3 sets

Pendlay Row
45x5
52.5x5
60x5
67.5x5
75(165) x 5 - Felt easy, establishing a rhythm with these.

Weighted Dips + 20kg
2 x 8

Chins B/W
5, 5, 4

Leg Curl pin 9 1 x 8
Pin 10 1 x 8

Weighted declines with 27.5kg DB
2 x 8

Weighted Russian Twist with 15kg plate
2 x 8

Cardio - Yesterday: 45 flights of stairs
Today - 2 x 20 flights, one before, one after the session.
Nice session today buddy. Good to see the top sets for each were ok, time to up the weight so

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1054
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
That confused me for a bit until I realized you meant 4 20Kg plates! 4 plates for me is 405, so I was dumfounded for a bit there.

I agree with everyone. Just keep plugging away and it will come. You and me are like opposites. I can bench and now squat sort of decently, but you can deadlift lightyears beyond me. Between us, we'd make a decent lifter!

Seriously, one thing that helped me was to add speed to the lift. I noticed going slow on the way down, I felt every pound on the bar for far too long and it got to me mentally before I ever even started to press upward. Like the weight was way too heavy before I even started to actually lift it.

Starting with the warmups and everything you do, just do it faster. Commit to the descent with perhaps uncomfortabe speed, then rebound out of the hole and past that horrible sticking spot on squats, then just stand up.

Bench is similar. Too slow of a grind down wears you out before you even start pressing. Commit, drop it to your chest, kind of start pressing before you even stop as that is the way you stop it at your chest anyway, and press it out before you start feeling how heavy it is.

My.02 FWIW. You know me, full of unsolicited advice that may or may not work.

Good stuff, Kuyt! Always an inspiration. BTW, I think BtB meant close to him, but not close enough to actually come see you.

Cheers.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #1055
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Workin your ass off Kuyt!
Quote:
As a fellow irishman I know exactly what you mean here

Remind me again where you are from? Old age is catching up with me but I think its out west?

Nice session today buddy. Good to see the top sets for each were ok, time to up the weight so
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That confused me for a bit until I realized you meant 4 20Kg plates! 4 plates for me is 405, so I was dumfounded for a bit there.

I agree with everyone. Just keep plugging away and it will come. You and me are like opposites. I can bench and now squat sort of decently, but you can deadlift lightyears beyond me. Between us, we'd make a decent lifter!

Seriously, one thing that helped me was to add speed to the lift. I noticed going slow on the way down, I felt every pound on the bar for far too long and it got to me mentally before I ever even started to press upward. Like the weight was way too heavy before I even started to actually lift it.

Starting with the warmups and everything you do, just do it faster. Commit to the descent with perhaps uncomfortabe speed, then rebound out of the hole and past that horrible sticking spot on squats, then just stand up.

Bench is similar. Too slow of a grind down wears you out before you even start pressing. Commit, drop it to your chest, kind of start pressing before you even stop as that is the way you stop it at your chest anyway, and press it out before you start feeling how heavy it is.

My.02 FWIW. You know me, full of unsolicited advice that may or may not work.

Good stuff, Kuyt! Always an inspiration. BTW, I think BtB meant close to him, but not close enough to actually come see you.

Cheers.
Thanks guys.
I'm trying Jen!

I'm from the wild West of Ireland Mark or the 'Whest' as locals call it
West Clare to be precise.

Thanks Mike, always nice to get advice from fellow lifters, especially ones that are at similar strength levels and have similar goals. You're spot on with regards to the need for speed. It helps an awful lot.

Thursday 28 June
Had a pretty good session and what do I do? Strain the middle of my back reaching over for a towel when I got back home! Nothing major but I do have a tendency to strain parts of my back about every 2 months or so, it's very annoying cos it always happens at home, never in the gym.

Deadlifts
80x5
100x5
120x5
140(308)x5
Warm ups felt heavy, main set felt comfortable. 2-3 reps in the tank here and very controlled.

Power Cleans
60x3
70x3
77.5(171)x3
Could have been better.

Strict OHP
35x5
40x5
47.5x5
52.5(116)x5
Tricky. Not sure of my max 5RM but getting close 2.5-5kg I'd say. Though my push press is good, my strict press is not.

Shrugs - Rippetoe Style
I do these like he does in the video by lowering the weight and suddenly raising it. I hope this is ok.
80x5
100x5
120x5
130x5
140 (308) x12 - PR by about 5-7 reps!!!
Apologies to Steve Shaw. Not sure what I was doing with the Versa Gripps before but they are insanely good. I'm shocked by how good they are actually.
Did these double overhand and could have done more. Damn Gripps are like glue

Close Grip bench
60x5
82.5(181)x5
82.5x7
Pressing strength off today.

Hammer Curls
20(44) x8
20x8

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #1056
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Lots of quality work going on Kuyt, I imagine Madcow gets pretty brutal when you start getting up against multiple 5RM's per session.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #1057
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Nice work Kuyt, I also do my shrugs as you do so no corrections from me

I remember u did say you were from Clare before, apologies for my crap memory. Havent been over there in ages (seeing as im from the sunny south east) but might head across for a few days later in the summer.

Look after that back, hope its not too bad a strain

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #1058
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Lots of good work K!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #1059
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Had a pretty good session and what do I do? Strain the middle of my back reaching over for a towel when I got back home!
Better apply for your AARP card. Sorry, you're not in the states. never mind.

All my stupid injuries are away from the gym, doing piddly stuff. Hope it's gone quickly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #1060
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Lots of quality work going on Kuyt, I imagine Madcow gets pretty brutal when you start getting up against multiple 5RM's per session.
Quote:
Nice work Kuyt, I also do my shrugs as you do so no corrections from me

I remember u did say you were from Clare before, apologies for my crap memory. Havent been over there in ages (seeing as im from the sunny south east) but might head across for a few days later in the summer.

Look after that back, hope its not too bad a strain
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Lots of good work K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Better apply for your AARP card. Sorry, you're not in the states. never mind.

All my stupid injuries are away from the gym, doing piddly stuff. Hope it's gone quickly.
Thanks guys, it is deceptively tough. You see a lack of huge work sets but it does take its toll. My back strain was minor. I have had a couple of serious ones that lasted for a week or so over the years so I am always worried when it happens. As my traps sting like crazy, the shrugs certainly hit the spot Of course the deads and cleans also help

Saturday 30 June
Squats
60x5
72.5x5
85x5
95x5 - Annoyed with sucky depth. Lack of concentration.
110 (242) x3 - Much better depth wise and not a huge grind. Should be good for 5 reps on Tuesday.
85x8

Bench
50x5
60x5
72.5x5
82.5x5
95(209)x3 - Tough. Pressing strength not good in last 2 sessions.
72.5x8

Row
40x5
50x5
60x5
70x5
80(176)x3 - Easy, peasy
60x8

BB curls with large bar
40x8 - 2 sets

Leg Curls
Pin 10- 1x8