Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Thats a long ass workout. it looks great. I hope you can continue with those types of workouts without getting CNS burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
My legs felt good using the madcow approach. I like the power aspect of the Reg Park type 5x5, and will continue using that were I can. Did a little different session today, and expanded it a bit. I was looking to have a little better body progression from legs to back to shoulders.

Did a general whole body warmup with the empty bar to get the blood flowing, and stretch a little.
================================================== ========

Squats

2x5@130
1X5@145
1X5@165
1X5@185

Last three worksets are all up 5lbs from last session. The 185 for the last set was hard, and I almost stalled out getting back up. These squats ate ATG Olympic style.

Deads

3X5@185

This is the crossover move I added in today. The form for these is the first two parts of an olympic pull. Traps are shrugged at the top.

Bent rows

5x5@120

Decreased weight for these today. I was already a little worked from the added deadlift work. The weight felt as heavy as my normal row weight from the previous dead work.

Standing presses

3x5@120
2x5@120 push presses

Again, was feeling the extra work, and I had upped my weight from last session by 5lbs.

Bench press

2X5@130
1X5@185
2X4@185

Work sets are up 5lbs from last session. Was working hard on these, but feeling motivated. Almost had a bad accident. I forgot to add a 25lb plate to the bar on one side, and went to lift off. What a maroon! I was getting tired!

Dips
3Xtill I couldn't go.

The chin, pullup bar was not my friend today. The workout had been good, but I wanted a little more bicep work.

Barbell curls
3X5@60

I was feeling pretty wasted from all of the previous work. That 60 felt surprisingly heavy. This how I like to incorportate bicep work anyway. Just finish them after they have already been hit by compounds. I don't usually do more than 3 sets for them.

Finished

Total time today was about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Two off days till next session. I plan to continue hitting a little harder on Fridays.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #42
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Thats a long ass workout. it looks great. I hope you can continue with those types of workouts without getting CNS burnout
I actually feel good today. The three sets of deads were just right as an extra push. The first two sets of squats were pretty easy, and just helped to stretch things out under tension. It was the last two worksets that were real work.

This session still is within my max time limit for duration. 60 minutes is normal, 90 is max. As far as total sets, I try to never do more than 30 sets in a session. I could probably get by with only 3 worksets for presses if I push hard on them, and or do 2 sets of rear laterals.

I also try to hit as much as possible, and not go over 8 moves in a session.
This session is a long one. A short one would be something like:

Squats, back or front

One of these:
dead pulls/clean high pull/bent row/classic clean

Standing presses, weight cleaned

Bench

A short session would be 20 sets about 45 mins in length.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Sept 28th

Felt good over the weekend from the hard work this past Friday. Mondays are at the end of my workweek, so my energy is a little lower. Tomorrow is TGIF for me, yea!

Front squats

1x5@130
1x5@150
3x5@160

The 160 felt good and is up 10 lbs from last FS session.

SLDL

3x5@130

Was feeling a little tight so wanted to stretch things out a little. Not a big workset, but felt good to stretch.

Upright rows

3X5@110

Shoulder width grip, and shoulders back. Good work on the medial delt head, and a good pre-exhaust for presses.

Standing presses

3X5@110

Felt heavy from rows, but just got the last rep in.

Bench press

1x12@130 warmup
2x5@190
1x4@190

I might have been able to get that 5th rep. I was home alone and did not want to get stuck. Good sets though.

CGBP

3x5@90

Could do more weight, but have not done these in a long time. Wanted to use a lighter weight and feel the groove. Will do 110-120 next time.
Barbell curls

3X5@70

After all the other work this was feeling pretty heavy. Could do a bit more though. up the weight next time. I've curled more weight in the past, so it's just a matter of getting this move back in the roation.

Bent rows

5X burnout sets@70

Good finishing move with all the upper body work. Probably did 15 reps or more first set. Then gradual reduction. Really squeezed at the top, and worked the form.

Finished

1 hour 15 minutes.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #44
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great workout. And TGIT to you!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #45
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

I heard some people say that upright rows are useless. But I see you and MAB and others doing them. What do you think?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #46
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

depends on what your goal with them are. they are very productive for olympic style routines. On the other hand, there are a variety of exercises that hit the same muscles involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
I heard some people say that upright rows are useless. But I see you and MAB and others doing them. What do you think?
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #47
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
depends on what your goal with them are. they are very productive for olympic style routines. On the other hand, there are a variety of exercises that hit the same muscles involved
Exactly, and thats why I include them. I don't pull to my chin, I pull till my upper arms are parallel with the ground. Thats roughly about the bottom of my pecs, maybe a bit higher. I enjoy including oly lifting in my workouts.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #48
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I like them for delts and traps as opposed to doing lateral work. I HATE laterals! In fact, I hate most isolation work.

Never really did much of it at all, except maybe pec deck.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #49
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I like them for delts and traps as opposed to doing lateral work. I HATE laterals! In fact, I hate most isolation work.

Never really did much of it at all, except maybe pec deck.
With the height that I pull to, it hits my medial delt very nicely. If I pull all the way to the top I feel it more in my traps. I've also heard that pulling high puts a lot of stress on the RC.

During my warmup before a sesson I have been making it a habit to work my rear delts, and RC area. I have not had problems with this, and I don't want any.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Default Sep 30th

Same basic workout today with only a few variences in rep ranges on lighter sets. Was really looking forward to todays workout. I'm finding a pretty good groove and liking the progress. The variences in the work thus far, has given me a good plan to start a rep range increase in the worksets.
squats

2X8@130
1X8@150
2X6@180

Last sets were hard, because of the extra reps today, but felt good.
SLDL

3X8@130

The extra reps today felt good.
Bent rows

1X5@110 warmup
2X8@120
1X6@120
1X5@120

Really working on form, and pulling with the upper back. I was doing 130 last week, but this weight feels like I'm hitting the back better through better form. Slow and steady.
Upright rows

3X5@110

Shoulder width grip, shoulder blades pulled together tight, and pull to pecs. More of Delt move than a traps move. Will probably drop weight to 100lbs next session. Want a little better delt isolation
Standing Presses

1X6@110
2X5@110

Already a little tired from rows, but managed the weight. Total of 6 sets for the shoulders.
Bench press

1X8@130
1X8@160
1X5@190
1X3@190
1X5@190

Last two sets at 190 were a beotch! Going to stay at this weight, and work on increase of reps to 8 for worksets. I don't want my bench numbers to exceed my squat. Legs Legs Legs!!!!!!!! Priority!!!!!!

CGBP

1X8@110
1X6@130
1X5@130

I was feeling surprisingly strong on this move. We want triceps!!!!
Barbell curls

1X5@85
1X5@80
1X4@80

getting stronger here.

Finished

About an hour and 20 today. Took a little longer break between bodyparts to let energy come back.

Deads on Friday, in place of SLDL's.