Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Nice workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Clean pull deads

These are basically the first part of a clean going up on toes, and shrugging traps at the top. Good ab work with this move. Also get the benefit of a SLDL type move so hams are worked as well. Will do these as heavy as squat worksets. The cumulative effect of the two is great.

1X5@130
3X5@180
1X6@180
Interesting. Mental note made.
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Monday the 21st. Sept.

Feel a little tired today, but very motivated to hit it. Things are going to change up a little today.

Squats

1X8@130 warmup
1X5@160
3x5@190
1X7@190

190 was hard, but I was motivated to lift. I've got my fire back, and I want my old body back!! 300 for squats, keep pushin!!
================================================== ========

Bent rows

1x8@110 warmup
1x5@120
4X5@130

Felt good, just gotta make sure to get the shoulder blades together at the top. I thought I might do down in weight from last week, but dug in, and got the form I wanted.

Standing Presses

Weight cleaned

5X5@110

no push presses today, felt strong, and motivated.
Bench Presses

Whoa!....Why the angry mob?

Ok, here's the deal.

1. Last week I maxed out my dumbells for flyes. I built up some 50lb, but I only had 25lb plates, and they are a PIA to deal with.

2. I was thinking, I know first mistake. Anyway, As you notice I did my presses first. This pre exhausted my delts, and would bring my triceps into play a bit more.

3. Benching has been one move I can do well. So with my delts already worked from pressing, this is just driving home the work I want them to get.

4. It worked great, my delts were pumped bigtime, and my triceps as well.

4X5@180
1X4@180

Overall great workout. Done in just about an hour. Wednesday my normal workout partner is coming over. This should be brutal. We really push each other.

Last edited by glwanabe; 09-21-2009 at 04:25 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great plan Stan, and great workout. I couldn't stop staring at the image though.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Wed. Sept 23rd.

Pushed hard on squats on Monday. My left knee was feeling a bit weak yesterday, but felt better today. I'm going to switch my squat progression to a Madcow style progression. This will mean only one set at top weight, as opposed to three.

Everything else is feeling pretty good, and my upper body muscle memory is showing up.

Squats

1x5@90
1x5@120
1x5@140
1X5@160
1x5@180
Up 5lbs on Friday

Clean pull deads

5X5@130

Standing military press

weight cleaned

1x5@90
1X5@110
2X5@115
1X5@115 slight push press

5lb weight increase from last session on work sets.

Bench press

1X5@130
1X5@150
3X5@180

dips/chins supersetted@ BW.

3X6

Finished.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Pushed hard on squats on Monday. My left knee was feeling a bit weak yesterday, but felt better today. I'm going to switch my squat progression to a Madcow style progression. This will mean only one set at top weight, as opposed to three.

I don't know if you're like me, but as long as I get some relatively heavier sets in, I get good benefits. So a plan like Madcow works good for me.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
glwanabe
Max Brawn

I think the linear progression will work out ok. I have done that style in the past and made gains, but that was a long time ago. My legs felt good after the session. I think that as long as I continue to hit them 3Xweek I'll get the progress I want.

Given the oppurtunity to go back in time and not do the sport that I injured myself in, I'd still do it!

This is me in 1980 going last out the door of a DC-3 over Arlington Wash.
Good times!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

My legs pretty much respond to anything :

Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #28
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I think the madcow bit is a good plan too. There's plenty of volume (figuring in the warmup sets) to compensate for the lack of sets across.. It is easier to sustain a progression that way, and it is less taxing psychologically. Much easier for me to focus on one big set instead of three or five. Are you planning on a heavy/light/medium routine? That worked best for me. That way you only have to tackle your target weight once per week.

Skydiving. I guess we know who has nads around here.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I think the madcow bit is a good plan too. There's plenty of volume (figuring in the warmup sets) to compensate for the lack of sets across.. It is easier to sustain a progression that way, and it is less taxing psychologically. Much easier for me to focus on one big set instead of three or five. Are you planning on a heavy/light/medium routine? That worked best for me. That way you only have to tackle your target weight once per week.

Why, yes i was. I'm thinking back squats on Mondays, Overheads on Wednesdays, and fronts squats on Fridays.

I want to pair up the squats with the appropriate back work as well.

Back squats followed by bent rows
Overheads followed by deads
Fronts followed by cleans or cleans pulls

While I've only been keeping track of things here for a short time. I've been doing lots of this work over the last several months. The big difference now is that I'm really pushing to increase the weight.

Last edited by glwanabe; 09-23-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Nice Log

The Madcow approach is very effective. I have and still will use that approach on certain exercises.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote