Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #111
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Ordered Steve Reeves book, and it shipped yesterday. I won't have a lot of time to really get into it till I finish up these work projects I'm on right now.

My whole basic program is his beginners routine, as far as the movements. I've made a few changes based on my own areas that I want to emphasize, namely legs. With the switch to a 3x10 set/rep, it really is his beginners routine.

His intermediate routine incorportates a couple of small changes in movements, but the major difference is the set/reps. His intermediate routine runs a 3x8-12 set rep scheme.

I'll be interested to compare this book, with the York barbell courses on the front site. Digging into the old barbell courses has proven to be a bit addictive.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #112
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

I'll be interested to compare this book, with the York barbell courses on the front site. Digging into the old barbell courses has proven to be a bit addictive.
Let me know what you think. When I get the time, I want to collect every old routine I can and add it to the site. I am completely addicted myself!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #113
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Will do!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #114
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Default Thursday Oct. 22nd

Feeling a little tired, but motivated to work. Took in a lot of extra calories the last couple of days. I'm tired of eating at this point. I had to force myself to have my 4 eggs at breakfast this morning, but I did it. Sometimes I feel like eating is the hardest part of this process.

Really wnat to get heavier deads back into the rotation. Will see how things feel Saturday, and may put some in then.
================================================== ========
Squats

1x10@50
1x10@130
2x10@180

Still feeling that strain spot, but leaning forward ever so slightly in the squat, and not going all the way ATG, alleviates most of the problem. Still making sure that my ass goes below my knees though. Legs are showing the work.
RDL

1x10@130

These felt a bit better today, as compared to last time.
bent row

3x10@135

rest pause on the last two reps. The RDL's took a little bit of my energy for these so they felt heavier.
standing press

1x12@110
1x8@110
1x2@110

Went to 12 reps on the first set. That really made the other two sets hard. I liked it. Delts are really starting to show the work.
Bench

2x10@160
1x8@160

Got an extra rep on the last set, as compared to last time. Not really seeing any lack of chest growth with having delts before chest.
Dips

1x12 BW
1x8
1x6

wide chins

2x6
1x5

Calf raise

1x20@200

Toes on a 2x4, barbell on shoulders as for squats. Standing right in the squat stands, and do the raises. Need to consistantly hit calves with this.

Finished.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #115
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You stick with standard deadlifts, or play with sumos?

Great workout. Keep hitting it hard!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #116
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
You stick with standard deadlifts, or play with sumos?
I have not yet done any Sumo deads, but you have me interested in them.

When I put them in the rotation I'd probably pair them with front squats.

I've been alternating presses, with upright rows, and I had wanted to alternate squats, with deads, I'll be alternating chins, and dips, for CGBP, and BB curls. Not in to big a rush yet, but I also need to work in some forearm wrist curls, in the future. I'm trying to keep sessions to 8 moves, with 10 as a max.

The Steve Reeves book showed up yesterday. It seems interesting, and has lots of good pictures. Not a groundbreaking tome on weightlifting, but looks like it will be an interesting read.

I ordered it from the Steve Reeves website, and it was only 24.95 plus shipping. Thats the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #117
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I like alternating deads with squats, but the sumos put a monkey in that wrench.

Too bad the Reeves book isn't better. But then again, so many books are blah to me. I want to get the Doug Hepburn book soon.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #118
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

You ever do plan holds or bar holds for forearm strength?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #119
glwanabe
Max Brawn

When I was doing the stricly gymnastic stuff, I was heavily into static holds. They frigging work well!!

I have not done them strictly for forearms though. My forearms are growing from all of the work I'm doing. Thats why I'm not in a hurry to throw more at them. When the deads come back they'll grow!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #120
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Too bad the Reeves book isn't better. But then again, so many books are blah to me. I want to get the Doug Hepburn book soon.
Caseys articles are far better than this book, but it's still nice to read the mans words and thoughts.