BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

7/28/11
Squat 105,130,158,158x5
Standing OHP 65,75,90,100x5
Deads 205,245,285x5, 320x4
Decline bench crunches bwx15,15,9

Overall Workout grade: B+
Notes:
I'm still experiencing that groin/adductor pain on both sides. I have been focusing more on doing "butterfly" stretches(i'll try to find the real name) and they seem to be helping. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't some sort of tendon that is giving me trouble. After some stretching, the last 2 sets were rather discomfort free. Any advice or insight on this would be appreciated.

OHP is a fun movement. It was nice to deload and really focus on form.

Deads felt good. Except for the fact that I forgot to bring my straps to the gym. Usually I only use them on the last set. Usually I do overhand grip on the first 2 sets, over/under on the 3rd and straps on the 4th. Well without the straps I was unable to finish my last set. I hate to admit this, to everyone, but this reveals a weakness in my grip. I think I am going to put more focus at least one day, maybe sunday or monday, to do some grip accessory work.

Overall, I am enjoying going back to a more simple routine. Simple is good, simple is effective.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #12
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

With the heavy deads. I used to use straps all the time and my grip sucked. Although it isnt my strongest point now i tend to work it now untill it fails (even if that is mid rep/mid set) then use straps if i have any sets/reps left. Just doing this increased my grip strength considerably quite quickly

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
With the heavy deads. I used to use straps all the time and my grip sucked. Although it isnt my strongest point now i tend to work it now untill it fails (even if that is mid rep/mid set) then use straps if i have any sets/reps left. Just doing this increased my grip strength considerably quite quickly

Carl.
That is a really good idea. Thanks Carl. I will have to give that a shot.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Szelago
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Simple is good, simple is effective.
Words to live by.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Nice to see more and more of us enjoying OHP work

I'm just going to be doing what Carl said WRT grip. With my tremors, I never know when my grip will fail. Since I am just starting doing my deads strapless, LtL was also quite confident my grip will improve. However, I am still picturing you doing farmers' walks around your gym.

My next door neighbors' b/f is a powerlifter. I often saw him doing farmers' walks up and down the back alley with one of those big 22 liter water bottles (full) in each hand.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I love this workout, looks great! Looking forward to seeing the results!!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Nice intro.

As for the groin/adductor pain, my experience has been that stretching, etc. has not worked for me. However, stretching seemed to work for you for those last sets. So why the question? What else is going on?

In my experience, those small muscles just need rest so they can regroup for the future. Try doing all your squat/deadlift/etc. motions tighter and lighter, with knees sorta in and see if that doesn't help. Then gradually add weight and push the knees out to get back to normal.

Just a thought. Rock on. You are a beast. It's amusing for me to see your deload squats and deadlifts are all something I can do, but your deload bench is repping at a lot more than my 1rep max!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szelago View Post
Words to live by.
Indeed, sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Nice to see more and more of us enjoying OHP work

I'm just going to be doing what Carl said WRT grip. With my tremors, I never know when my grip will fail. Since I am just starting doing my deads strapless, LtL was also quite confident my grip will improve. However, I am still picturing you doing farmers' walks around your gym.

My next door neighbors' b/f is a powerlifter. I often saw him doing farmers' walks up and down the back alley with one of those big 22 liter water bottles (full) in each hand.
Thanks squatter. After you suggesting farmers walks to me, more than once, I have actually been thinking about them more and more. I actually meant to do some after todays workout, but I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
I love this workout, looks great! Looking forward to seeing the results!!
Thanks Spart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Nice intro.

As for the groin/adductor pain, my experience has been that stretching, etc. has not worked for me. However, stretching seemed to work for you for those last sets. So why the question? What else is going on?

In my experience, those small muscles just need rest so they can regroup for the future. Try doing all your squat/deadlift/etc. motions tighter and lighter, with knees sorta in and see if that doesn't help. Then gradually add weight and push the knees out to get back to normal.

Just a thought. Rock on. You are a beast. It's amusing for me to see your deload squats and deadlifts are all something I can do, but your deload bench is repping at a lot more than my 1rep max!
Glad you liked the intro mike.
You know, in my last log when i was having the groin pain, more than one person suggested stretching. And to be honest, I kind of blew them off because I thought I just needed some time off.
However, having actually started stretching the area regularly and before squating, it seems to have made a difference. I'm hoping for know that this will continue to be a solution.
About my bench, I've never thought of myself as a 'big' bencher, but I guess my bench is solid. I have a big upper body, so I think that helps me. Still though, in my mind my bench press isn't that impressive. I guess I should give myself a bit of credit. Thanks for the compliment and support!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 7/30/11

Squat 105,135,155,184x5; 215x3; 155x8
Bench press 120,150,180,210x5; 245x3; 180x8
Pendlay Row 85,105,125,145x5; 170x3; 125x8
Parallel bar dips bwx8,8,8
BB curls 60x8,8,8
Lying tricep ext. 75x8,8,8

Overall Workout Grade: B+
Notes:
This was a great workout. I left feeling very good about it. I feel very good about the Madcow Protocol.

I really stretched my groin before squatting and after the first couple sets. It seemed to have a big impact. I'm hoping this is all I need to do in order to continue squating successfully. When I initially had this issue, in my last log, a few guys suggested stretches. I didn't really think that was a solution, but know I think otherwise.

Bench felt good.

Rows felt good.

I hadn't done dips in some time. I wasn't real sure how it was going to go. They seemed to feel fine, I hit all 3 sets relatively easy. Know the question is do I add 2.5, 5, or 10 pounds for next week.

Curls felt good. I did them on an actual oly barbell. It felt weird only having a 5 and 2.5 on each side. And just so everyone knows, I did not do them in the squat rack.

Lying tricep extensions felt good. I did them different than I had been. Usually I do the "skullcrusher" variety where you keep the 'upper' portion of the arms in place, 90 degrees, elbows pointed at the ceiling, and bring the weight down to my fore head.
For this routine, I will and did do them with should movement so the bar come to the top of my head. Rippetoe recently posted a video on his website demonstrating this variation.

All in all a good workout. If it wasn't for the fact this is a deload and all my numbers are down because of this, it would easily have qualified as an A. But until I see some progression from where I was, I cannot give a workout an A.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Solid work Josh. Glad everything felt 'good' lol - when everything feels good, people all too often take it for granted

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet