Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How'd you get involved with strength training so early instead of going the bodybuilding route like most of the younger crowd? It's rare to find a lifter in their mid-20's who isn't into Weider-type programs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
HumanHorrorFilm
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Good fn log man, i started texas method about a month ago, loving the shit out of it. Keep up the good work.

Noticed you are not benching/deadlifting, any particular reason?
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Hehe, right?

When I very first started, I lifted in the garage with some rusty standard plates and had no idea which lift did what. I'd "invent" lifts and because I didn't actually know what most of the lifts did, i thought it would only make sense to chase numbers... or at least try to. Routines were also full body because I didn't know of anything else and besides, didn't know of enough movements to even be able to plan a split.

No outside influence either. In my "developing" years, I had only lifted in the garage and always alone - it was my time and didn't want to be bothered. No cousin, friend or training partner telling me what was "best." Spun my wheels for a long.. eh, really long time, formed my own opinions and went on from there.

Still a long ways to go.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #24
Pull14
Max Brawn

Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanHorrorFilm View Post
Good fn log man, i started texas method about a month ago, loving the shit out of it. Keep up the good work.

Noticed you are not benching/deadlifting, any particular reason?
Thank you, sir.

As for no benching: I hate it. And it beats up my already messed up shoulder to much. Since I'll be dropping the weighted dips, I'll probably be replacing them with a DB floor press or possibly DB incline presses depending on feel --- but thats the closest I'm going to an actual bench press.

Deadlifting does occur, but not very much. I have always been much stronger in the deadlift and it goes up with little direct work. My squat has great carry over to the deadlift, but my deadlift has little carry over to the squat and if trained to often, destroyes my squat numbers. Less time deadlifting, easier recovery, more time for other lifts... deadlift goes up. If only my other lifts did that.

Last edited by Pull14; 07-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
HumanHorrorFilm
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60 Points: 8,049, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Thank you, sir.

As for no benching: I hate it. And it beats up already messed up shoulder to much. Since I'll be dropping the weighted dips, I'll probably be replacing them with a DB floor press or possibly DB incline presses depending on feel --- but thats the closest I'm going to an actual bench press.

Deadlifting does occur, but not very much. I have always been much stronger in the deadlift and it goes up with little direct work. Squat frequency and my closer stance seems to help as well. My last deadlift was a few weeks ago - first time deadlifting in nearly 2 1/2 months and I set a rep PR after maxing out my squat and press. I wish my other lifts did that.
Solid logic. And you'll never find me arguing with anyone who hates the bench...i just suck so terribly at it, i find the need to beat the shit out of it. It's an interesting idea to avoid deadlifting to get better at it, hammering the upper back with rows/PC's. I've actually never stopped deadlifting, might be something to look into at some point.

Definitely going to keep an eye on this log.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Pull14
Max Brawn

My dead does move up faster when its trained more frequently but this is at the expense of my squat and also requires more diligence in the recovery department. I like the squat to much to hurt it like that. Instead of deadlifting on a weekly basis I spread a bit of hamstring and lowerback volume throughout the week (ham raises, good mornings, cleans) and squatting 3 days a week takes care of the rest.

Glad your enjoying the log.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Loved the story Pull, thats a great approach!

Also HUGE numbers!!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Great stuff in here Pull.. really insightful

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Hehe, right?

When I very first started, I lifted in the garage with some rusty standard plates and had no idea which lift did what. I'd "invent" lifts and because I didn't actually know what most of the lifts did, i thought it would only make sense to chase numbers... or at least try to. Routines were also full body because I didn't know of anything else and besides, didn't know of enough movements to even be able to plan a split.

No outside influence either. In my "developing" years, I had only lifted in the garage and always alone - it was my time and didn't want to be bothered. No cousin, friend or training partner telling me what was "best." Spun my wheels for a long.. eh, really long time, formed my own opinions and went on from there.

Still a long ways to go.
It's amazing how much great progress comes from stories like this.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
Pull14
Max Brawn

Thanks guys.

7 - 14 - 11 --- Recovery
Front Squat 3x3x250
Press 3x5x150
Pull Ups 3x6x60, 2x9x20
*Good Morning/Band Pull Apart/Curls

Front squats felt awesome. Nice explosive finish with the bar flying a few inches off the shoulders each rep. Presses and pulls ups were a little sluggish. I suspect the high pulls two days ago may have been the cause, as my traps, shoulders, and biceps are still sore as hell. Either way, everything accomplished. Finished the session off with good mornings for 3x10x150, a bunch of barbell curls, and band pull aparts with the EFS pro mini.

Shoulders and knees feeling healthy!