Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Great work Spart

Once again, BtB and Faz show why this was a good forum to join
Whether you are training for powerlifting or bodybuilding, it's the same as in general life. You do your research, realise that others know 10000 times more than you do about the subject, keep your mouth closed and listen to what they are saying. It will get us a long way.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #272
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Thanks guys!! You are all LEGENDS!!

Thursday was Deadlifts, though I left my log at home, but I knew what my working sets were, I just didnt know how I was working up to them for singles, so I just did what felt natural.

Deadlift Day
Deadlift
Dont remember warmups, but I did about 5 sets progressivly adding weight.
150kgx1
150kgx1
150kgx1
150kgx1
150kgx1

I added 10kg, 140kg felt pretty light, next week I will just add 5kg. These felt good, hip position was a lot better.

Deadlift Partials - These were pulled from 1-2" below knee

160kgx3
170kgx3
180kgx3

I didnt really know what weights to use as this was the first time I have done them, so I did some playing around. I think 160kg will be a good place to start. The 170kg and 180kg were a little messy, with some back rounding, especially on 180kg set.

I really felt these the next day in my lower back, not a bad pain, but I havent felt my lower back get a workout like that before.

Situps
15kgx3x8

Friday was Press Day

Press Day
Barxlots
30kgx5
35kgx3
42.5kgx2
52.5kgx1
60kgx1
72.5kgx1
72.5kgx1
72.5kgx1
72.5kgx1
72.5kgx1

These felt great, I love overhead press. Added 2.5kg from last week.

Press
55kgx3x5
55kgx4
55kgx4

The last 2 sets I only made 4 reps, both times tried the 5th but failed half way through. I added 2.5kg from last week, next week, I will go for 5x5 at 55kg.

Chins (Bodyweight)

These were disappointing, no progressing from last week, only made the same as last week.

Curls
17.5kgx8
17.5kgx8
17.5kgx7

Then I did some RC work, going to start doing this on bench and press day.

On a side note, I am feeling a lot of DOMS in my abbs from that overhead pressing which is interesting, 2nd week in a row I have felt it from them.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #273
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Awesome work Spart ans some fantastic posts but Fazc and Steve (surprise, surprise )... that 3pps squat isnt far away mate... not far at all

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #274
Spartigus
Max Brawn

Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Also with Deadlift day, I am thinking of putting in maybe 3x5 hi-pulls in, but pulling from the hanging position, so the bar is a little above the knees. Mainly to focus on the traps and upper back and also because I really like them . This will hopefully put a lot of stress on the traps and upper back, and not stress the lower back too much. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Awesome work Spart ans some fantastic posts but Fazc and Steve (surprise, surprise )... that 3pps squat isnt far away mate... not far at all

Carl.
Thanks Carl!!!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #275
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Fantastic work!

About the High Pulls, sure try them if you like. However bear in mind this is an awful lot of work already, your main focus is to get stronger in the big 4 lifts. That will happen with the sheer amount of volume you're doing with them.

As we discussed; assistance exercises will eventually be worked in to replace work on the main exercises as and when you get too strong to recover from so much work on the big lifts. I'd rather see you rotate them in as the back off work. So your rotation would now look like this:

Week 1 DL Assistance: Partials
Week 2 DL Assistance: High Pulls
Week 3 DL Assistance: Deficits

If not, and you're deadset on doing them every week then just be wary of the additional stress they will impose on you. That may well push you over to "too much".
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #276
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

great post Fazc, again (its kinda getting boring, cant you post some rubbish for a change )....

You DONT need to work harder than you already are Spart, just a bit smarter. You know as well as me that more work wont necessarily mean better results, but smarter work will, and with Fazc in your corner you are definitely getting smarter work mate.

I think DL and rotating the assistance is a fantastic idea. High pulls definitely for the power (id still do them from the floor though, but thats just me) and deficits for strength off the floor, with partials for lock out strength thats a pretty solid routine right there....

Looking good Spart

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #277
Spartigus
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Fantastic work!

About the High Pulls, sure try them if you like. However bear in mind this is an awful lot of work already, your main focus is to get stronger in the big 4 lifts. That will happen with the sheer amount of volume you're doing with them.

As we discussed; assistance exercises will eventually be worked in to replace work on the main exercises as and when you get too strong to recover from so much work on the big lifts. I'd rather see you rotate them in as the back off work. So your rotation would now look like this:

Week 1 DL Assistance: Partials
Week 2 DL Assistance: High Pulls
Week 3 DL Assistance: Deficits

If not, and you're deadset on doing them every week then just be wary of the additional stress they will impose on you. That may well push you over to "too much".
Great help as always!! I wont put them in until I know I need them.

I dont have any way to do deficit pulls at my gym, unless I use an aerobic step, and I dont know if I trust the ones at gym. I was going to alternate the 5x5 deadlifts and partial deadlifts each week? Instead of partials I could do snatch grip deadlifts? Or will the 5x5/partial deadlifts be enough.

I think I will feel it more as the weight gets heavier, I need to remember in 2 months, the weights will be heavier and thats what I am working for.

EDIT:
Thinking about it, I might be able to make a plan to do the deficit deadlifts, how low should I be pulling from?

So it would be better to alternate partials and deficits then and not do the 5x5 deadlifts?

Last edited by Spartigus; 09-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #278
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks like you're tearing it up Spart. Great work.

Quote:
On a side note, I am feeling a lot of DOMS in my abbs from that overhead pressing which is interesting, 2nd week in a row I have felt it from them.
That's good. Building strength. I get abs soreness from tricep extensions. It doesn't take much for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #279
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
So it would be better to alternate partials and deficits then and not do the 5x5 deadlifts?
It's always preferable to do the main lift as back off work.

I just assumed you were doing partials/deficits as back off work based on you doing partials this last session. Wrong assumption by me.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Routine 1 : Firstly this week-in-week-out

Deadlifts 5 x 1
Deadlifts 5 x 5
Ab work

Do that untill the 5x5 is proving to be too stressful, or the thought of even more Deadlifts after your main work makes you sick then switch down to:

Routine 2 : When the Deadlift main sets are starting to get too tiring to do even more Deads as back off work

Deadlifts 5 x 1
Partials alternated with either High Pulls and/or Deficits 5 x 5
Ab work

Routine 3 : Eventually you'll be so strong, even that will be too much and you will need more variety

Deadlifts 3 to 10 singles
Partials/Deficits/High Pulls Work up to 1 top set of 3-5 reps
Shrugs 5 x 5
Ab work

Etc etc.

Can you see the pattern? Work the main lift and just attack it with so much volume that you become exceptionally proficient at it. At that point, lower the volume and add it elsewhere. When that second exercise becomes too strong, then again lower the volume and add in additional exercise for 5 x 5 again. And so on, and so on.

For me, that is the correct way to add in assistance work.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #280
Spartigus
Max Brawn

That makes a lot of sense Fazc, thank you soo much! I really like the logical and focused way you set out these routines, they really seem to click in my mind.

At the moment I love the idea of 5x5 deadlifts and I still need a lot more strength, so Routine 1 sounds perfect. You gave me a great set of progressive routines that will last a long time. Thank you!