Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good workout Big Val. Back day can sometimes be the same for me. Many times back day feels like I'm just putting in my reps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #32
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Back day can sometimes be the same for me. Many times back day feels like I'm just putting in my reps.
How to fix that though. It's not like I can see any development (except the lats from the front). I have to rely on feed back from my wife who, I'm sorry, can't be objective, wouldn't know a good back, and wouldn't be critical if she DID know what to look for. I'm going to have to experiment a bit to find some exercises that I can feel. Those crossover rows could work. I'm also going to try some reverse pec deck exercises. I've done reverse pec deck before, but was hoping to wait a while before I had to break it out again.

Thanks for the input.

big val
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
How to fix that though. It's not like I can see any development (except the lats from the front). I have to rely on feed back from my wife who, I'm sorry, can't be objective, wouldn't know a good back, and wouldn't be critical if she DID know what to look for. I'm going to have to experiment a bit to find some exercises that I can feel. Those crossover rows could work. I'm also going to try some reverse pec deck exercises. I've done reverse pec deck before, but was hoping to wait a while before I had to break it out again.

Thanks for the input.

big val
Well, I use certain techniques that draw out the feel of back work. I pulled many of these tips from Dorian Yates.

This is what I do...

First, I begin a "pulling exercise" with the lats. I move the lat back first, focusing on contracting them together.

Second, I finish the concentric aspect of the lift by focusing on pulling the elbows back.

...so it's lats back, elbows back, for me.

Lastly, I hold the weight at contraction for a split second. Not for seconds...just a split second. If I can't hold the weight at contraction, I'm using too much weight.

It has taken me years to master the feel of back exercises. but now that I can use a good technique with heavy weight, I feel my back workouts are very good.

I also do deadlift singles to lead off my back workouts About 8-10 singles at 70-75% 1RM.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #34
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

its all about the squeeze with the elbows to get the most muscle recruitment in the back whether a row or a pulldown
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #35
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Thanks fellas. I will think on those things.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #36
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I hit the gym right after work again today. I hate it, but my wife had business away from home tonight, and I had to mind the store this evening.

Thursday, 9/10/09

Shoulders and Tri's

Work sets. Duration: about 25 minutes.

Cybex Shoulder Press (140x6/1)

Wide Grip Upright Row (75x6/2/2) - I vary the grip width on these. Today I tried pinky on the ring.

Barbell Front Raise (40x7/3)

no dc shoulder stretch today. There wasn't a station available. I usually use the Smith, or squat rack. Both were in use.

Dips (BW) x 8/2 - Almost ashamed to put this one up, but that's where I am today. I'll put a couple of platemates in my pocket next time, and work it up slowly.

Flat Bench Skull Crusher (70x4/1) - I'm going to need a partner/spotter soon. I wussed out for fear of well, crushing my skull.

Wide Grip Pushdowns (110x4/1) - Another exercise where I vary my grip. I couldn't find my usual wide grip attachment, so I used a slightly narrower than shoulder width grip.

dc tricep stretches 30# about 30 seconds (I'd like to work all my stretches up to the 60 - 90 second range).

This was the first time in quite a while that I walked out of the gym feeling like I had taken a step backwards. When I got home, I checked my previous notes and found the while I didn't beat the book on a couple of exercises (shoulder presses and pushdowns), I soared on all the rest. It really is the first time on this program that I've bombed a lift on a workout. Nothing some extra food and sleep won't cure.

big val
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #37
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have workouts like that occasionally. Usually I bounce back.

What are your thoughts on the DC style stretching? Like it? Hate it? Learning to like it?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #38
Smirkules
Brawn
Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smirkules is new to the forumSmirkules is new to the forum

A bad workout's better then no workout!
Smirkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #39
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
I have workouts like that occasionally. Usually I bounce back.
Like I said, first one in a long time.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the DC style stretching? Like it? Hate it? Learning to like it?
I'm liking it. I've read too much "science" to ignore it. I'm sure you've seen the animal studies on stretching and hyperplasia. I want to try it for a while and see. I do think it helps with DOMS. I can't quite figure out the extreme stretching of the quads though. And the adductors. That's part of what makes the leg day aftermath so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkules View Post
A bad workout's better then no workout!
Right on, brother. It only "seemed" bad based on two exercises where I didn't beat the log book. Upon reviewing my notes though, the rest of the workout was above and beyond. Thanks for the comment.

Well, I'd hoped to get some cardio in today (lawn mowing), but after my grueling 16 1/2 hour work week, I'm completely bagged. We'll see how I feel later. Got a band gig tomorrow night. I had thoughts of doing legs in the early afternoon, but maybe it can wait until Sunday.

big val
Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #40
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

HA! That made me laugh. 16 hour work week lmao.

I wish I had one of those. Great job BV.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote