Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Is it true that, if a male spends his life up to, say, his early thirties NOT training or doing any kind of rigorous physical activity, that in terms of their total muscular development they are selling themselves short;

What I mean is, if these people start mass building and/or strength training in later life, they will not be able to attain as great a physique as they could have if they'd done some regular physical activity in their developmental years (say 12 - 25)?

Your thoughts.
No. Not true. You could still develop an excellent physique by natural standards.

The term "great" has to come with a caveat. Truth is most folks never come close to their genetic potential, even natty bodybuilders. Most get 10-15 pounds away tops. So most folks who start training late can get to about where they would have been at an earlier age. Very, very few bodybuilders get to the great "great" level, and that's probably all luck of genetics.

I have done several interviews with guys that started lifting in their late 50's and made amazing progress. If someone is training right, they will gain at any age. I can't say that they could start training at 50 and hit their genetic ceiling, but there is no reason why they couldn't build a great natural physique.

Check out my interview with Errol Hannigan:

Interview With Captain Ahab Errol Hannigan | Muscle & Strength

With the right effort all things are possible.

Check out all the Body for Life transformations over the years:

http://bodyforlife.com/success-stories/#pg-1

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Is there anything you DONT know Steve... awesome buddy

carl.
Thanks Carl but there's a lot I don't know or care about. Just ask Eknight.

Working in the industry I discuss and read this stuff 10-12 hours a day. It's knowledge by volume.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
No. Not true. You could still develop an excellent physique by natural standards.

The term "great" has to come with a caveat. Truth is most folks never come close to their genetic potential, even natty bodybuilders. Most get 10-15 pounds away tops. So most folks who start training late can get to about where they would have been at an earlier age. Very, very few bodybuilders get to the great "great" level, and that's probably all luck of genetics.

I have done several interviews with guys that started lifting in their late 50's and made amazing progress. If someone is training right, they will gain at any age. I can't say that they could start training at 50 and hit their genetic ceiling, but there is no reason why they couldn't build a great natural physique.

Check out my interview with Errol Hannigan:

Interview With Captain Ahab Errol Hannigan | Muscle & Strength

With the right effort all things are possible.

Check out all the Body for Life transformations over the years:

Body-for-LIFE Success Stories
Great post Steve.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
In honour of my spot - Jared - who has aggravated an old snowboarding injury and cannot train for about 3 months.

Jared is actually really clued up on most everything that can be considered both technological and man-related (like fast cars and loud home cinemas), so he doesn't often ask what might be considered a dumb question.

This is not a question from Jared, but something I remember being told many years ago, by a guy not much older than me at the time, but who had clearly been training hard for over a year.

Is it true that, if a male spends his life up to, say, his early thirties NOT training or doing any kind of rigorous physical activity, that in terms of their total muscular development they are selling themselves short;

What I mean is, if these people start mass building and/or strength training in later life, they will not be able to attain as great a physique as they could have if they'd done some regular physical activity in their developmental years (say 12 - 25)?

Your thoughts.
I am 36 and did NO physical activity untill about 4 years ago (other than a bit of soccer as a kid). I have crappy genetics, gain fat easy, dont gain muscle easily, have NO natural strength or muscle definition or muscularity in general (except i have always had largisg thighs). I have no arm mass at all, I could feel my ribs through my pecs and had no chest development at all, no back, lats, forearms etc etc... i am not huge, but i am doing OK.

I was told the same thing, loads of times by loads of different people (including a Doctor) that after the age 30 you start losing muscle mass so all training wil do is maintain what you naturally have... its rubbish. With the right desire, diet, program, determination and most importantly consistency i think anyone can build a good physique. Maybe not as quickly, leanly, easily or quite as successfully as a testosterone filled 18 year old, but you can get there in the end. Even if starting late means you miss you genetic potential by 10-15lbs, with a 10% bf you are still gonna look awesome and be above average in any gym that you go to.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I am 36 and did NO physical activity untill about 4 years ago (other than a bit of soccer as a kid). I have crappy genetics, gain fat easy, dont gain muscle easily, have NO natural strength or muscle definition or muscularity in general (except i have always had largisg thighs). I have no arm mass at all, I could feel my ribs through my pecs and had no chest development at all, no back, lats, forearms etc etc... i am not huge, but i am doing OK.

I was told the same thing, loads of times by loads of different people (including a Doctor) that after the age 30 you start losing muscle mass so all training wil do is maintain what you naturally have... its rubbish. With the right desire, diet, program, determination and most importantly consistency i think anyone can build a good physique. Maybe not as quickly, leanly, easily or quite as successfully as a testosterone filled 18 year old, but you can get there in the end. Even if starting late means you miss you genetic potential by 10-15lbs, with a 10% bf you are still gonna look awesome and be above average in any gym that you go to.

Carl.
OMG, that bit I put in bold is a serious shock to me. I didn't know that was possible.

You're old avi from the other site was of an impressive specimen, Carlson. You have a lot to be proud of clearly.

Thanks for the contribution.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
OMG, that bit I put in bold is a serious shock to me. I didn't know that was possible.

You're old avi from the other site was of an impressive specimen, Carlson. You have a lot to be proud of clearly.

Thanks for the contribution.
Yes mate, i seriously had NO CHEST at all mate. I wasnt even skinny at the time, i just had no muscle there. i had a fat gut (39" waist at 5'6") and no fat really anywhere else, pipecleaner arms and a flatter, less definied chest, shoulders, back and muscles in general than most 10 year old boys... ill try to find a picture, but i seriously had no shape whatsoever and i was as unfit as they come. i couldnt run for 5 mins without stopping for a walk, at the time of that old avi I ran a half marathon in 1 hour 49mins... not the fastest in the world, but for an asthmatic, genetic loser, not bad at all

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote