Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor
Default My quest to nail a clean snatch!

Hey all!!

Im going to have my first attempt at making my own routine. I love doing the Oly lifts (Snatch and Clean and Jerk) and I love doing squats, bench, deadlift and overhead press. So this is my attempt to combine them!

I have taken my influence from the book "Weightlifting, Olympic Style" by Tommy Kono, glwanabe and the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (the 3x5 routine). As well as looking at everyones logs on MAB.

I have been testing and tweaking this routine for close to a month now, making changes here and there. I think I am happy with it so far .

So far I have made some pretty good progression, I also started light because its a new routine and I had a hip flexor injury. Also doing clean and jerk and snatches were new, so I didnt think it was smart to start too heavy. Even though I started light, I have noticed considerable size gains on my legs, shoulders and upper back.

If anyone has any comments or anything like that, I will be more than happy to hear them . I have never made a routine before so its all new to me .

Here is the routine:-

Warmup (Done every lifting day at the start)
Warmup the knees, hips and ankles
Warmup shoulders using a dowel rod performing rotations from front to back in the snatch grip. I started with a wide grip, making it more and more narrow as my shoulders get more flexible. (I can go into more detail on the stretch if you want, I just dont know the technical name for it).
Overhead squats with the dowel rod, focusing on keeping a strong arch in my back all the way down, going into a complete deep squat

Monday
Warmup Sets
Overhead Squat bar 2x3 (in a snatch grip)
Snatch 3x3 (no hook grip and working my way up over the 3 sets to around 15% less than working weight)
Working Sets
Snatch 3x3 (hook grip with working weight. Normally all sets are with the same weight, but if I can progress more than planned I do)

Warmup Sets
Powerclean/Front Sqaut/Jerk 1x3 (no hook grip 30% of working weight)
Clean 2x2 (no hook grip each set is 2 cleans and 2 jerks)

Working Sets
Clean 5x1 (hook grip, the 1 rep is 2 cleans and 1 jerk)

High Pulls (clean grip)
3x3 (hook grip, ideally should be around 95%ww of clean and jerk, but Im still developing my clean and jerk so at the moment I can high pull more than my clean and jerk)

Front Squat
3x3 (clean grip, completely down to full deep squat)

Bench
3x5

Wednesday
Squat 3x5 (powerlifting stance)

Overhead Press 3x5

Deadlift 1x5 (working up to a top set of 5 reps)

Rows 3x5

Friday
Warmup Sets
Overhead Squat bar 2x3 (in a snatch grip)
Snatch 3x3 (no hook grip and working my way up over the 3 sets to around 15% less than working weight)
Working Sets
Snatch 3x3 (hook grip with working weight. Normally all sets are with the same weight, but if I can progress more than planned I do)

Warmup Sets
Powerclean/Front Sqaut/Jerk 1x3 (no hook grip 30% of working weight)
Clean 2x2 (no hook grip each set is 2 cleans and 2 jerks)

Working Sets
Clean 5x1 (hook grip, the 1 rep is 2 cleans and 1 jerk)

High Pulls (snatch grip)
3x3 (hook grip, ideally should be around 95%ww of snatch, but Im still developing my snatch so at the moment I can high pull more than my snatch)

Front Squat
3x3 (clean grip, completely down to full deep squat)

Bench
3x5

As I get through the routine, I will see how the volume feels. But at the moment I have been progressing on all my lifts.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links