Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #921
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sorry to hear about your problems Jim but make sure to only change one variable at a time. Otherwise you have no idea what is working and what isn't. So drop the med's and keep cardio and cal's the same for a while and see if that makes any difference or keep the med's and drop cal's. Not both.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #922
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems Jim but make sure to only change one variable at a time. Otherwise you have no idea what is working and what isn't. So drop the med's and keep cardio and cal's the same for a while and see if that makes any difference or keep the med's and drop cal's. Not both.

LtL
Good point Al. However, the meds take about 2 weeks to get out of my system. This week, I have halved the dose as I am supposed to wean off of them. This is why I have cut cals. I'm going to monitor everything, including BP, very closely. My appointment is on Monday.

Not sure what will happen with raw lifting tho. I have already felt my tremors getting worse. It was nice to have less tremors for sure, but I have to shed some of my fat. I'm just not happy carrying all this extra weight anymore.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #923
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I have decided to go off the meds since I can't take it anymore. It's virtually impossible for me to lose weight unless I do 70-80K of cardio per week.

I have made some other adjustments as well. I have cut calories by about 400 per day and drastically reduced sodium intake. I also made an appointment with my Doc to discuss my problem. Hopefully she can find a med for my high blood pressure that will not affect my metabolism. High blood pressure is also another bitter pill for me to swallow. I do all the right things to avoid it. I shouldn't have it. When I was in my mid to late 30's, which was my most unhealthiest time of my life, my blood pressure was normal. Now that I look after myself, it's high.
I feel for you with the meds, I'm having issues myself with a new med (at least, I hope it's the med) which I have got to get sorted out.

Seems quite a few people when they tidy up their diet end up with worse blood pressure, cholesterol and such; not everyone but quite a number of people. And, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Hope you get it sorted. Awesome work, nevertheless
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #924
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
My tremor meds have pretty much extinguished my metabolism to nothing, essentially making me a hardloser. I have decided to go off the meds since I can't take it anymore. It's virtually impossible for me to lose weight unless I do 70-80K of cardio per week.
Hang tough Jim. I'm right there in that club with you, and I know how hard it is. It's to the point where I either too 80 hours of cardio a week or starve myself to lose weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #925
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

hang in there Jim, you will work it out buddy

I am having a real hard time losing it too, normally eating what i am i would be shreading weight, but im losing a thing atm

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #926
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I feel for you with the meds, I'm having issues myself with a new med (at least, I hope it's the med) which I have got to get sorted out.

Seems quite a few people when they tidy up their diet end up with worse blood pressure, cholesterol and such; not everyone but quite a number of people. And, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Hope you get it sorted. Awesome work, nevertheless
Thanks Babs - nice to know others are in the same boat. It sort of like that joke where a man who ate at mcdonalds all his life acidently ate brocoli and died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hang tough Jim. I'm right there in that club with you, and I know how hard it is. It's to the point where I either too 80 hours of cardio a week or starve myself to lose weight.
Thanks Steve. I didn't realize you were such a hardloser as well. I'm optimistic that once the meds are clear out of my system, the fat will start melting and I can get out of the club. I have also picked up some Hawthorn Berry to help lower my BP. Crossing my fingers I can get it done without meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
hang in there Jim, you will work it out buddy

I am having a real hard time losing it too, normally eating what i am i would be shreading weight, but im losing a thing atm

Carl.
Thanks Carl!! Maybe being a hardloser is a symptom of being a Geezer. This is now the second go round with this issue. A couple of years ago the same thing happened. When I went off the meds, the fat started to finally melt.

I also hope you can get your fat loss sorted somehow, although it is comforting to hear others here have similar issues.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #927
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Fingers crossed for you regarding these medical issues, Jim. I am betting that once you drop a little of your insulation that your BP gets back to a more acceptable level (my baseline BP has risen slightly with my BW).

It's unfortunate that the tremor meds kill your metabolism.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #928
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post

Thanks Steve. I didn't realize you were such a hardloser as well. I'm optimistic that once the meds are clear out of my system, the fat will start melting and I can get out of the club. I have also picked up some Hawthorn Berry to help lower my BP. Crossing my fingers I can get it done without meds.
Sitting all day for work just kills my metabolism. I only leave the house once a week.

Good luck with the hawthorn. Someday when you feel crazy, try a week long Paleo test run and check your BP after the week

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #929
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

You'll get it figured out Jim. It's definitly harder losing the older you get, but then again you are wiser and more disciplined now too. Probably better off finacially too, so you can afford to buy all the right things to eat, etc. Just saying there's two sides to every coin. Definitly sucks about the medicine, though. Hope your doc has a good answer for that problem!

FWIW, I don't think more, or longer cardio sessions is the way to go. You could just end up chasing food all the way up the cardio tree. My experience this past year has shown me that when I cardio hard in long sessions, I simply can't stay strict with my food. I tended to cheat too often and couldn't stop myself. Maybe you're different, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Right now, I'm trying shorter, but more intense cardio and seeing how that goes.

Still, point is you'll figure this out. Just keep at it.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #930
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Squatter, sorry to read about your weightloss issues. I wish I had some advice for you, but to be honest I don't.
One thing is for sure, you need to stay on the iron and continue to focus on progression. I have the dogmatic belief that everything will work out as long as you keep lifting and progressing.
Good luck my friend.
Also, I don't have any experience with them, but have you considered a "weightloss" supplement. Maybe a thermogenic or CLA or something.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote