Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Now mind you that I have limited experience with this. . .

I am currently experimenting with higher reps and it's effect on building muscle, and therefore building greater strength capacity. Bigger muscles should be capable of greater strength.

Another approach that has caught my interest is keeping the load at a moderate intensity (say 80%) and work on becoming more powerful with it over time. Think about moving the same load more explosively, as it becomes easier have you not gotten stronger?

Just a couple of ideas rattling around in my brain. . .
Like Steve has said before, he has never known of a weak bodybuilder. I agree with you, but working towards explosiveness might be too intense for me, if intensity is an issue for my eye. However, I could work towards moderate intensity, but stretch it out over time. I thought my session last Thursday was of moderate intensity.

Keep that brain rattling tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Damn it Jim! I really hated reading all that! I know if there is a way to continue lifting you will be the one to find it! There is no one more dedicated or hard headed than you And I can think of at least 2 pretty good reasons to get out of bed every morning, your beautiful wife and daughter
Stay strong and a solution will present itself Jim!!
Ya, I know Rich, it was hard to write it up. My hard headiness & heart is telling me to keep lifting, but the brain is saying otherwise. I am also getting some heat to quit lifting from work colleagues and some family. They blame my issues solely on lifting, which is unfair. They are not considering my love for lifting and how much it means to me. I want to find a work around as well, but anything I do may cause this issue again. However, I will have to take some chances if I want to keep lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
I have a good feeling you will still be able to hit the weights down the road. Don't discount it. With all the help you have here you will find a wayI also second Jay's idea. I think you would really make an excellent coachSomething to consider anyways.
Thanks Lisa! It is becoming that coach that may be a problem. We'll see, you never know!

I have been thinking of training for another cardio-thon tho! About 3 years ago, I did a 6 hour straight cardio session on a stairclimber, elliptical, treadmill, and bike.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #3762
CLEEPER
Max Brawn
Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Behind the neck press
Fav Supp: Fusion 7 Protien
CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

Wow Jim. Best of luck to you man.
Maybe just drop back to light loads and limit the reps. Do more sets of say 135 and let it be accumulated stress in the muscle. Cardio built in .

Just stop before you have to strain to hard .
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #3763
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

You are GREAT, Jim Where there is a will there is a way. People who don't love this just don't understand it and don't understand us. I am reffering to friends, family and coworkers who just don't get it. Obviously your health comes first, but no way give up. You will figure it out. I will bust out the ole 'pom poms' for you.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #3764
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
Wow Jim. Best of luck to you man.
Maybe just drop back to light loads and limit the reps. Do more sets of say 135 and let it be accumulated stress in the muscle. Cardio built in .

Just stop before you have to strain to hard .
Thanks Chad. Yep, it's going to be a long slow winding road back to any lifting with an emphasis on cardio. At any rate, I refuse to be a couch spud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
You are GREAT, Jim Where there is a will there is a way. People who don't love this just don't understand it and don't understand us. I am reffering to friends, family and coworkers who just don't get it. Obviously your health comes first, but no way give up. You will figure it out. I will bust out the ole 'pom poms' for you.
Indeed Lisa, they don't get it at all, and I can argue until I am blue in the face and they just blame lifting for everything. I think in part they just use it as justification for there own lack of exercise.

Together, we will figure out something.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #3765
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
...and they just blame lifting for everything. I think in part they just use it as justification for there own lack of exercise.

Together, we will figure out something.
Yep!

If I slip off the curb and twist my foot, because I lifted it must be the weights.
If I vaccuum and pull my shoulder, because I lifted it must be the weights.
If I'm allergic to grass and pollen, because I lifted it must be the weights.

That's pretty much how it goes, any injury or health issue that someone has is always related back to the sport, of course, there's seldom any real logic going on.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #3766
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Jim, you never fail to deliver words of hope, inspiration and wisdom. I really hope all goes well, we're here for ya, as I know your family and the Crew all want the best for you. You've taught me a lot, and I enjoy watching your videos. Form is awesome. Keep us updated and eat some steak!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #3767
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep!

If I slip off the curb and twist my foot, because I lifted it must be the weights.
If I vaccuum and pull my shoulder, because I lifted it must be the weights.
If I'm allergic to grass and pollen, because I lifted it must be the weights.

That's pretty much how it goes, any injury or health issue that someone has is always related back to the sport, of course, there's seldom any real logic going on.
Agreed - itr seems to be a universal thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Jim, you never fail to deliver words of hope, inspiration and wisdom. I really hope all goes well, we're here for ya, as I know your family and the Crew all want the best for you. You've taught me a lot, and I enjoy watching your videos. Form is awesome. Keep us updated and eat some steak!
Thanks Ben - indeed, I still have some hope to lift again. I am going to talk to Brian, the crew mentor and prez to see what he thinks. Hopefully I will be back lifting in a few months.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #3768
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

You will be lifting again very soon super Jim ... Have patience for a while and everything will be fine in due course ... have a great day brother ...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #3769
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
You will be lifting again very soon super Jim ... Have patience for a while and everything will be fine in due course ... have a great day brother ...
I hope so Ravi. If it's one thing I do possess is very good patience.

Right eye is no better today. Left eye - I have noticed some loss of clarity, but could be due to the extra strain on it. Both of them get pretty tired and sore by mid afternoon tho. Follow up appt. is April 25th, and if it hasn't cleared up/improved on it's own by then they will have to operate again, which is not the ideal option because surgery will just make the Birdshot even worse.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #3770
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Jim, I don't get in to your log nearly enough, so when I do, I have a lot of catching up to do. I just have one question, and I hope you take it the way I intend it to sound (which is a nice comment/question).

How the fuck do you come into my log and cheer on my lifting, when your own is taking a beating due to outside circumstances? You are truly a remarkable man, sir. I would not be able to do the same.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote