Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #1841
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
LtL's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Posts: 12,009
Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
Reputation: 455740
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default

Good work on the increases Jim. Chalk works well for sure. Why no belt for pulls?

One thing I would say about your squats is that you need to really bury them especially on your lighter sets. As the weight gets higher, naturally you won't go as deep. You are bang on legal depth for this set I think but are probably 200lbs away from your max. At this weight, a walk in the park for Squattertron, you should be flying down into the hole, hitting rock bottom and flying back up. I know this will improve as part of your injury comeback but just something you should keep in mind.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #1842
big_swede
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%
 
big_swede's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: sweden
Posts: 11,851
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
Reputation: 477773
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default

Nice work inhere!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #1843
mab54
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
mab54's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 1,955
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
Reputation: 26024
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Default

Looks like the chalk is helping a lot Jim keep it up!
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #1844
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Squatter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: JimGym/CrewGym
Posts: 10,290
Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Reputation: 736846
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Good work on the increases Jim. Chalk works well for sure. Why no belt for pulls?

One thing I would say about your squats is that you need to really bury them especially on your lighter sets. As the weight gets higher, naturally you won't go as deep. You are bang on legal depth for this set I think but are probably 200lbs away from your max. At this weight, a walk in the park for Squattertron, you should be flying down into the hole, hitting rock bottom and flying back up. I know this will improve as part of your injury comeback but just something you should keep in mind.

LtL
For some strange reason, the belt does not feel right for deads. Do you think I should wear it anyway and try to get used to it?

Actually, I have been intentionally stopping at that depth. I did not realize or know I should be going full depth at the lighter sets. I thought, for some reason unknown to be, that I should be stopping at legal depth all the time. I will certainly make adjustments Big Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Nice work inhere!
Thanks Swede!! I hope to be back at usual weights and beyond before the meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Looks like the chalk is helping a lot Jim keep it up!
Thanks Mab!! The bar rolling a bit in my hand was my biggest problem before I had the liquid chalk. Now it stays put so I can focus on the lift.
__________________
My Favorite Part Of Lifting Is Having The Opportunity
Meet PR's: (May 2014)
Squat 475 lbs
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs
Age: 50

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #1845
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Squatter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: JimGym/CrewGym
Posts: 10,290
Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Reputation: 736846
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!
Default

BILL STARR POWER ROUTINE WEEK 3 DAY 1 HEAVY DAY

Squat
155 X5
185 X5
220 X5
255 X5
285 X5
Wanted to improve my depth, and I think I succeeded after the first rep. I think I am once again subconsciously being to cautious again post-injury.

Bench Press
125 X5
145 X5
165 X5
185 X5
210 X5
I had a bit of an unracking mishap, as you can see in the vid. I have been experimenting with my setup of late, and if I don't get it just right, the potential for this is there. Hopefully will not happen again. 210 is +5 lbs over Friday's session. I think my new setup is paying off big time.

Deadlifts
175 X5
205 X5
235 X5
265 X5
295 X5
325 X1
375 X1
Deads felt slightly heavier than they should have, likely from doing the heavy singles on Friday. I will limit my singles to 2 and only do them on Mondays from now on.

I apologize for not getting to everyone's journals of late. I have been so busy helping to renovate Mom's house, amongst other things. In addition, I just discovered the Personal Trainer program I am interested in is now a two year full time program and the deadline to apply is May 1st. It used to be a 10 month full time program and the deadline was May 15th. I am now scrambling to get my "Statement of Career Investigation" (Essay) completed. It is an entrance requirement.





__________________
My Favorite Part Of Lifting Is Having The Opportunity
Meet PR's: (May 2014)
Squat 475 lbs
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs
Age: 50

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1846
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,040
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Great session squatter. Looks like you hit it pretty hard.
About the bench "mishap", it was hard to see from this angle the cause.
I know for myself I need to get as far under the bar as possible/as close to the rack as possible without the bar hitting it during my set (if that makes any sense at all). If I am not close and I have to bring the bar forward upon lift off, it gets sketchy.
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #1847
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
LtL's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Posts: 12,009
Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
Reputation: 455740
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default

Deadlifts looked smooth and easy. I still think you could get further back under the bar and then arch forwards. Watch my bench videos of me or Hazzard to see what I mean.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #1848
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,955
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2583729
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
I apologize for not getting to everyone's journals of late. I have been so busy helping to renovate Mom's house, amongst other things. In addition, I just discovered the Personal Trainer program I am interested in is now a two year full time program and the deadline to apply is May 1st. It used to be a 10 month full time program and the deadline was May 15th. I am now scrambling to get my "Statement of Career Investigation" (Essay) completed. It is an entrance requirement.
Didn't realize it was full time.

No need to apologize Jim. Take care of business.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #1849
MikeM
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
 
MikeM's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,831
Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 290547
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default

I just started arching a short while ago too. A couple things that helped me.

I lowered the pins because once you get tight, shoulders back, etc. and then have to reach/push up to unrack the bar, you lose the shoulders back and most of your tightness. Give it a try and see what you think. Guys at my gym joke that I'm doing an extra rep off the pins, but hey, it keeps me tighter.

Also, in terms of setting up, you seem to be a long way from the bar which exacerbates the reaching for it problem. Try setting up damn near with your head off the head of the bench and your arms hanging straight down from the bar perpendicular to the floor, your shoulders directly under the bar.

Then plant your feet back under you, your feet flat on the floor, but not excessively back, but back where your legs are starting to feel tight, and DON'T move them again. Then use the bar to pull yourself up into the arch and down the bench so that when your traps touch down, the bar is directly over your face/chin, etc. wherever you like it. You've moved down the bench like the length of your head, but feet are still in the same spot, so you are arched whether you like it or not!

Then unrack and go about your business.

Play with it a bit and see what works. Just my .02 Good luck.
__________________
I am Anton Zdravko Martin!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #1850
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Squatter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: JimGym/CrewGym
Posts: 10,290
Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Reputation: 736846
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Great session squatter. Looks like you hit it pretty hard.
About the bench "mishap", it was hard to see from this angle the cause.
I know for myself I need to get as far under the bar as possible/as close to the rack as possible without the bar hitting it during my set (if that makes any sense at all). If I am not close and I have to bring the bar forward upon lift off, it gets sketchy.
Yep, makes total sense Big J. The problem I have is the lat tower attachment is in my way. It will be a work in progress to find the best possible position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Deadlifts looked smooth and easy. I still think you could get further back under the bar and then arch forwards. Watch my bench videos of me or Hazzard to see what I mean.

LtL
Thanks Big Al. 425 raw is my pr, and I would love to get 450+ at the meet. I'll work on getting further back, as I know what you mean. That darn lat tower is in my way tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Didn't realize it was full time.

No need to apologize Jim. Take care of business.
Yep, they switched it from a 10 month full time certificate program to a 2 year diploma program. I am sure my Uncle won't have a problem tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I just started arching a short while ago too. A couple things that helped me.

I lowered the pins because once you get tight, shoulders back, etc. and then have to reach/push up to unrack the bar, you lose the shoulders back and most of your tightness. Give it a try and see what you think. Guys at my gym joke that I'm doing an extra rep off the pins, but hey, it keeps me tighter.

Also, in terms of setting up, you seem to be a long way from the bar which exacerbates the reaching for it problem. Try setting up damn near with your head off the head of the bench and your arms hanging straight down from the bar perpendicular to the floor, your shoulders directly under the bar.

Then plant your feet back under you, your feet flat on the floor, but not excessively back, but back where your legs are starting to feel tight, and DON'T move them again. Then use the bar to pull yourself up into the arch and down the bench so that when your traps touch down, the bar is directly over your face/chin, etc. wherever you like it. You've moved down the bench like the length of your head, but feet are still in the same spot, so you are arched whether you like it or not!

Then unrack and go about your business.

Play with it a bit and see what works. Just my .02 Good luck.
I would say the advice is worth more than 2 cents Mike. I will definitely try your suggestions. Thanks so much!!
__________________
My Favorite Part Of Lifting Is Having The Opportunity
Meet PR's: (May 2014)
Squat 475 lbs
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs
Age: 50

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bad, good, journalthe, squatter, ugly


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank316's Journal tank316 Training Logs 216 03-13-2014 07:20 PM
DW's Journal DieselWeasel Training Logs 1393 09-08-2013 11:32 AM
8/23 ME Bench- Ugly J_Byrd Video 8 11-15-2012 07:43 AM
Good eats. Chocolate Almond cake thats good for you. Rich Knapp Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 2 11-27-2011 10:36 AM
Chad?s Meet Results and A Very Ugly Squat Tug Gibson General Board 0 01-21-2011 12:07 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.