MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Now that you have a child, it will become much harder to train in the sense that you are now being "selfish". I mean that whenever you are at the gym, you are not focussed on family, obviously.

That was hard for me, but you have to carve out "your" time. AND not feel guilty about it. You have goals you want to reach. Reach them in a reasonable fashion that impacts the family in the least way possible.

You reaching your goals, and more importantly showing your kids what it takes to reach your goals is huge for them and for you. But, also be there for them when they need it. Sometimes a workout is just a workout.

And sleep whenever you get a chance!!

Hope that helped.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #1422
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Has Fiorella's crying subsided, at least somewhat, Al? I know your feeding her more. What are her Macro's?

Really pleased to hear your organizational skills are just as good as your lifting skills!!
Fiorella had a rough night on Sunday but was much better behaved last night which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Yes sir, they are!

Albeit pretty darn late, congrats in becoming 'an old man.'
Thanks buddy. I definitely have a few more grey hairs in the beard already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Now that you have a child, it will become much harder to train in the sense that you are now being "selfish". I mean that whenever you are at the gym, you are not focussed on family, obviously.

That was hard for me, but you have to carve out "your" time. AND not feel guilty about it. You have goals you want to reach. Reach them in a reasonable fashion that impacts the family in the least way possible.

You reaching your goals, and more importantly showing your kids what it takes to reach your goals is huge for them and for you. But, also be there for them when they need it. Sometimes a workout is just a workout.

And sleep whenever you get a chance!!

Hope that helped.
Very good post. Thanks Mike.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #1423
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

MAX EFFORT UPPER

Bench Press
Stretch
Quick foam roll of back
Deep Heat to lower back and front delt's
Bar x lots
50kg's x 5
80kg's x 3
100kg's x 3
115kg's x 2
130kg's x 1
Add reverse light bands, taking off around 20kg's on the chest
140kg's x 1
152.5kg's x 1 PB
155kg's x 1 Better PB

Tricep Hell (work up the boards and then back down to chest, if you can )
100kg's working in triples got back down to the 2 board and failed
100kg's working in doubles got back down to the 1 board and failed on second rep'

Cable Chest Flies
High to Low 3pps x 15
Shoulder popped a bit so changed to Low to High 3pps x 12
Shoulder popped worse on second set so won't be doing any of these again any time soon. Sticking to flat cable flies and machine flies moving forward.

Chest Supported Row
1pps x 15
1.5pps for 2 sets of 15

Awesome session last night. It felt like the best bench press session in a long time, probably since I last did reverse band bench and stapled myself with 155kg's twice in a row. The fact that I had a good session was all the more remarkable as 1.5hours before the session I felt like I was going to fall asleep at my desk! Amazing what a bit of caffeine and gym excitement will do for you.

I was always going to do some overload work with the bands today but I wanted to work up to a semi heavy RAW single first. Having doubled 135kg's last week, I figured 130 would be a good number. As it happened it was a very easy lift which is always good. Slapped the bands on and went to 3pps. The bar was a little slow off the chest as I let the bands pull the bar path forward but I corrected this and finished easily. Next up was a conservative 152.5 as I wanted to make sure I hit at least 1 PB. This was a harder rep' but you can see as I get 3/4 of the way up, I actually ease off and cruise into lockout as I knew I was going to get it. I might have been able to get 157.5kg's but I played it safe and went 155 trying to end on a high. Smoked it but had to use a lot of leg drive and really stay with it all of the way through. Felt great to get it though

As if the reverse band work hadn't killed my triceps and front delt's enough, I decided to finish them off with TWO sets of tricep hell. Went with triples for the first set but it was too much. Almost finished the second set with doubles so will try that for both sets next time. LOVE this exercise. Pure brutality. Rest of the assistance was OK. Still experimenting with the flies and the standing cable ones are a NO. They pull my shoulder right through where the scar tissue is so as I get about three quarters of the way through the eccentric, my left shoulder sticks and then pops and keeps moving. It's not painful but it's not what I would call a comfortable sensation either. Throughout the sets I experimented with speed of movement and ROM but nothing helped so I'll drop this type. Finished up with CSR which I love. Really balances out from all of the pressing and adds some upper back strength.

A+ session and Mrs LtL did an awesome job of getting Mini LtL to sleep inbetween feeds last night. All in all, I am a happy camper today. Resting tonight and then max effort lower tomorrow night. I have a bit of a tweak in my hip (same as last week after ME lower) which I think is from widening my foot placement on bench press and driving hard. Nothing major but will need some rolling and TLC to make sure I can squat big tomorrow.

Will post video and catch up on logs here later. Crazy busy at work this morning.

LtL
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #1424
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

LtL
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #1425
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Great session big man... thats an outstanding PB on the bench !!

Good to hear you are fitting your training in around life now, like Mike said sometimes you have to be a bit selfish, but also sometimes, you will just have to miss a session and make it up elsewhere, its all the great merry-go-round that is parent hood.

Looking real strongin the session though mate, makes me excited for when we actually do get round to having a session, in between the babies, lay-off, job searches and other family stuff that constantly gets in the way

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #1426
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Thanks Carl. I feel like I'm still improving session on session and the recent inclusion of more benching to chest has really helped I think.

Look forward to smashing weights with you at some point, when life allows!

LtL
Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #1427
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #1428
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Thanks Rich. ^5

LtL
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #1429
Szelago
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Grats on the big bench!

And how's the little angel?

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #1430
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Thanks Tom. The little one is doing great. I think we're (read Mrs LtL) learning to comfort her a bit better. This combined with adding lactase to her feed to help her digest it, seems to be helping. She's really filling out already though. Wants to take after her Dad I think

LtL