Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #5121
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
In line with strengthening my posterior chain, RDLs were next. I am very weak on these but will keep pushing them and variations over the coming months.
Didn't realize this was a weak lift for you. Does your lower back handle them fairly well?

If so I would like to see you build the capacity so you get close to a 90% deadlift 1RM, if you wanted to. Not that I like RDLs singles, but doing 500 for a triple...that would be a good place to be.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #5122
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If so I would like to see you build the capacity so you get close to a 90% deadlift 1RM, if you wanted to.
Definitely a good goal but I think more importantly, be careful with your form. What I think Ltl needs is to approach that with a very strict arch (like in my recent video) and that is going to help build his Squat/Deadlift hip drive. If it turns into chasing numbers it's not necessarily going to help to correct the problem.

Something me and Ltl were discussing regarding Benching, using assistance to build the main lifts rather than PR'ing in assistance for the sake of it.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #5123
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Thanks J.

I agree with both Steve and Faz but probably in reverse order. First I have to get the basic form right and build some strength in those weak areas. Second I need to push the lift up where I'm doing reps with a decent percentage of my deadlift max.

I will be rotating these in with sets of GMs after speed work to address the weaknesses. This is in line with my idea of pushing posterior chain way harder than quads so that it can catch up. I will also normally have Hazz there to monitor my form which, more often than not, is not as strict as it should be due to my weakness.

Thanks for the input guys.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #5124
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Good work and you're speeding squatting my 1RM

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #5125
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Yeah but it was with my cheat pants on so doesn't count

LtL
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #5126
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

You training tomorrow brah? You'll be excited to know that I'm working so you'll have my awesome company.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #5127
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Awesome. I'll bring birthday cake to celebrate

LtL
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #5128
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

EXTRA

From late last night

Rolling for back and shoulders. Mini LtL's birthday party took it out of me.

Roll quads, hip flexors and hams.

Band work:

Pull aparts
3 x 10

Pushdowns
3 x 25

Pull throughs
3 x 10

Off to TNT later for dynamic effort bench. Speed work against short super minis, tricep hell and more. Looking forward to it.

LtL
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #5129
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good extra session Al. And congrats to your lil girl, 1yold is big! Our twins are 1.5 and raising hell:-)
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #5130
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Yeah it was "interesting" with all of the little kids running riot in the house yesterday

DYNAMIC EFFORT BENCH PRESS

Stretching with bands
Foam roll to warm up back for arch

Speed bench against choked short super mini
Concentrating on turning the bar around just above my chest using just the triceps and pressing in a straight line

Bar for 2 sets
Add bands
Bar for 3 sets of 3 alternating grips
40kgs for 3 sets of 3 alternating grips
Working sets
60kgs for 4 sets of 3 Finger on smooth
60kgs for 4 sets of 3 Thumbs from smooth
60kgs for 4 sets of 3 POR

CGBP
100kgs x 5

Warming up for...

Tricep hell
100kgs up to 3 board and back down to chest in doubles, 14 total reps
100kgs off chest x 5, 1board x 5, 2b x 5, 3b x 1.5 - 16.5total reps

Upside down kettkebell press
12kgs x 8 (3 drops)
12kgs x 10 (1 drop)

Military press
50kgs x 5
60kgs x 5
65kgs x 5 Sadly this might actually be a strict press PB

Rippetoe tricep extensions
Bigger ROM than last week's skull crushers. Great movement.
30kgs x 10
40kgs x 10
50kgs x 10

Shoulder tri set
Lateral raises ss front raises ss overhead press
6kgs for 15 on all of them
6kgs for 10 on all exercises but slower rep tempo and better form

Neutral grip ups
BW x 12, 12, 8, 5, 3

FIN

Pretty good session today. Lots of volume on speed work, next week will be heavier and less sets. First time doing tricep hell for a long time and was pleased to complete all boards with doubles. Wanted to go all of the way in 5s but just had nothing left by the time I hit the 3. Did more shoulder work than usual. Still building this up gradually after months of doing very little. After the kettlebell presses (which are great for shoulder stability) Hazzard suggested tactfully that I should do some heavier stuff (QUOTE: I think you're forgetting that you're meant to be getting stronger.) So I did some barbell pressing. When I ran 5/3/1 a while back all of my pressing was push press and I have done very little overhead since then as it made my shoulder act up. As a result my strict press if woefully poor. Going to work on these over the coming weeks in different rep ranges to try to improve this. Tightened up my form for the second shoulder tri set and was good but the press at the end is pretty useless. Going to drop that next time. Finished up with some neutral grip pull ups to work lats and guns. Good finisher. Went to form failure on every set.

Overall this session took quite a while (1h 40 after warming up) but I was chatting and helping Hazz at the same time. Pretty pleased with how it went. Overhead is a glaring weakness. Maybe if I could get that up, it will help my bench....

Max effort squat/DL tomorrow night and I'm thinking it might be time for some dead stop GMs. Will see what I feel like on the day though.

LtL