Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #1491
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I like the rambling on Big Al - the more I read here, the more I learn.

I also like all the supersets you do. You always follow your own advice as well - the more pull ups, the merrier. I think it's probably a good idea to alternate full ROM shrugs & power shrugs.

As usual, a great session there Al
Thanks Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Rambeling is good.
The older I get, the more I indulge in a good ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just keep spreading this to the young guys. It's the same gig with bodybuilding.

You're right, it's easy to be blinded by what's going on, even around you on a forum. Like I mentioned in the bob People's deadlift thread, a 700 natural deadlift stood for 50 years. That's insane. Yet in the age of AAS and gear, it seems pretty boring.

I'll be the first to admit, even though I am about to break a 1500 raw total. most days I feel pathetically weak. I need a few powerlifting meets against equal competition to provide some measuring stick. Not to be better than anyone, but just to not feel pathetic.
It's nice to get a foot back into reality. The numbers we all throw around on a daily basis are the lifts of dreams for your average gym rat.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #1492
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Awesome work Al especially considering your circumstances. Reminds me of a quote by Layne Norton. "Anyone can have a great workout when they feel on top of the world, a champion finds a way to have a great workout when he is feeling like shit" or something like that lol. Well done mate.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #1493
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Thanks G. I realise that I am not in ideal shape for training at the moment but I'm not likely to get any more sleep any time soon so I can't use it as an excuse. I'm currently about 6months away from the next significant meet which will be qualifiers in January of next year. Got to push on if I want to make an impression

LtL
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #1494
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Nice session big man.

I agree with how easy it is to get blinded by the big lifts that others are making. You ARE competative right now Al, and in 6 months time i think you are gonna surprise yourself with just how easy you qualify.

There isnt that many un-geared, natural lifters out there buddy and you have got to be amongst them with your lifts RIGHT NOW mate.

There isnt a day when I DONT feel small and weak mate tnh and i have to keep reminding myself, that although not particularly big or strong, I'm not exactly small and weak either.

wrt building up the upper back, you should try some high pulls from the floor, they will have the upper back screaming, plus they are much more fun than 'bodybuilding shrugs'

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #1495
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Thanks big man. We'll see how competitive I am next year

Snatch grip for high pulls?

LtL
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #1496
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Thanks big man. We'll see how competitive I am next year

Snatch grip for high pulls?

LtL
Yeh snatch grip are good as you are pulling in a greater ROM, you cant handle as much weight, but it hits the upper back really well.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #1497
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

I'll give them a go tomorrow or Wednesday when I make it back in for Dynamic lower. Thanks mate.

LtL
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #1498
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

You're being a little too rough on yourself, Al. Your numbers look amazing and that's before one even considers that fact that you have a new bride and a newborn. Cut yourself a little slack and keep pushing hard. That meet is gonna be yours.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #1499
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just keep spreading this to the young guys. It's the same gig with bodybuilding.

You're right, it's easy to be blinded by what's going on, even around you on a forum. Like I mentioned in the bob People's deadlift thread, a 700 natural deadlift stood for 50 years. That's insane. Yet in the age of AAS and gear, it seems pretty boring.

I'll be the first to admit, even though I am about to break a 1500 raw total. most days I feel pathetically weak. I need a few powerlifting meets against equal competition to provide some measuring stick. Not to be better than anyone, but just to not feel pathetic.
I feel the same way you do, Steve. I'm nervous to do my first comp (probably at the end of August), because I know how seriously strong some of the guys that are going to be there are. I mean, really... in the SHW class, a 350lb bench and a 500lb deadlift aren't all that impressive. But when you compare do the average joe schmo at the gym, I'm probably in the top 5% of guys there. I mean, the number of guys at my gym who I've seen bench more than 3pps is pretty slim -- you can count them on one hand, and I'm now in that group. I'm about -><- this close to deadlifting 5pps, and I can squat 4pps for reps. I may not be competitive with some of the elite guys who are in the area (and there are some guys with elite totals in the area), but I've come a LONG way from where I started... and really I only started training for strength a year ago June or so. When you consider how far I've come in just over a year, that's HUGE.

Remember, Al. Perspective is the key. You're still at the point in your career where you're gaining strength on a regular basis, AND you have already put up a big enough total for Nationals. In a year or two you should be able to go to Nationals and place in the top 2 or 3, if not win it outright. Don't underestimate where you are and where you've come from. Also, keep in mind that all this adversity you're dealing with in your training schedule can only build your character stronger. As long as you keep hitting the weights and pushing just beyond what you're capable of on a given day, you'll get to where you want to be. I have full faith in you, Mr Beast Mode.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #1500
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
You're being a little too rough on yourself, Al. Your numbers look amazing and that's before one even considers that fact that you have a new bride and a newborn. Cut yourself a little slack and keep pushing hard. That meet is gonna be yours.
Thanks Nard. Pushing hard is what I'm about

LtL