Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steve Reeves Classic (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5533)

AlexBB 02-26-2011 01:13 AM

Steve Reeves Classic

I started the routine last Monday so Im going to post the first 3 workouts (there are a lot of things wrong :P)

Monday
Squat 3x8 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x8 95lbs
DB Press 3x8 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x8 40's lbs
BB curl 3x8 35lbs
dips 3x10
BB calf raise 3x10 135lbs

Wednesday
Squat 3x10 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x10 95lbs
DB Press 3x10 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x10 40's lbs
BB curl 3x10 35lbs
dips 3x10

Friday
Squat 3x12 165lbs
Deadlift 2x5 135lbs
1x5 245lbs
DB Press 3x12 25's lbs
3x12 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x12 40's lbs
BB curl 2x12 35lbs
1x10 35lbs
dips 3x10
BB calf raise 3x15 135lbs

NOTES:

Didnt notice I had to do 5 sets of dips,nor 5-20 rep range on calf raise. I didnt do any abs training at all :(

After doing the DB press I couldnt do the bench press as good as I would like to, I had to rest because my left shoulder was really tired (chest wasnt tired at all).

On wednesday I did 3 DB press sets with the wrong weight, when I noticed I did another 3 sets with the correct weight.

I noticed that my biceps are really weak, on friday I completed the 1st set without any problems. but in the second set I started struggling after the 6th rep :( (maybe I should try using dumbells?)

So yea this was the 1st week of the program, Im trying to get used to it. Please post your comments recommendations :)
thanks

Carl1174 02-26-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBB (Post 119217)
I started the routine last Monday so Im going to post the first 3 workouts (there are a lot of things wrong :P)

Monday
Squat 3x8 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x8 95lbs
DB Press 3x8 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x8 40's lbs
BB curl 3x8 35lbs
dips 3x10

Wednesday
Squat 3x10 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x10 95lbs
DB Press 3x10 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x10 40's lbs
BB curl 3x10 35lbs
dips 3x10

Friday
Squat 3x12 165lbs
Deadlift 2x5 135lbs
1x5 245lbs
DB Press 3x12 25's lbs
3x12 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x12 40's lbs
BB curl 2x12 35lbs
1x10 35lbs
dips 3x10
BB calf raise 3x15 135lbs

NOTES:

Didnt notice I had to do 5 sets of dips,nor 5-20 rep range on calf raise. I didnt do any abs training at all :(
## Make sure you write everything down so you know exactly what you are doing each session
After doing the DB press I couldnt do the bench press as good as I would like to, I had to rest because my left shoulder was really tired (chest wasnt tired at all).
## Thats the idea. The presses take preference in this routine. many of the old time lifters placed more emphasis on the shoulders than the shest. Its not really untill the time of Arnie (and his genetically massive chest) that the bench press took oveer as being the main upper body focus. Remeber the chest will get worked again with the dips anyway.
On wednesday I did 3 DB press sets with the wrong weight, when I noticed I did another 3 sets with the correct weight.
## See above
I noticed that my biceps are really weak, on friday I completed the 1st set without any problems. but in the second set I started struggling after the 6th rep :( (maybe I should try using dumbells?)
## You will become fatigued as the week goes on this is normal. Try to work out a weight that will let you complete the 'whole weeks work' rather than just concentrating on each session individually.
So yea this was the 1st week of the program, Im trying to get used to it. Please post your comments recommendations :)
thanks

Re asses all your weights and work with 50% of your normal max for ALL lifts. Use that as a starting point then work up slowly at one to two reps per set per session. It soon builds up.

I would recommend reading the following threads again (there are a few of us running this program at the moment and making good progress, there are also copius notes in the journals that could help you too)

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...challenge.html There are some write ups towards the end of the thread too that may be of use to to
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...formation.html
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...on-thread.html Some really, really good stuff in here about how fullbodies work.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...lange-log.html GL wrote this routine and is running it himself, there is some great stuff on how it affects you, and how to progress.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...-physique.html I am running this one too, and i make lots of notes after each session, might be of use too.

Hope this helps mate

carl.

BendtheBar 02-26-2011 09:27 AM

Glad to see the log Alex and best of luck!

AlexBB 02-26-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 119221)
Re asses all your weights and work with 50% of your normal max for ALL lifts. Use that as a starting point then work up slowly at one to two reps per set per session. It soon builds up.

I would recommend reading the following threads again (there are a few of us running this program at the moment and making good progress, there are also copius notes in the journals that could help you too)

Hope this helps mate

carl.

Thanks a lot! That definitely helped me a lot. So would you recommend me to work out with 50% of my max? Even if I can complete all the week training with a heavier weight?? And Im thinking dead-lift is an exception to the 50% guideline...

I read your post about your experience with the program and the mistakes you have made. Thats an amazing post with lots of useful information. Thanks again

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 119238)
Glad to see the log Alex and best of luck!

Thanks Btb!!

Carl1174 02-27-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBB (Post 119260)
Thanks a lot! That definitely helped me a lot. So would you recommend me to work out with 50% of my max? Even if I can complete all the week training with a heavier weight?? And Im thinking dead-lift is an exception to the 50% guideline...

I read your post about your experience with the program and the mistakes you have made. Thats an amazing post with lots of useful information. Thanks again

Thanks Btb!!

Yes start with 50% across the board and move up a rep or two each session, you will soon start to feel the effects and get an idea of where you are gonna be weight wise. Remember this is a completely different approach and the weights you have lifted before are irrelevent. With deadlifts the 3 sets are to be ramped up so i would do 50/60/70% as a starter and see how you go. Remember there is still a whole workout to do AFTER the deadlifts and you dont want to completely fatigue yourself on them. It is one thing to push the boundries of what you can do, but another thing to wipe yourself out so the rest of the workout suffers. its hard to do, but the sooner you can get your head aroung the fact you arent training body parts as such, but doing a whole session the easier it will be.

It seems at first like you wont be lifting enough, but you are still getting worked, but more importantly in the first couple of weeks you are preparing your CNS for what is gonna come.

Glad you liked the post. We all have to make the mistakes so we learn, but if you have learnt anything from it then it was worth posting.

Smash it buddy :)

Carl.

AlexBB 02-27-2011 04:02 PM

Hi Carl thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I did follow the 50% guideline the first week of training (so basically the week that I posted is my 2nd week into the program).

Here is my 1RM estimation for the lifts:
Squat 276
BB row 130
DB Bench Press 70's
DB press 55's
BB curl 50
Deadlift 276

So I worked out with half of that weight the first week. and I was able to complete all the week's work. fairly easy

And as in the OP says:
"a reasonable weight to work at for straight sets, is one that lets you complete 2 sets at full reps, and has you stuggling to complete the third."

and because I wasnt struggling in the third set. I decided to increase the weight, maybe I went a little high on some exercises but still I was able to complete the total work of the week. so still Im questioning myself I f I should keep working out from that weight or I f I should go back to 50-60%

bamazav 02-27-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBB (Post 119542)
Hi Carl thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I did follow the 50% guideline the first week of training (so basically the week that I posted is my 2nd week into the program).

Here is my 1RM estimation for the lifts:
Squat 276
BB row 130
DB Bench Press 70's
DB press 55's
BB curl 50
Deadlift 276

So I worked out with half of that weight the first week. and I was able to complete all the week's work. fairly easy

And as in the OP says:
"a reasonable weight to work at for straight sets, is one that lets you complete 2 sets at full reps, and has you stuggling to complete the third."

and because I wasnt struggling in the third set. I decided to increase the weight, maybe I went a little high on some exercises but still I was able to complete the total work of the week. so still Im questioning myself I f I should keep working out from that weight or I f I should go back to 50-60%

My 2 cents? Don't drop back now. If you accomplished all of the sets easily, increase slightly, and try again. There is no easy formula. I would use a slow progression to move toward your optimal working weights. You want to be worked, but not totally shot. Remember with FB you are shooting for the week's worth of work, not one session.

MikeM 02-27-2011 06:09 PM

Looks like a nice routine, Alex. Hammer away at it and you'll hit your goals!

I just started doing full body too, and for what it's worth, I think you should do the weight that you are certain you can complete all the sets and reps for the week. As mentioned, it's the work for a week that counts, not any given day.

Looking forward to your progress!

glwanabe 02-27-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBB (Post 119542)
Squat 276
BB row 130
DB Bench Press 70's
DB press 55's
BB curl 50
Deadlift 276

Good, that is what you should be doing. It will take some time to acclimate into the workout.

And as in the OP says:

For straight sets, this is correct. You will not be able to just use straight sets for very long. You don't ever just go out and jump right into your working sets, and you won't do that with this program as well.

Here is what I would do.

Your lifts estimated 1rm. Lets just set you up to use a progressive scheme from the beginning, and make it easier on you. This is not how I had Carl and Tim do it, but they were a bit more advanced than you.

Squat 276
BB row 130
DB Bench Press 70's
DB press 55's
BB curl 50
Deadlift 276

What you worked with the second week. Use these weights as your second set weight, and use 50% of your 1 rep number as your first set weight. Lets use your squats as an example. See below.

Squat 3x10 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x10 95lbs
DB Press 3x10 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x10 40's lbs
BB curl 3x10 35lbs
dips 3x10

Example squat set.

1x8x135 50% of 1 rep, leave this as starting weight
1x8x165 60% of 1 rep, hold at 180lbs,after adding weight, 65% of 1 rep
1x8x175 add 10lbs for third set, and continue to work program.

When adding weight, only add weight to the 2nd and third set. Stop adding weight to the 2nd set when it reaches 180lbs. This is 65% of know 1 rep max.

Continue to add weight to the third set until it reaches 205lbs. This is approx 75% of known 1 rep max.

When you have completed your squat sets to 12 reps at those weights, then start adding weight evenly to all three sets again.

1x12x135
1x12x180
1x12x205

When you have done this, add 5-10lbs to each set, and continue.

1x8x140
1x8x185
1x8x210

Build again

5lbs is still plenty of weight across all three sets, and the whole week.

There are lots of ways to work your progression, and it can seem confusing. I'm working on another writeup about progression. The progession scheme in the original post is just 1 way it can be worked.

AlexBB 02-27-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 119578)
Your lifts estimated 1rm. Lets just set you up to use a progressive scheme from the beginning, and make it easier on you. This is not how I had Carl and Tim do it, but they were a bit more advanced than you.

Squat 276
BB row 130
DB Bench Press 70's
DB press 55's
BB curl 50
Deadlift 276

What you worked with the second week. Use these weights as your second set weight, and use 50% of your 1 rep number as your first set weight. Lets use your squats as an example. See below.

Squat 3x10 165lbs
DB/BB row 3x10 95lbs
DB Press 3x10 35's lbs
DB Bench 3x10 40's lbs
BB curl 3x10 35lbs
dips 3x10

Example squat set.

1x8x135 50% of 1 rep, leave this as starting weight
1x8x165 60% of 1 rep, hold at 180lbs,after adding weight, 65% of 1 rep
1x8x175 add 10lbs for third set, and continue to work program.

When adding weight, only add weight to the 2nd and third set. Stop adding weight to the 2nd set when it reaches 180lbs. This is 65% of know 1 rep max.

Continue to add weight to the third set until it reaches 205lbs. This is approx 75% of known 1 rep max.

When you have completed your squat sets to 12 reps at those weights, then start adding weight evenly to all three sets again.

1x12x135
1x12x180
1x12x205

When you have done this, add 5-10lbs to each set, and continue.

1x8x140
1x8x185
1x8x210

Build again

5lbs is still plenty of weight across all three sets, and the whole week.

There are lots of ways to work your progression, and it can seem confusing. I'm working on another writeup about progression. The progession scheme in the original post is just 1 way it can be worked.

I was looking forward into working with straight sets, since I havent used that progressions scheme before, and I think I can make good progress with it. But this progression scheme looks good too and if you recommended it to me, I should really consider in doing it. To be honest, straight sets seem to be a very solid approach, and I really enjoyed working that way in these 2 weeks.

Still Im open for trying anything that might improve my experience with full body workouts :)