ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Way to keep pushing through Mike. I've adopted the theory of making the back bigger not necessarily stronger. Yes stronger, but mainly prioritizing in hypertrophy. My feeling is that bench is increasing now because of the greater stability created by pushing from a bigger platform, the back. I'm not sure that the increased strength is quite as responsible.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #422
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That's interesting. I never thought of it that way, ILL. But, either way, I am happy that I'm finally seeing some real progress with rows and chinups, etc., because I'm positive that's why most of my lifts are going up, especially deadlifts.

Good tip, BtB. I notice I made my most gains on OHP this year, when I was adding one set of 10 every session as a finisher. This routine, I skip OHP every other session completely. I think I need to add at least one set back into every session. I believe that would help my bench too. I don't think it's good to skip that every other time either. I'll noddle it some more.

Oh yeah, rows are fun for you, Kit!

As for this week, it is rapidly getting away from me with my schedule just jam packed, and I'm still sore from those big deadlift, bench and row sets late last week. SO, with everything going on, I am just going to turn this week into a deload week, with only two workouts that hit everything, but only going to 80% max. That should flush out the system and ease the strain on the schedule some.

So, today, Tuesday, week 6

GHR: 1x 15x BW

Power Clean and OHP:
3x bar, 75, 95, 105
2x 3x 115

1 PC and Push Press:
5x 125, 135 (only cleaned weight once for each)

Squat:
5x 115, 155, 185, 205, 225

Bench:
5x bar, 135, 155, 185, 195

BB Row:
5x bar, 95, 115, 125, 135

Stiff Deadlift:
2x 5x 185

Chinups: 5, 5
Dips: 15

Thursday, I'll go lighter on the Power move, OH and Squat, and heavier on Bench, Rows, and Deadlifts, but still no more than 80 or maybe 85%.

Then back on schedule next week, hopefully. Oh, and I weigh in, too. I was at 187 to start this week (basically the same weight I started with back in April), so that's good. I'm still just about as strong as I was when I started to cut a month ago (ahead in some things, even or slightly less in others), so that's all good.

This new way of eating is also very easy for me to stick to as well, so I may just keep running it another month, too. We'll see. I do miss my pancakes and oatmeal, though!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #423
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
This new way of eating is also very easy for me to stick to as well, so I may just keep running it another month, too. We'll see. I do miss my pancakes and oatmeal, though!
I love pancakes.

Nice work on the weight loss Mike.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #424
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I love pancakes.

Nice work on the weight loss Mike.
Thanks!

Yeah, my stack of silver dollars is more like a pile of manhole covers! With a soft fried egg and sausage too!

But, I'm realizing, I can shift my carbs to different times of day and they become a lot less bad.

I can't go no carb, as I simply don't have the will power, but if I schedule them for minimal doses post workout, or for one "binge" a week, like pizza or pasta for dinner, or pancakes on a Saturday morning, I can get away with them and still lose weight.

Honestly, if I had total control of my diet ie. didn't have a family and a life, I could nail this down to being a perfectly controlled diet. But, what are you going to do when you have kids and birthday parties and a busy life, etc. that entails eating outside your control from time to time?

That would be discipline. Maybe I'll have that one day.

Right now, just making the gym on schedule and staying in the realm of my diet is all I got. It's working and I'm still don't really dread the squat rack.

There you go.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #425
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Solid stuff Mike, congrats on the progress

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #426
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Push presses are looking strong Mike.

I randomly went to page 12 of your log and found this entry from May 4th. Notice the part I marked in red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Wednesday, week 11

Hypers: 2x 15x BW (my hamstrings really are banged up right now, so took it easy on these!)

Full Squat Cleans 80% of Power Clean weight:
5x bar, 95, 95, 95
5x 115

Bench 100%
5x 65, 145, 165, 185
4x 205 (-1 rep)

Went well, but by the end I was seriously tired! My strength didn't fail really, it was more like I was just exhausted. I probably could have pushed up 5, but no spotter and being tired, said better safe than sorry.

Deadlift 100%
5x 75, 145, 185, 205
5x 225

All overhand grip, held last rep 20 seconds (just barely, whew!)

BB Rows 80%
5x 95, 95
5x 115, 115, 115

ALternate Dips and NG Pullups:
Dips 17, 11, 10 (38 total +4 reps)
Pullups 5, 4 (+1 rep)

I am curious. Obviously, your dips are much stronger than what you are doing now (single set 15 reps). And I notice you have kept the pull ups and dips at 5 reps and 15 reps respectively for quite a while. Why is that?

Just thinking, dipping with some more volume (hitting delts, pecs, tris) may help with your OHP, especially if, as you mentioned a couple of days back, your OHP has stalled a bit?
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #427
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Honestly, if I had total control of my diet ie. didn't have a family and a life, I could nail this down to being a perfectly controlled diet. But, what are you going to do when you have kids and birthday parties and a busy life, etc. that entails eating outside your control from time to time?
I talk about this to my wife quite often. We are in the prime of our family life and there is just so much going on - fun times - that it makes a consistent diet hard. Not that I couldn't, but when the kids bring you an ice cream cake for your birthday, or want to cook dinner, I am not willing to set that aside for some goal that might not happen.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #428
MikeM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Push presses are looking strong Mike.I am curious. Obviously, your dips are much stronger than what you are doing now (single set 15 reps). And I notice you have kept the pull ups and dips at 5 reps and 15 reps respectively for quite a while. Why is that?
Well, the short answer is that I don't know what I'm doing!

The longer version is that I used to do pullups and dips simply as finishers and didn't really care how many reps I did, just as long as it was as many as I could do. I just did them to failure on every set. But, I realized that really only the first set was a decent set and I dropped off significantly after that.

So, a while back I figured I should add more volume by doing more sets of lower reps. So, I was doing 9-11 total reps in two sets of pullups then, but now I do 15-20 in 3-4 sets. Dips were 38 or so in 3 sets, and now are 30 in 2 sets, etc. I also do dips especially a lot more strict nowadays, back then some of them didn't lockout as I used to go kind of fast.

However, as you imply, perhaps I should be re-thinking those exercises, especially as it didn't occur to me about the dips in connection to OHP as I was focused on using them more for chest/upper body.

BTW, that post reminds me that in 5 months, I went from benching 4-5 reps of 205 to 3 reps of 225 now, from deadlifting 5 reps of 225 to 5 reps of 285 now, so perhaps I am progressing better than I think I am. At least I was until recently anyway.

Yep BtB!! I'm right there with you. I'm not compromising stuff with my kids/family for any of my goals. I just try to burn it off a little more working a bit harder, rather than skipping out on Dad/Daughter donut day because I won't eat a crueller!

Well, this hellish week is coming to an end. I didn't make it to the gym today, but I will tomorrow, so I will hit the two sessions I wanted this week.

Next week starts something new, though. You'll see.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #429
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

great work in here buddy, good to see you still at it and the weight coming off too

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #430
MikeM
Max Brawn

Thanks, carl, but I'm defecting for a while at least. I've decided to do a powerlifting split routine for at least the next couple months. I want to raise my 1 rep maxes with a focussed routine and see what happens.

This set of routines was great for me building overall body strength, but I think I need to specialize and hammer low reps for a while before I come back to this again. Maybe I'll even catch you in squats this way HA!

I love the fullbody stuff, but I also want to push myself on 1 rep max efforts. So I started a thread in the training part of the site.

I'll be back here though, next Spring most likely.