Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Anyway, still making progress which is good, but it's been six months with this program and I can sense I might need a change soon. I'll give it a few more weeks and see, but I'm thinking a program switch to something with lesser volume might be a very good idea. We'll see. Just thinking out loud.
Yep that makes sense. A lower volume period to help you peak somewhat can be nice to keep hitting those PRs, with a view to go back to the higher volume stuff when you're done. I think that's a good plan.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #332
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks, Josh! Good advice! I did hit that bench PR today, but I am going to drop back and ramp up again anyway. I think I need to stop pushing so hard on bench for a couple weeks, sort of consolidate my gains, and then go from there.

Thanks, Carl! Yeah, I'm getting good with the powerclean movement. I think if I drop the volume a bit to sets of 5x3, that might help me a lot going forward. Those fourth and fifth reps are getting brutal! I like those inverted rows, too. I think my back needs way more work than my presses, so I look for ways to add in more back movements.

Fasz, you hit the nail on the head. I am getting wore out with these workouts. Too many exercises and too many reps! I need to pare down and focus on a couple movements a day for a little while and see how that goes. I'm thinking something like a 5-3-1 workout, so I still go heavy from time to time, but not with so many reps at maximum. We'll see.

ANyway, storm knocked out internet until today, so here's Monday and today's workouts.

Monday, week 26, started out week at 192, btw.

Hypers: 1x 15x 35

Squat 100%:
5x 105, 175, 200, 225, 250 (PR)

Clean and Press 100%:
5x bar, 100, 115, 130
2x 145 *

BB Row 90%:
5x bar, 100, 115, 125, 145

Stiff Deadlift: 10x 185
Bench: 10x 185

Chinups: 5, 5, 5
Pushups: 20, 20

*Moved squat to first, and I was surprised how much it knackered me for the cleans! I just flat out hit a wall, gasping for breath, etc. Interesting. But, it did make the squats easier, so I will adjust the cleans a bit and move on.

*No cardio at all this week as I have too many time constraints and needed to cut back workout time and days. More on that later.

Wednesday, week 26

Hang Clean and Front Squat (Light):
5x bar, 85, 95
(A bench opened up and I wanted to bench first, so I benched then came back to finish these sets below)
5x 115
5x 125 (Front squat only)

Bench 100%:
5x 85, 155, 175, 195, 220 (PR FINALLY!)
7x 185 (Didn't want to push it)

BB Row 100%:
5x bar, 115, 125, 140, 155

RDL: 2x 5x 165
BNP: 8x 105

Pullups: 4, 4
Dips: 15, 15
Inverted Shoulder Press: 5

There you go. I'm leaning towards doing a 5-3-1 variation pretty much like Spartigus is doing, but with a bit less assistance work for my next routine. I'll know for sure next week.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #333
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Looks like some nice solid work going on Mike.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #334
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Solid work Mike! Keep it up!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #335
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

PRs on squats and bench! Sweet.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #336
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Your doing some series weight there!! Congrats on 220lb bench! 2PPS! Lots of PRS all over the shop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
There you go. I'm leaning towards doing a 5-3-1 variation pretty much like Spartigus is doing, but with a bit less assistance work for my next routine. I'll know for sure next week.
5/3/1 is a great template! Have you had a look at the big but boring template for it? Also do you have the ebook?

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #337
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Finally back to the gym today, whew! We weathered the "hurricane" just fine, but it knocked some trees down and our internet has been hit or miss for the past week, and to top it all off, my gym was closed for a week for cleaning, and my son started kindergarten! So, it's been a little busy around here lately, but not in the weights moved department.

Anyway, I wanted a break and I need to lower the volume on my routine, and shorten my workouts as I have less time to get to the gym now that my son is in school.

GL talked me out of going to a 5-3-1 which I wasn't really keen on anyway, so with some advice from him, I came up with a modified 5x5 that I really like, and I dropped all my top weights by 10% to kind of reset and start ramping back up again. I started it today and we'll see how it goes. More on the routine later.

So, for today: Tuesday, week 1

Hypers: 2x 15x 27.5 DB

Squat 100%:
5x 85, 165
6x 185, 205, 225 (666 on top sets to progress, but I'll stay one more round)

Bench 100%:
5x 65, 145
6x 165, 185, 205 (same with Squats, one more round of these weights)

Row 100%:
5x bar, 100
6x 115, 125, 140 (same)

Deadlift 80% 5x3:
3x 135, 205, 205 (I forgot the other two sets of 205 today, oops!)

Today is easliy the hardest day in the routine and I was done in 50 minutes. Even with warmup and stretching after, I was in the car in 75 min. Sweet.

As for the routine, basically I'm doing an ABA, BAB where I squat everyday, alternate Bench with OHP, alternate Deadlifts and Cleans, and alternate Rows with Chinups and Dips. Four exercises a day with the heavy stuff spread out using HLM. All the heavy sets are 5x5 at 100%, medium can be 3 or 4x5 at 90%, light is 5x3 at 80%, and all Cleans and OHP are 5x3 too.

Progression is 666 for the top sets of the big three, and 3x3 across for Cleans and OHP. Not going to push progression though. I really want to focus on form and really feel like I dominate a weight before progressing.

Anyway, so it looks like this:
ABA
Monday - Squat (H), Bench (H), Row (H), Deadlift (L 5x3)
Wed. - PC+OHP (M 5x3), Front Squat (H), Chinups (3x7), Dips (2x15)
Fri - Squat (M 4x5), Bench (L 3x5), Deadlift (M 5x3), Row (L 3x5)

BAB
Monday - PC+Push Press (H), Squat (95% 5x5), Chinups (2x7), Dips (M 1x15)
Wed - Deadlift (H), F. Squat (L 3x3), Bench (M 4x5), Row (M 4x5)
Fri - HC+OHP (L 4x3), Squat (M 4x3), Chinups (1x max), Dips (1x max)
Going to be adding in cardio next week once I get a better feel for time and schedules.

Enough rambling. Good to be back, excited about a streamlined routine that will hopefully not have me getting so beat up at the gym, happy the boy seems to be adjusting to school well. All in all, things going well.

Now, to see what you lot have been up to.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #338
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Mike! Great to have you back, and to hear you're safe and sound.

Quote:
GL talked me out of going to a 5-3-1 which I wasn't really keen on anyway, so with some advice from him, I came up with a modified 5x5 that I really like, and I dropped all my top weights by 10% to kind of reset and start ramping back up again.

As for the routine, basically I'm doing an ABA, BAB where I squat everyday, alternate Bench with OHP, alternate Deadlifts and Cleans, and alternate Rows with Chinups and Dips. Four exercises a day with the heavy stuff spread out using HLM.
Looks rock solid Mike.

Quote:
Today is easliy the hardest day in the routine and I was done in 50 minutes.
Can't beat that. Get in, kill it, get out.

Quote:
happy the boy seems to be adjusting to school well. All in all, things going well.
How old is he?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #339
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Mike good to see you back my friend!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #340
MikeM
Max Brawn

Thanks, Facz! Yeah, I've had a tough end of summer! I think I ran that last routine a bit too long and it just beat me up. It was my first real fullbody routine using big lifts, that I was just learning how to do properly, and I was so excited to be progressing so much, I ran myself into the ground. I was always trying to do every plane of motion (Power, Squat, DL, Vert and Horiz push/pull, etc.) every workout and pushing every lift to the max or close to it each week. It was too much. I've missed two of the last four weeks completely, and am just now starting to feel really good, and not dreading the gym so much.

The good news is I learned to lift properly and developed I think, a good base of overall strength. Now I need to refine it and move forward, but a bit more cautiously. I'll ramp these weights up to my earlier weights pretty soon and will be hitting PRs again next month or so, but right now I need to feel good about where I am and just push for always better form and move the needle up a little slower.

Which brings me to my goals for this routine which I expect to run until Christmas.

Goals:
Continued perfection of form, and to a slightly lesser extent, continued progress with all lifts, but progress will be made!
Lose 10 pounds of fat, as I want to see my Abs for the first time since maybe second grade? I'm 5'8", I think 180 is a good weight to hit to start. We'll see, but I am going to lose the spare tire come hell or high water. My chest and shoulders are getting big, I don't want my belly to be the first thing anyone sees when I come into view.

Thanks, BtB! Yeah, the hurricane was nothing more than buckets of rain and some gusts of wind. Some lost power or internet, but not really as apocolyptic as the frantic media made it out to be beforehand.

My son is 5, almost 6 (Christmas B-day) and just starting kindergarten. He is a multitude of great things, but adjusting to new things is not his strength and this first week was an upheaval. But he is doing way better than I dared to hope, so we'll see.

Thanks fellows! No need to worry, though (if you did). I am hooked on the iron. This is a new horizon I intend to explore for quite a while. I have a long term goal of setting all the master's powerlifting records in the state of Maryland. If I stay healthy, that'll happen. From there who knows?