Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

You know it occurred to me that since I'm still just beginning my squat journey with such relatively low weights, that I could probably combine all my lifts on Wednesdays and be done in like 15 minutes! 5 Cleans, 5 Push presses, and 5 squats without setting the bar down with each weight of the 5sets and I'm done!
This can work. I've even written some programs that utilize this concept.

This is a basic program that uses that scenario.

Power clean/Press+2 front squats...5x3
Overhead squat...........................3x6
DB Rows/Deadlift.........................3x8 see note
OHP..........................................2x10
Bench........................................2x10
BB curl.......................................2x10

On Fridays drop DB rows and perform deadlifts for 3x5 scheme.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That's an interesting program gl. Good way to not have to worry about waiting in a crowded gym! Never set the bar down and how could anyone be in the way?

Friday:

Squats:
5x bar
5x 95
5x 115
5x 125
12x 135

Felt good. Moving this weight up for Monday. I'm thinking top set of 155.

Cleans:
5x bar
5x 95
5x 105
5x 115
5x 125

No problem.

Incline:
5x bar
5x 95
5x 115
5x 125
9x 135 (+2)
1x10x 115

Going to move this weight up a bit next week as I really felt good. I'm thinking a top set of 145.

T-Rows 1x10x 70
Seated Rows 1x10x setting 7
Inverted Rows 9 good ones (+4) That's more like it.

Was still pretty tired on these finishers like last Friday, and I had more time. Still, I did these perfect form and didn't feel like I was going to keel over dead while I was doing them, so there you go.

Another good week. Looking forward to next week.

On a side note, I am really glad I found this site and joined the forum. I have learned a lot and gotten some very good advice. Two weeks ago, I couldn't squat properly to save my life, and now I not only can do it with great form, but found out doing it properly is actually easier on my bad ankle, back, and even quads. Plus, I'm verifiably stronger overall and making steady progress pretty much all over the place. Nice to go to the gym knowing exactly what I'm doing and exactly what is expected each day, and especially knowing it is a plan that has worked for decades, as opposed to having a list of execises I put together myself that certainly wasn't a proven system, and might even have been counter productive.

Anyway, there you go. I'm off to Charleston SC for the weekend. Back to the grindstone on Monday.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have a good weekend Mike. Glad to hear we're making a difference.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Ah... Great weekend in Charleston tailgating and hanging with all my soccer buddies. Good times.

Started today with pants fitting just fine and still weighing 186 despite a weekend of frivolity (Sticky Finger Ribs with Dry Rub totally the way to go!), so am not going to mess with diet anytime soon.

Monday, third week:
Squat:
5x 55
5x 115
5x 125
5x 140
15x 155 Upped weight 20 pounds

The 14th and 15th reps were pretty humbling. First time I have actually struggled a bit with getting the bar moving off the bottom. But, felt good in the end. No extra set of 10 though as I'm not a masochist.

Cleans 80% Max:
5x Bar
5x 75
5x 85
5x 95
5x 105
1x10x 85 Hang Cleans

Feeling good with this lift now. Going to start adding reps to top set Friday.

Bench:
5x 65
5x 135
5x 175
5x 185
6x 195 Upped weight 10 pounds and extra rep.
1x10x 175

I wasn't concentrating and surprisingly struggled with the last rep at 185, so I got mad and told myself to stop at nothing less than 6 reps with 195. Got to 6 reps just fine, then fell apart on 7, barely got it racked. Should have told myself to do 8 apparently. Amazing how the mind works isn't it?

Deadlifts:
2x10x 155
Extra set just because.

Great day. Loving this program.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
MikeM
Max Brawn

Tuesday:

Medium Cardio:
40 min rowing
20 min intense elliptical

Core:
2x 15 x180 on crunch machine
2x 15 x 10 on twist machine

In case you're curious, I'm regularly switching cardio activities and intensity because I'm trying to keep my metabolism guessing, and therefore keep burning fat. I've learned my body quickly adjusts to doing repeated routines and fat loss gets steadily harder unless I switch things up fairly often. Seems I'm just one of those people whose body can find a way to store fat even while actually running in a marathon apparently.

I'm also regularly switching Core activities because I'm not really trying to "progress" with them. I want to hit them different ways because I think that will make them stronger overall. That's my theory anyway.

Well, that and mentally I do like doing a variety of different things too and this is a way to get some variety since my workout is pretty repetitive.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
MikeM
Max Brawn

Wednesday, week 3

Cleans 90% Max
5x bar
5x 75
5x 95
5x 105
5x 115
1x 10 x 95 Hang Cleans

Getting good with this. We'll see how good on Friday.

Squat 80% Max
5x bar
5x 85
5x 95
5x 115
5x 135
1x10x 95

No trouble.

Push Press Max:
5x bar
5x 95
5x 115
5x 125
6x 135 +1 rep
1x10x 95 BNP

Felt strong, but wrist felt funny, so better part of valor bailed on any more extra reps. BNP, didn't feel wrist at all, so I'm wondering if I just pushed a bit funny one time. Whatever. Don't think it's an issue.

Pullups: 5, 5
Chinups: 6, 4 (-1 rep. Bitter!)
1x10x 145 lat pulldown

I usually use a platform so I just start pulling from my tippy toes, but today I had to work in with some guys doing crossovers, so I had to jump for the bar which I didn't think would have been a problem. Well, no. Big problem in that I started swinging and was all over the place controlling myself getting tired faster, etc., so I struggled all the way through these! I also yanked that elbow again on the second set of pullups, lovely. Didn't bother the chins, but still, very frustrating. Another lesson learned.

Still, good day all in all.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #27
MikeM
Max Brawn

Thursday, week 3

Cardio:
45 min elliptical, blasted this just as hard as possible.
15 min walking

Core:
2x 15 kneeling cable crunch with whole stack
2 x 30-40 second Side Plank for each side (Seriously, whoever invented these has simply lost his inherent love for humanity).
2x 15 x 155 on lumbar machine

2x 15 Hip Raises
2x 15 Swiss ball hamstring rolls (lying on back, heels on ball, roll it back to butt and straighten back out again)

Good day
Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #28
MikeM
Max Brawn

Week 3 in the books. Mixed feelings. You'll see.

Squat:
5x bar
5x 115
5x 135
5x 145
12x 155
1x10x 135

No trouble. Moved the lighter sets up a bit so I wouldn't be switching so many plates. Stopped at about parallel on the extra set of 10 as I'm taking it easy on my hips a bit just as a precaution. Definitly moving this weight up again for Monday, I'm thinking 175. I'll bet I could go higher, but I'm forcing myself to be cautious, which I think is wiser for the long run.

Cleans Max:
5x bar
5x 95
5x 105
5x 115
6x 125 +1 rep
1x10x 105 Hang cleans

Now for my real problem. I see trouble in the future with this lift as I finished reading Starting Strenth last night and I realize the way I catch the bar is definitly going to be an issue going forward. This is aggravating as I really thought I had the movement down. Anyway, catching it with my hands and shoulders won't work as the weights get heavier and I'm risking my wrists and elbows, which is ominous as the only troubles I've had so far have been slight wrist an elbow issues.

Bottom line, I have to practice catching the bar on my shoulders with my elbows up, which is hard for me at the moment. But, I have a plan for adding some wrist stretching and using my first two warmups squat sets as front squat sets to help ingrain how to do this right and become more flexible. I also need more work on that hook grip, as using that will ease any pressure I might be feeling in my forearms, which causes my elbows to be at risk unless I am butt perfect with form, which will be harder as the weights go up.

Seriously, if I had known how frigging hard this lift was to do properly, I doubt I would have started this program this way. I'd have done deadlifts instead. But, there you go. It's a challenge that will keep me motivated for a while to resolve it anyway.

Incline:
5x bar
5x 115
5x 125
5x 135
8x 145 upped weight 10 pounds and +3 reps!
1x 10x 125

At least pressing is very good news. I am crushing some pressing! Nice!

T Row: 2x12x 70 +2 reps
Seated Row: 2x12x setting 7 +2 reps
AMAP Inverted rows: 10 good ones

I've decided if I hit 12 reps with these, I can move them up. So next week, 80 on T Rows and Setting 8 on Seated Rows.

There you go. Squats progressing slowly, Cleans becoming a bit frustrating, but Pressing moving along very nicely.

All in all, not so bad I guess, looking forward to next week anyway.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Cleans are a bear for me to. I physically can't get my hands near my shoulders. I really would like to make the lift a staple but I am just too clunky.

Slow progression for the win! Great work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
MikeM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Cleans are a bear for me to. I physically can't get my hands near my shoulders. I really would like to make the lift a staple but I am just too clunky.

Slow progression for the win! Great work.
This was very helpful. Thanks.

I was and am feeling very frustrated that I've committed two months to this lift (1 month before I even started this thread), and just when I thought I was making real progress, it turns out I've just been flinging a bar around like an idiot for two months, and now have to start almost all over again.

Then again, I'm better when there's a challenge involved! So, steel cage death match announced right now. I'm leaving on vacation for ten days April 15th, either I have mastered this lift and am making progress by then, or Bill Starr can kiss my ass and I'm dropping this lift like a bad habit when I come back!

Seriously, why would any obviously ridiculously strong, clearly ungodly coordinated and gumby flexible person pick this god forsaken lift as the core lift for beginner athletes!?!

I think Starr was a sadist. It's the only explanation.

I'm banishing any thoughts of weightlifting for the entire weekend. Monday the steel cage match begins. Good luck Bill Starr.