the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I really didn't expect for Jas to work this. He doesn't have the experience to see that everything he wanted to work on is right in front of him.

He scoffed at it before he had even worked it. Let alone work it for 12-16 weeks and see then changes it would have made to his frame. He would have dropped a lot of weight working this program, had he worked it hard.

Those 2 sets of bench still worked out to 60 reps per week, and you could have pushed heavy weight to build solid pec muscle. A point he made very clear he wanted.

It is the exact same thing with the Reeves program. You have to work it, and get deep into it to feel how it is affecting your body.

A particular comment about the Reeves I've gotten is that there is not enough Tricep work. Of course these people have not ever worked the program. If they would just do the work, they would be able to see and feel all three heads get hit, and grow.

Several people warned me about Jas, and they were spot on with their assesment. I had no doubt they were correct. I gave the boy some rope, and like any idiot, he hanged himself with it.
Triceps def take a hit with the ohp,bench and dips. Some people are just not in the right frame of mind and look more at splits. Running a reeves like routine makes you shift your thinking.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #192
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

A particular comment about the Reeves I've gotten is that there is not enough Tricep work. Of course these people have not ever worked the program. If they would just do the work, they would be able to see and feel all three heads get hit, and grow.
I run into this fear on a daily basis.

I do no direct tricep work, and really have done little for years.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #193
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I run into this fear on a daily basis.

I do no direct tricep work, and really have done little for years.
I find this interesting, esp since my arms work is heavy on tri pushdowns!

What do you consider (or a better question: NOT consider) 'direct' triceps work?

Do you dip? I can't dip. But I used to, and I loved it.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #194
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
I really didn't expect for Jas to work this. He doesn't have the experience to see that everything he wanted to work on is right in front of him.
## Thats the rouble with guys like Jas, they think if it doesnt look like something out of Flex magazine then it cant work.
He scoffed at it before he had even worked it. Let alone work it for 12-16 weeks and see then changes it would have made to his frame. He would have dropped a lot of weight working this program, had he worked it hard.
## the other trouble is they dont want to work HARD, they just think if they go through the motins, doing the same routine the pros do then they will get the same results... forget the years of dedication, blood, sweat and tears in the weights room... Oh no just do Flex's routine for a montha nd your good
Those 2 sets of bench still worked out to 60 reps per week, and you could have pushed heavy weight to build solid pec muscle. A point he made very clear he wanted.

It is the exact same thing with the Reeves program. You have to work it, and get deep into it to feel how it is affecting your body.

## There is more than enough chest, tricep and every other bit on the full body routines that you write GL. I can feel my tris aching, before i even do dips on the Reeves classic and im sure most people that run it are the same. Normally for a routine to completely fail, especially for a newb, it is the fault of the person running it, not the routine itself.

Several people warned me about Jas, and they were spot on with their assesment. I had no doubt they were correct. I gave the boy some rope, and like any idiot, he hanged himself with it.
Like i said before the guys a **** !!!!

Carl.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #195
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I find this interesting, esp since my arms work is heavy on tri pushdowns!

What do you consider (or a better question: NOT consider) 'direct' triceps work?

Do you dip? I can't dip. But I used to, and I loved it.
Well I have focused heavily on close grip benches, and as of late dips. I also pound myself with a lot of chest and shoulder pressing.

I think the fear that is being presented here is that direct, isolation-style triceps work must be used no matter what, or else the triceps will not grow.

I am not by any means saying direct tricep work is useless, or never needed. A program has to be looked at in its entirety. A fullbody workout with chest presses, overhead presses and dips each day really stimulates the triceps. You are getting heavy work in to the tune of 18 sets a week. This doesn't seem like much, but is actually more than more volume split programs.

Most split programs use a weekly 6-9 pressing movements for chest, and some isolation lifts. They also use 3-4 weekly pressing sets for shoulders, and some isolation lifts.

These are generalizations of course, but I believe good generalizations.

So in a Weider split, triceps are hit with 9-13 weekly pressing sets.

In many fullbody workouts, you are hitting triceps with 18 pressing sets per week, or possibly more if a 5x5 is involved, and works shoulders multiple times per week.

So in a split context extra tricep work may be needed. But in a fullbody context it depends on the program and it's design.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #196
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well I have focused heavily on close grip benches, and as of late dips. I also pound myself with a lot of chest and shoulder pressing.

I think the fear that is being presented here is that direct, isolation-style triceps work must be used no matter what, or else the triceps will not grow.

I am not by any means saying direct tricep work is useless, or never needed. A program has to be looked at in its entirety. A fullbody workout with chest presses, overhead presses and dips each day really stimulates the triceps. You are getting heavy work in to the tune of 18 sets a week. This doesn't seem like much, but is actually more than more volume split programs.

Most split programs use a weekly 6-9 pressing movements for chest, and some isolation lifts. They also use 3-4 weekly pressing sets for shoulders, and some isolation lifts.

These are generalizations of course, but I believe good generalizations.

So in a Weider split, triceps are hit with 9-13 weekly pressing sets.

In many fullbody workouts, you are hitting triceps with 18 pressing sets per week, or possibly more if a 5x5 is involved, and works shoulders multiple times per week.

So in a split context extra tricep work may be needed. But in a fullbody context it depends on the program and it's design.
Thanks BTB. This is very helpful to me.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #197
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Hey guys, when did this log become so popular??
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #198
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

^
It was all you Babs

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #199
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
^
It was all you Babs
The Google Queen strikes again...if you're gonna be a "Multiple Miggs" (Silence of the Lambs), you better be sure to change your user name
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #200
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

^

"...Multiple Miggs in the next room. He hisssed at you... what did he say?"

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS