Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

Thanks BTB! Its nice to be able to set PRs everyday, be it weight or rep records. It really keeps things interesting and forces me to push myself even when I am not really feeling it.

Deadlift day is always a really challenging day for me, today wasn't different, but I did have a cheat night last night and a solid breakfast this morning which really helped a lot I think.

Deadlifts
200x5
230x5
240x10
240x10
240x15 PR

Front Squats
145x3
165x3
185x3

Hanging Leg Raises
BWx11
BWx8
BWx6

Kettlebell Swings
48kgx10
48kgx10
48kgx10
48kgx10
48kgx10

I probably could've pushed the last set of deads a few reps more, but my forearms were screaming. Front Squats were easy (maybe too easy?) and the hanging leg raise numbers are much lower because I actually tried to pull my feet to the bar instead of just my knees to my chest.

I threw in the kettlebell swings to help with my glutes/hamstring strength and also for a bit of conditioning, never really done really heavy swings for low reps, but I liked them much more than lighter/higher reps.

Next week is go time, the Realization Phase were I am going for max reps at 75% of my working max. Hoping for 20 reps on the squat and bench, and 15 reps on the deads and military press.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #22
AdamF
Brawn

Default First Day of PRs

First day of the Realization Phase started off with Bench as always. I feel that today was a great session despite not really eating much today and having a long work day right before. Oh well haha.

So first to explain for those that may be slightly fuzzy on the names of the week, this week is basically PR week or as some may know it as the 5/3/1 week. The whole point is to go in with the big lift and crush it in one set and go to complete failure. The standard is whatever rep week you are on, so this month's standard is 10. Any reps over 10 go toward upping your 1rm. Today is set the rep goal at 20 even though I knew it would be impossible to hit, this way I would try to push myself beyond a reachable goal.

Bench
100x5
120x3
140x1
150x17 PR

Row
125x5
140x3
150x7 PR

Dips
BWx13 PR
BWx8
BWx6

Curls
75x10 PR
75x9
75x8

I hit 17, which was about 3 or 4 more than I thought I was going to hit after the single at 140 felt much heavier than it should've. I kinda screwed up the rows because I was supposed to go for 155 but accidentally put on only 150. Oops. Still a PR though, not complaining. Hit a PR on dips too, prolly going to start adding weight once I can hit 15 reps. The curl PR was pretty swell also, but nothing to sneeze at and really doesn't count for much.

So my new calculated maxes are Bench 220>235!! and Row from 165>185. Chad suggest in the book to keep new training maxes at least 5% under new calculates maxes. My new bench max will be 215, which is about 9% under new max, and Row will be pushed to 175. So I am stoked about how today went and hope it sets the tone for the rest of the week. Stay tuned.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Good job bro, a lot of PR's there.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
AdamF
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
Good job bro, a lot of PR's there.
Thanks ripped! Not nearly the numbers many guys are posting up here but I'm working hard and staying consistent.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
AdamF
Brawn

Default SQUAT PR!

Squat day, hit a huge PR and actually something I have wanted to try for a while. Squat form went to absolute hell around rep 13 and my rhythm hit a brick wall after about rep 15. It took me an entire Iron Maiden song to complete the set, but I did it.

Squat
150x5
180x3
210x1
225x20 PR

Deficit Deadlift
220x5
250x5
280x1

So I am moving my squat from 300>330. Quite a jump but I know I can hack it no problem. Deficit deads were good too, will be moving up just 10lbs as outlined in 5/3/1 so 325>335. Good day though, my legs are on fire!! I don't know if I will ever consider doing a 20 rep squat program after today though. Wow.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
AdamF
Brawn

Great session today. Its awesome to see how I am getting noticeably stronger even though I certainly do not feel so. Looking back at my log before this session, I saw that I was only getting 14 reps with 105. How was I supposed to beat that number with 115? No idea, but I did.

Press
85x5
95x3
105x1
115x15 PR!
First 10 went up like nothing, which is surprising because in weeks before after 8 I was dying.

Incline Bench
125x5
140x3
155x6 PR
Easy, actually cut it a few reps short.

Pullups
BWx7
BWx5
BWx4

So I am going to move my Press up from 155>165. I hope I don't shoot myself in the foot with this one, going up 10 instead of 5, but after todays performance, I think I will be ok.

I am moving my Incline Press up to 185 now that I have a feel for the movement and everything feels light. Shouldn't be a problem there. Check back on Friday, shooting for a 275x20 Deadlift. Stay tuned.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
AdamF
Brawn

Last day of the realization phase. Kinda sucked actually, felt a little burnt out today from hitting everything else balls to the wall, and having the hardest lift up last. Didn't hit my rep goal, but just like the bench and squat, I set the bar high so I wouldn't puss out. High-rep deadlifts are killer on the low back and even though I pull sumo, I could still feel the crazy low back pump.

Deadlift
185x5
220x3
255x1
275x15 PR
Still a rep PR, but not quite as much as I was hoping for.

Front Squats
155x5
175x3
195x6 PR
This was 5/3/1 day for this lift, and honestly 195 felt so easy, I kept going and still left a rep or two in the bank. Adjusting my training max accordingly.

Snatch Grip High Pulls
135x3
145x3
155x3
155x3
155x3
After reading Get Wide! by Steve Pulcinella, I decided to add these in as upper back work. Felt good, basically a hang clean without racking at the top. Will progressively add weight as long as I make 5x3 reps.

Hanging Leg Raises
BWx6
BWx5
BWx4
Abs were fairly tapped out by this point. By I actually managed a full ROM on every rep, which is why the reps are much lower than the half reps I have been working on.

So far, a decent session taking everything into account. Although I'm slightly concerned that these super high rep sets are doing naught for my 1rm. They are certainly building work capacity and a bit of muscle though.

Get Wide! article for anyone who may be interested.

Also just to throw this in real quick, I have decided after much deliberation, that I am planning on competing raw at the Maryland States sometime in late November. Hoping to post a decent total for my first meet so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
AdamF
Brawn

Default Squat Deload and Changes

Starting my deload week. Did squats today because I need to be in and out tomorrow because of class/work. Obviously and easy day today, decided to take today though to introduce some new changes that I have been tinkering with for the past few months.

After much research and debate, I feel that my assistance work wasn't really assisting. Granted it obviously did not take away from any of my lifts, but I believe it was too much intensity with the assistance work and not enough volume. So I am slightly changing up my assistance and only replacing a few exercises.

Also, my squat form is not where it needs to be. The high rep work this past month with my squats caused me to be fast and loose with my form and not really make a conscious effort to stay tight. I was also sitting down too much and not back enough. To me this is caused by having a stance too close and wearing weightlifting shoes instead of my chucks. So today I put the chucks back on, widened out my stance, and really stayed tight and controlled. Felt much much better.

Squats
120x5
150x5
180x5
I realized that the key to a tight back in squatting is completely dependent upon a super tight upper back. Keep your traps together, shove the knees out, and everything else kinda takes care of itself. Now i just need to keep my head in one spot.

Pause Squats
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
Deficit deads weren't helping my squats. If I get stuck in a squat, it is just out of the hole, so I am curious to see if pausing, then exploding out of the bottom will help push through. Will usually use my first work set weight as the weight for these.

Split Squats
45x5
45x5
45x5
These were reallly awkward to get into position with. Pretty much have to unrack the bar set the back foot, then hop the front foot where it needs to be, which could be dangerous with heavier weights. Once I was in though these felt much better than reverse lunges.

Hanging Leg Raises
BWx12
BWx11
BWx10
Blah. Hate ab work, but now my ab weakness is kinda starting to show so I really need to push this.

Hopefully these new changes help more than the old assistance work. Everything else with be fairly much the same, going for 3x10 though on the main assistance instead of 5/3/1. Also going to do wide good mornings after deads instead of front squats because I pull sumo.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #30
AdamF
Brawn

Default Bench Deload

Thanks Rich!! Rock on man!

Today went from being a quick in and out cause I had to go to class, to a quick in and out cause I'm getting sick. Awesome...
Good thing its on a deload week and not a week that matters.

Bench
80x5
100x5
120x5
Easy and light, since I want to compete in the USAPL, I need to keep my full foot on the ground, so I started working on that today. No more Dave Tate style benching.

Row
65x5
80x5
95x5
Easy. Nothing to report.

Dips
BWx13
BWx8
BWx7
Same here. Started getting dizzy by the last set though, feeling sick.

Deload week is definitely needed. Can't see how some people think it is useless and try to skip it. Setting themselves up for quick failure. Be back wednesday with either presses or deads.