Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #401
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Faith No More.

Rack pull PR. Nice work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #402
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Looking good, jp. I see your iPod list looks nothing like mine. I DO have Blood, Sweat, and Tears; the group, not a song title. Oh, I also have some Limp Bizkit. Just the clean version of "Faith." The tunes I really love make lousy lifting music. If there's something on at the gym like, "Tom Sawyer," or "Spirit of the Radio," or the aforementioned Limp Bizkit, then I can appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise, I've learned to tune stuff out or put more plates on and make more noise.

Solid session though my friend. You're well on your way back. Enjoy your last week of vacation. Will you have any restrictions at work? What type of work do you do? If it's a cool job, do you need help? I'm looking.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #403
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Great work JP. Strong rack pulls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Faith No More.

Rack pull PR. Nice work.
Thanks guys. Iron and metal go well together.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #404
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn

jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Looking good, jp. I see your iPod list looks nothing like mine. I DO have Blood, Sweat, and Tears; the group, not a song title. Oh, I also have some Limp Bizkit. Just the clean version of "Faith." The tunes I really love make lousy lifting music. If there's something on at the gym like, "Tom Sawyer," or "Spirit of the Radio," or the aforementioned Limp Bizkit, then I can appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise, I've learned to tune stuff out or put more plates on and make more noise.

Solid session though my friend. You're well on your way back. Enjoy your last week of vacation. Will you have any restrictions at work? What type of work do you do? If it's a cool job, do you need help? I'm looking.
When I'm not lifting weights, I'm a university professor in neuroscience. Mainly involves sitting at a computer and lots of meetings, so no problem as far as recovery. Its a very cool job, but it takes 5 years of grad school to get there...which is sortofa pain...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #405
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn

Default Wed Sept 14th 2011

Dynamic effort bench.
I've been following a seminar by Dave Tate and got some pointers on dynamic effort days. First off, DE days are not strictly about bands and chains, but moving the weight quickly. If you can't move the weight quickly, there's no point in adding bands. You might as well do some plyo work or toss a med ball (both valid exercices).

My specific dynamic weakness is in the eccentric part of my bench. Lowering the weight slowly increases your time-under-tension, and reduces your explosiveness in the concentric part of the lift. I feel there is no point in working with band tension if I want to work my eccentric bench speed. Today, I worked with 50% of a 1-rep max where I don't break form. Given that my raw max is around 300 pds, I am applying 300 pds of pressure on a 150 bench. That pressure should translate to some rapid triples, but I really need to speed up the eccentric motion. Any advice would be helpful.

Bench press:
155 x 3 x 10 sets

Triceps dips:
body weight x 10
body weight + light bands x 10
superset:
body weight + 45 pds + light bands x 5
body weight + 25 pds + light bands x 5
body weight + light bands x 5
body weight x 5

Incline DB flies:
50 x 12
50 x 10
50 x 8

superset:
floor pushups x 10
pushups light incline x 10
pushups medium incline x 10
pushups high incline x 10

Concentric DB curls:
35 x 12
35 x 10
Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #406
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
First off, DE days are not strictly about bands and chains, but moving the weight quickly.
I am really starting to apply this concept in my deadlift training and I think it's paying off. Been doing a lot of Olympic style lifts, and I think the explosive mindset is helping me when I do go heavy.

I am trying to figure out quality ways to apply this to bench press.

I might suggest starting a new thread with your question. I think you'll get some good responses.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #407
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am really starting to apply this concept in my deadlift training and I think it's paying off. Been doing a lot of Olympic style lifts, and I think the explosive mindset is helping me when I do go heavy.

I am trying to figure out quality ways to apply this to bench press.

I might suggest starting a new thread with your question. I think you'll get some good responses.
Good idea. Here it is:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...ic-method.html
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #408
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn

Default Friday Sept 16th 2011

Today was a DE squat day. All lifts were done in powerlifting briefs, using a low (16'') box. The weight was gradually increased until speed decreased and form started to break (knees coming in slightly), after about 8 sets of 2 reps. Then, I switched to a single to finish the session. That last single just exploded off the box.

As the weight got heavier, I noticed a sticking point about an inch above the box. That means I will probably switch to a slightly higher box to gain some momentum at that height.

Box squats:
135 x 5
225 x 2
275 x 2 x 3 sets
285 x 2 x 3 sets
295 x 2 x 3 sets
300 x 2 x 1

DB lunges:
This is a great exercise to work on knee stability and balance. Had a hard time completing the reps.
50 x 8 x 3 sets

Reverse hypers:
This is the third week I work with resistance bands on this exercise. Here I am moving up to heavy bands, and decreasing the reps to 8 instead of 10-12.
Half rack + heavy bands x 8 x 3 sets

Leg curls (one leg at a time):
50 x 10 x 3 sets
Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #409
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Super! Keep it up.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #410
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Strong, strong, strong. Keep charging hard.