Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member
Default Bamazav Slab Protocol

I joined Muscle and Brawn the other day, at the onset of a planned recovery week. I have been doing a fullbody power/ density (P/D) training routine. It has looked like this:

Monday:
Squats
10,6,4 followed by 2 sets of 15 with 30 seconds rest between the sets
Good Mornings
Chins
3 sets as many as possible, followed by 2 sets of assisted chins or Lat Pulldowns
V-Bar Rows or Pendlay Rows
Incline Press
10,6,4, 15,15
pec Deck
Seated OH Press
10.6.4, 15,15
Glass style Front Raises or Side Laterals or a super set of both
3 x 5

Wednesday: everything 3 x 5
Swap Front Squats for Back Squats
Swap Rack Deads for Good Mornings
Everything else the same

Friday:
Just like Monday

The 10,6,4 sets are progressively heavier sets, with the 4 rep set at least one pound more than the previous day. The P/D sets (15 reppers) are done with approximately 50% of heavy lift.

I have been seeing strength gains each week, but am finding it tough to finish within the time I have to train and recover well. I am considering for this next cycle, either going to a Light (15 reps), Medium (10 reps), Heavy (5 reps) rotation or dropping the second exercise for each body area on Monday and Friday. Since I have a week of recovery training, I have a little time to think about it.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Welcome to the forum bro, looking forward to this log!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

I have been seeing strength gains each week, but am finding it tough to finish within the time I have to train and recover well. I am considering for this next cycle, either going to a Light (15 reps), Medium (10 reps), Heavy (5 reps) rotation or dropping the second exercise for each body area on Monday and Friday. Since I have a week of recovery training, I have a little time to think about it.
What type of time frame are you working with?

The HLM is a solid approach. My advice is that is you go that route, make sure you don't try to put too many exercises on your heavy day.

Looking forward to seeing what you work out...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What type of time frame are you working with?

The HLM is a solid approach. My advice is that is you go that route, make sure you don't try to put too many exercises on your heavy day.

Looking forward to seeing what you work out...
I train in the morning after I take my wife to work. I usually have about an hour and a half to get some nutrition, change clothing, warm up and go through routine. I am a Pastor and during this time of year the schedule gets a little crazy. The cycle I just completed was tough, and tended to take a little longer than my time allows, unless I cut rest times short. That then poses its own set of issues. As I stated to a friend on another board, it is alla recovery issue. I am trying to figure out what direction to go to allow adequate recovery between sets as well as after the session.

Clear as mud?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Default 11/08/2010 Planned Recovery Week

During my recovery weeks, I lighten the load, lower total sets and experiment with new exercises. Today I went 2 x 8 and tried a V-Handle Cable Row

Squats
8 x 135
8 x 135

Good Mornings
8 x 100
8 x 100

Chins

V-Handle Cable Row
8 x 70
8 x 70

DB Arnold Press
8 x 35
8 x 35

DB Incline Press rotate to neutral grip at top
8 x 35
8 x 35

Total time in gym/garage - 30 minutes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I train in the morning after I take my wife to work. I usually have about an hour and a half to get some nutrition, change clothing, warm up and go through routine. I am a Pastor and during this time of year the schedule gets a little crazy. The cycle I just completed was tough, and tended to take a little longer than my time allows, unless I cut rest times short. That then poses its own set of issues. As I stated to a friend on another board, it is alla recovery issue. I am trying to figure out what direction to go to allow adequate recovery between sets as well as after the session.

Clear as mud?
You bet.

I tend to do fewer sets because it takes me longer to warmup, and I need adequate rest in between sets of certain exercises. Also, in my old age I simply don't enjoy training much past 50 minutes.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
You bet.

I tend to do fewer sets because it takes me longer to warmup, and I need adequate rest in between sets of certain exercises. Also, in my old age I simply don't enjoy training much past 50 minutes.
I will say, when I was doing a Push/Pull/Legs or a 4 day split, recovery was not as much an issue. This routine is fun and a challenge but recovery has become something to think about.

BTW, I am older than you are, so I understand the aches and pains that come with age.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I will say, when I was doing a Push/Pull/Legs or a 4 day split, recovery was not as much an issue. This routine is fun and a challenge but recovery has become something to think about.

BTW, I am older than you are, so I understand the aches and pains that come with age.
Quite a few of us "old men" around here.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Quite a few of us "old men" around here.
I prefer "fine men," kinda like wine. We are not getting older, we are getting better, smoother, yet more robust.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

That will work.