Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
tomahawk
Brawn
Points: 3,006, Level: 33 Points: 3,006, Level: 33 Points: 3,006, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good posts
Default Tomahawk's 5/3/1 + Rugby

Hi,

My real name is Liam and I am internet best friends for ever with Pat (HumanHorrorFilm) who has been waxing lyrical about this forum for a while.

I live in the UK and I'm currently running 5/3/1 3 days a week (Mon - Squat, Wed- Bench, Friday - Deads + Military Press) alongside my rugby pre-season training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I am currently on week 3 of the 2nd wave and my starting (conservative) 1RMs are:

Squat - 220kg/484lbs
Bench - 125kg/275lbs
Deadlift - 200kg/440lbs
Military Press - 80kg/176lbs

All of these are gyms lifts, I've never competed but it is something I want to do.

I start week 3 of wave 2 tomorrow. I've been cutting weight since I started 5/3/1 (hence the conservative maxes) and have gone from 280lbs to around 255lbs. My aim is to get around 235lbs by the start of the rugby season which starts on 4th September.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum Liam. Looking forward to seeing you smash some PRs. Quite a few guys here running 5/3/1 and making great progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
tomahawk
Brawn

tomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good poststomahawk has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Welcome to the forum Liam. Looking forward to seeing you smash some PRs. Quite a few guys here running 5/3/1 and making great progress.
Thanks. Although I think I have the unique distinction of hitting more conditioning PRs than lifting PRs.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Jwood on the forum played Rugby in college.

Do you play in college or in a league?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
tomahawk
Brawn

I played at university, had some bad luck with injuries so I haven't played a full season for about 4 years (I'm 25 now).

Club I am with now play at a decent standard, 5 leagues off the top and with some big ambitions. Just hope I stay in one piece for the whole season!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I played at university, had some bad luck with injuries so I haven't played a full season for about 4 years (I'm 25 now).

Club I am with now play at a decent standard, 5 leagues off the top and with some big ambitions. Just hope I stay in one piece for the whole season!
I hear you there.

One of my buddies played rugby in a league for 3 years after college. He was always injured.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Welcome to the board, tomahawk. I've been running 5/3/1 myself, but I'm currently on the disabled list. I need some minor surgery this week, but I hope to be back at it in a few.

Your maxes look impressive and are something I might aspire to someday.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
tomahawk
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I hear you there.

One of my buddies played rugby in a league for 3 years after college. He was always injured.
Its more one big injury that I can't quite seem to shake off. I'm feeling better now than ever so I'm really psyched for the new season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Welcome to the board, tomahawk. I've been running 5/3/1 myself, but I'm currently on the disabled list. I need some minor surgery this week, but I hope to be back at it in a few.

Your maxes look impressive and are something I might aspire to someday.
Thanks for the welcome. Hope the surgery goes well!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Great to have you here man, I look forward to reading this log, especially when rugby season starts.

what position do you play?

I have had my fair share of injuries, but I am taking a break from rugby now due to a lack of health insurance. Just not worth the risk, but I may pick it up again.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
tomahawk
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Great to have you here man, I look forward to reading this log, especially when rugby season starts.

what position do you play?

I have had my fair share of injuries, but I am taking a break from rugby now due to a lack of health insurance. Just not worth the risk, but I may pick it up again.

Thanks for stopping by. Season starts in 8 weeks.

I play tight head prop. Did think of trying a different position this season but I like scrummaging too much.

Health insurance isn't a neccesity here what with the NHS but we had to have it at uni to speed up the injury recovery process. I have been considering getting it again.