Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I have this image in my mind of VAL kicking butt on this issue. Wipe this issue out, and carry on Val.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I wanted to say something witty to start this new log right, but all I could think of was this....

Cancer to a lifter is merely a forced deload before the next PR.
Print the t-shirts.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I have this image in my mind of VAL kicking butt on this issue. Wipe this issue out, and carry on Val.

Will carry on, sir. Thank you.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Print the t-shirts.
Ha! Might have too.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Friday, 7/16/10

I had planned on lifting today, but I was so drained from the week. I asked myself, "What do you really have to gain from lifting before your surgery?" I decided it was all just stubborn pride. That's all. I'm going to be completely off for a few weeks, what's a few more days? Anything gained would be lost anyway. No, now's the time to rest, relax, hydrate and feed up. So, I'm going to hang up the Chucks, let the jock strap air out, and let it be for now.

I think the majority of the pain I've been experiencing in my throat and mouth must be some sort of bacterial thing. The doctor said that the mouth is very susceptible to infections, and a cancerous lesion is a perfect gateway for bacteria. The frustrating thing is it really hurts to swallow, and the best thing I've found for pain is ibuprofen, which I'm not supposed to take anymore before the surgery. So, I'll try my best to keep the mouth clean and continue to pop Tylenol.

I turned in my music today too. My band has five shows coming up in the next four weeks. I'm going to miss one for sure and probably three. I don't know if they're going to try to find a substitute, or just do the shows with three horns. I'm not too fond of either scenario. I have been playing music for money since 1984, and I have never missed a show. Not for anything. Upon recovery, my first order of business will be to get my chops in shape and get back with my mates ASAP. I enjoy lifting, but music is my mistress.

I forgot to mention too, that I weighed myself the other day before I went to the clinic. My official starting weight for this journal is 219. I'll probably be close to 200 before I start lifting again.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The rest will do you good. And if you do lose any muscle and strength, it will bounce back quickly.

Has the doctor stated how long you must refrain from playing your instrument after the surgery?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

I asked specifically about that, and his reply was, "Use common sense, about two weeks." Like I said, though. My surgery is Wednesday. Show Saturday night. The guy who fronts the band said he would be glad to pay me just to stand there so we still have a 10 piece band to present. After that show, there's a week off, then we play a double header on Friday/Saturday. Which by then I should be able to do without blowing any sutures, but I'd sure be tentative in my approach, and that ain't my style. So, it'll be one show for sure, but it might be three. We'll see how the substitute arrangement lines up. It might be easier to get someone to agree to fill in for three jobs rather than one.

Short answer: Physically two weeks. Mentally?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Sunday, 7/18/10

This weekend was catch up weekend for me. I got my hair cut (pretty short, because I don't want to have to get it cut with a fresh Frankenstein scar along my neck), mowed lawn, whacked weeds (jslep, you're off the hook for that one). Then for some reason, I hacked out a bunch of bushes along side my garage. They had become unruly and eyesorish over the past couple of years now, but this weekend it became important that I get rid of them, for some reason. And so it goes. It was hard for me to shut off at the end of the day, because I realize that this is it for at least a couple of weeks. I didn't want the productive part of the day to end.

Nothing to do now but pack my bag for the end of the week. Surgery is Wednesday. We're leaving Tuesday night and crashing at a hotel in Rochester so I won't have to get up soooo early Wednesday morning (as if I'm going to be able to sleep Tuesday night).

I'm not really dreading the procedure as much as the unknown of my condition when I wake up. (I'm going to have tubes where? Do I dare swallow? Can I talk? Can I brush my teeth?) And then there's the awkward uneasiness of the week or two of delicate recovery and not being able to shower because I can't get my stitches wet. Man, I'm gonna stank! Thank God for bathtubs.

Lifting is on hold. I'm OK with that. It's just on hold.

Music is on hold. I'm a little less OK with that. I actually got a substitute lined up for me for at least one show. He's an old friend of mine who I haven't seen in about four years, but he lives in town and isn't busy next weekend. He's actually the one who made me what I am musically. He was the first to identify my potential, gave me my first opportunity, then pointed me in the right direction, and let me find my own way. So my band is using him next weekend. For them it's alot like going into Jedi battle with Obi Wan instead of Luke. I am merely, and humbly, the "house that Jack built." Next weekend, they get to play with Jack. I feel alright about letting him sub for me because he's got bigger fish to fry and doesn't really WANT my gig for the long haul. The fragile ego of a trumpet player...

Sweaty day. I gotta shower. Good night everyone.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Sorry I am late to Vals party here. ^5 Val, good out look and keep pushing and fighting. I promise to leave your knee caps alone from now on. lol
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Sorry I am late to Vals party here. ^5 Val, good out look and keep pushing and fighting. I promise to leave your knee caps alone from now on. lol
Well, at least until I get back to the gym. Believe it or not, ever since the first time you threatened my kneecaps, I've double busted my butt in the gym. Healthy kneecaps keeps me motivated. By the way, I just watched the video of you and BTB. I am glad I live too far away to train with you.